256 Posts
42 Users
147 Reactions
14 K Views
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Here's the full game on YouTube (if you can bear it), adding this to the list of games in that thread:

Thanks for posting this. I was at the game and just watched the end of the game replay. It looked like the trainers had to help Lance off the court after the end of the game. I missed that at the game, but did see he was hobbling before the free throw. I'm afraid he may have seriously aggravated his ankle injury. I really wonder if he or Banks will be available for Evansville, and if so, they may both be limited.

ReplyQuote
GoBlueSaluki
(@gobluesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Thank god there isn’t another game until Wednesday. 

can’t wait to see all the excuses for that one when the Salukis don’t look good. 

but but but the defense is awesome 

but but but Brown isn’t playing 

but but but something else. 

🤢 keep it 

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Just a couple of random thoughts we are breaking in 3 new players JD  Coupet and Marcus I know but he only played 10 games last year. Everyone gives JD a pass for missing last year with an injury so let us give Marcus the same courtesy as I am sure he has doubts until he is comfortable. With 2 returning players out with injuries the rotations and figuring them out must be a nightmare with this being said there should not be any excuses for effort or execution but the strengths and weaknesses of this team will be determined and figured out in the near future hopefully the future is sooner than later

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @austinsaluki
Posted by: @usmcsaluki

I think it's reasonable to assume that if Foster was good enough to be playing then he would be playing.

Oh, gosh, no no no no NO! 

Random dudes on message boards ALWAYS  know more than those dumbass experts and professionals! Don't you know that??? 

It could very well be that FW will be a solution if given a chance. It is more l Iikely that he's not ready for D1 basketball at this point in the opinion of the man who recruited him and whose balls are on the line with whether he is good enough or not. 

Those of you calling for FW to play: how many minutes of practice have you seen? 

Again, the staff might decide, in desperation, to pull the redshirt. And maybe it will work out, like it does in a crappy movie. And maybe it won't.

Either way, the redshirt would be pulled despite professionals thinking it shouldn't be: i.e., people who have seen him play way more than you have and are in a much better position to evaluate his abilities at this point.

In my head I started the slow clap and ended this with a standing ovation !!!!

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I think it's reasonable to assume that if Foster was good enough to be playing then he would be playing.

With all due respect, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption at all.  Do you remember a guy named Darren Brooks?  Did he redshirt because he "wasn't good enough to be playing?"

Yes, I've seen Wonders play in private scrimmages.  And I followed his recruitment.  He wasn't runner-up Mr. Basketball in his state for nothing.  He's good.

Again, to me the more likely scenario is that the staff felt they were loaded at 2G this year, giving Wonders a chance to redshirt and get even better.  I won't question what they do from here on out, as I'm sure they will evaluate and do whatever they feel is best for the team and the player.

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

I'll start by saying I love Saluki Basketball, but this is one of the worst offensive teams I've seen dating back to 1985.  The offensive rebounding is absolutely terrible and there's one guy looking to create offense, night in and night out, and that's Lance Jones.  Outside of Lance our offense is inconsistent at best and honestly it's downright non-existent.  Mullins & Co. have to figure this out in a hurry.  There have been enough games played for the players to get comfortable with one another.  There's a lot of athleticism on this team, they're just not applying it on the offensive end.  They need to get in the gym and practice contested layups, free throws, and the art of boxing out.  Some of the basics are missing.

This post was modified 2 years ago by 1DAWG

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

The Weber Painter and early Lowry teams were all  challenged offensively made up for it by getting  cheap baskets on steals put backs and run outs on long rebounds correct me if I am wrong but on the last sweet sixteen team only Tatum could get a shot when he wanted

Psychodawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Psychodawg
(@psychodawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@rockin-dawg 

"I won't question what they do from here on out, as I'm sure they will evaluate and do whatever they feel is best for the team...."  well said!!!!

WOOF!

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

With all due respect, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption at all.  Do you remember a guy named Darren Brooks?  Did he redshirt because he "wasn't good enough to be playing?"

Yes, I've seen Wonders play in private scrimmages.  And I followed his recruitment.  He wasn't runner-up Mr. Basketball in his state for nothing.  He's good.

Again, to me the more likely scenario is that the staff felt they were loaded at 2G this year, giving Wonders a chance to redshirt and get even better.  I won't question what they do from here on out, as I'm sure they will evaluate and do whatever they feel is best for the team and the player.

I think it's extremely reasonable and the most likely answer with Foster.  Your thought process on the staff thinking they were already loaded at the 2G spot supports it: Foster wasn't better than the guys in front of him, because if he was then he'd be getting major minutes and/or starting.

Is he "good"?  Of course he is - every guy on the roster has every high school basketball accolade and award under the sun; some just need more time to adjust to playing D1 basketball and against Valley competition.  IMO my guess is that the coaching staff evaluated and determined that Foster isn't ready defensively; I don't think there's anyone on the coaching staff, or here, who can question his ability to score.  

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

In assessing the underwhelming offensive output so far, I think most of us would have thought the returning sophs (Banks and Filewich) would have taken a step forward this season. So far, if anything, they've both regressed offensively from where they were a year ago.

I like both of those guys' mentality quite a bit and expect at least some improvement from both going forward. Banks at least has been guarding his a-- off, but he's got to find a way to finish some of his drives or at least get comfortable pulling up from midrange.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @1dawg

I'll start by saying I love Saluki Basketball, but this is one of the worst offensive teams I've seen dating back to 1985.  The offensive rebounding is absolutely terrible and there's one guy looking to create offense, night in and night out, and that's Lance Jones.  Outside of Lance our offense is inconsistent at best and honestly it's downright non-existent.  Mullins & Co. have to figure this out in a hurry.  There have been enough games played for the players to get comfortable with one another.  There's a lot of athleticism on this team, they're just not applying it on the offensive end.  They need to get in the gym and practice contested layups, free throws, and the art of boxing out.  Some of the basics are missing.

I expected more from Coupet and Banks so far in terms of guys that can get to the rim.  Really only Domask and Jones can do it right now.  Banks gets swatted at the rim whenever he gets there.  Banks was playing with a mask and a broken nose and probably shouldn't have even been playing on Friday so props to him.  We have 1 scholarship left for next year and it's going to have to be used on a guard that can score and run the offense.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Alcorn State got it's 1st win today at Milwaukee.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @resaluki-88

Their big 5 star Patrick Baldwin was out with an ankle injury.  They haven't really been good with him.

ReplyQuote
Bleacher Bum
(@bleacher-bum)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Good for them! 

It had to be tough to come back from Friday's loss.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Posted by: @salukiworld

Their big 5 star Patrick Baldwin was out with an ankle injury.  They haven't really been good with him.

Milwaukee has some serious pedigree on their roster, obviously starting with Patrick Baldwin Jr, but also some other names you might recognize including; Vin Baker Jr, son of Milwaukee Bucks great Vin Baker and Moses Bol, cousin to both former NBA player Manute Bol and current Denver Nugget Bol Bol.

It must be frustrating being a Panther's fan. They've gotta be one of the most intimidating airport teams in the country. Its quite amazing they've been so terrible thus far.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 18

Share: