26 Posts
11 Users
17 Reactions
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin
Topic starter  

This probably isn't the right place for it but here we go......

https://twitter.com/THefferman/status/1438857445346971659

I can't read the original budget story but at least here is what SIU Athletics is looking forward to. No wonder the interim guy doesn't want to be the permanent AD.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @obd

This probably isn't the right place for it but here we go......

https://twitter.com/THefferman/status/1438857445346971659

I can't read the original budget story but at least here is what SIU Athletics is looking forward to. No wonder the interim guy doesn't want to be the permanent AD.

I have tried to contact people at the university to get the details on this. Are the cuts only to athletics ?  What are the other areas ? Etc… Budget cuts are happening almost every where. I just want to know details. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Time to drop to the OVC, can’t be competitive in the Valley with those kinds of budget cuts. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

In the statement in the Southern on the new budget, it mentions a $3mill cut in each of the next three years. "

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/353-million-budget-includes-2-salary-raises-for-siuc-employees/article_0df25ada-8396-5a93-ad49-e03fd5434fa7.html#tracking-source=featured-homepage

SIUC's Interim Executive Director for Finance: Julie McReynolds:

Additionally, McReynolds said a decrease in revenue for athletics from the pandemic – almost $4.3 million – leading to Saluki Athletics adopting an approach to address financial challenges.

“This includes a three-phased approach at reducing expenses by $3 million each year for three years,” she said.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Don't be surprised if some sports disappear.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

You people are worrying needlessly. I plan on winning the Mega tonight and the Powerball tomorrow and I really don't need all $500 mill!  We'll be in the Big 10 next year.

rafflaw and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

While it certainly sucks. Every school is facing budget cuts. Covid hurt everybody terribly. Going from 26 million to 23 Million for 3 years will probably not kill that much. Plus if there is a big increase in income does it change ?  Say like an elite 8 run 😁

PackerDawg, Kyle_Saluki_17, rafflaw and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

While it certainly sucks. Every school is facing budget cuts. Covid hurt everybody terribly. Going from 26 million to 23 Million for 3 years will probably not kill that much. Plus if there is a big increase in income does it change ?  Say like an elite 8 run 😁

“This includes a three-phased approach at reducing expenses by $3 million each year for three years,” she said. - that's 9 mill.

We need the MVC to get teams in the Final Four  and need to schedule more BCS games

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @mr_woogers

“This includes a three-phased approach at reducing expenses by $3 million each year for three years,” she said. - that's 9 mill.

We need the MVC to get teams in the Final Four  and need to schedule more BCS games

Yes but they are not adding 3 million each year. They are reducing the budget by 3 million  for 3 years. It’s not like they are adding an additional 3 mil each year 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Yes but they are not adding 3 million each year. They are reducing the budget by 3 million  for 3 years. It’s not like they are adding an additional 3 mil each year 

I had interpreted it the other way as well. Like being down $9 mil by the end of the third year. I sure hope you are right. That sounds a lot better!

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

I had interpreted it the other way as well. Like being down $9 mil by the end of the third year. I sure hope you are right. That sounds a lot better!

Me too 😁

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@barkeep-1967 

Sorry bud, but I am pretty sure its 3 mil per year on top of the previous year. So three years from now the SIU budget for Athletics will be 9 million less. I was originally told 2 years so 6 million. Its way worse than that. Try competing with ISU or UNI or Bradley MSU or anyone else for that matter. Basketball will probably be alright as they will put money there but everything else will be in disaster mode unless something changes.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

It is my understanding it is 9 million total. I have reached out for clarification but was ignored. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

a decrease in revenue for athletics from the pandemic – almost $4.3 million – leading to Saluki Athletics adopting an approach to address financial challenges.

So why cut $9 million if revenue dropped 4.3mill ?   Makes no sense unless you just want to gut athletics.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

This is from a year ago!

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/siu-cutting-10-4-million-from-general-operating-budget-plus-3-million-from-athletics/article_46c202b6-877c-51e8-8b9b-b3b2967accbd.html

SIU cutting $10.4 million from general operating budget, plus $3 million from Athletics

Sep 17, 2020 Updated Nov 20, 2020

CARBONDALE — Southern Illinois University is cutting its general operating fund budget about 6% — or about $10.4 million — to make up for declining revenue for the Carbondale campus this fiscal year.

“The reduction will allow us to balance the budget as well as increase our contingency reserve,” Judy Marshall, SIU’s vice chancellor for Administration and Finance informed the university’s board on Thursday.

Separately, SIU Athletics has been directed to reduce spending by $3 million to make headway on closing a longstanding deficit.

Marshall said that she, along with Chancellor Austin Lane, have been meeting with other leaders and constituency groups on campus to talk about budget challenges facing the campus, prepare scenarios and listen to suggestions. “We have instituted a hiring chill, reduced travel and are limiting overall spending,” Marshall said. “I am confident that together we will end this fiscal year with another balanced general operating budget.”

Lane said that the campus will absorb much of the $10.4 million reduction between this year's budget and last year's by leaving vacant positions unfilled across several departments, and by reducing other non-salary expenditures. 

The university’s hiring “chill” differs from a freeze in that officials are still filling critical positions, including numerous faculty vacancies, but hires are receiving extra scrutiny to determine necessity, officials said.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: