Connor Onion

17 Posts
11 Users
18 Reactions
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster
Topic starter  

I was really impressed with Connor Onion and Kelly B. as announcers. They actually discussed the game instead of stupid inside jokes with each other as yesterday's clown announcers did.  The more I listen to Onion, the better I like him and I would not let this talented commentator escape from southern Illinois.  Someday Mike Reis will retire, and when that day comes I would like to see Connor Onion be given a chance to take the mic as the next Voice of the Salukis. An this is not take anything away from Kelly, she shows very good basketball knowledge. The two of them make a great team.  Hope to see them on more SIU broadcasts on ESPN.

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I thought exactly the same, they both were a breath of fresh air. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Couldn't disagree more! I think that was one of his worst jobs announcing.

They're both competent, but I have to say I was extremely unhappy with the way they did this game. Found it very annoying! The ONLY reason I listened to them was because I watched the ESPN Minus replay later, so Mike/Greg weren't available. Last time I do that!

If I watch the game live, I turn off the Onion and sync up Reis! 

I swore they were Redturd home announcers. Literally seemed to talk up ISU and the players and Muller over and over throughout the game and at times talked some irrelevance right over the action, as if Onion's thoughts on DJ Horn or some ISU benchwarmer were literally more important than describing the action. I don't mind a little background once in a while, but this was ridiculous!

Also, Onion must have mentioned 7 - 8 times in the first half that ISU "had their way" with SIU yesterday. Really Connor? I didn't know that! Thanks for reminding me 8 times!

I literally was turning the sound way down by the end of the game! Won't be listening to the onion again.

Still burns my butt that Reis isn't the announcer for these TV games too!

Give me Reis and Starrick/Watson any day of the week!

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I really enjoy when Connor Onion does games and think he’s very talented.  I understand Woogers preferring Reis and I do too, he’s an all-timer.  Woogers reasons for not liking Onion make it sound like he prefers a homer broadcaster, and I prefer an unbiased perspective so that we gain insight on the opposing team. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Connor Onion is a top play by play man for his age. It's rare to find that kind of vocabulary, maturity, and insight in a young broadcaster. He is well on his way and very well could be Reis's successor at SIU. 

That being said, if I may nitpick, the main thing that gets a little annoying with Onion, to me, is that you can definitely tell he's into the "new age" stats and metrics. I'm 30 years old, so all that stuff should be "in" with me - but I guess I'm old school (I'm well aware that I sound like my grandfather here 😆) Now don't get me wrong, I see worthiness in some of it, but I don't want to hear it the majority of the game. Just tell me what the guy's FG% is and get back to the action. Kind of like what's happening with baseball - I don't need to know the launch angle of a homerun or how many feet the centerfielder ran to snag the third out - not necessarily because I'm disinterested in the information - but because it just takes away from the simplicity and beauty of the game. There comes a point where we're all dissecting it too much. Just my opinion, of course. 

Another thing, he sometimes goes off on some far-reaching tangents - like bringing up a Bulls game or LeBron's put back dunk from the night before. There's no similarity between SIU and the NBA, Connor, not only because of the talent gap (obviously) but because the college and NBA games are completely different. He made some comment earlier this season about how "the only three players to have [insert stat here] in 2019 were "XXX, XXX, and Domask, and XXX and XXX were taken in the first round of the NBA draft so...." I didn't take him serious here, it was clear it was a little tongue-and-cheek, but ehhh, I could do away with it and the like.   

Connor Onion is good and he'll only get better. I'm a fan. 

ReplyQuote
AtlantaSaluki
(@atlantasaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I think he has a lot talent and a very good future.  I think SIU is fortunate to have him.  If you compare him to most of the others we hear on the ESPN telecasts his future is pretty bright.  But choice is choice and if you don't like the answers turn the sound off and watch the action and do your own play by play for practice 😀 

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Connor has be really good for SIU and I would love to see the Valley pick him to do more featured Valley games on ESPN. Have a feeling he's going to have his sites set on bigger programs or the pros once more jobs open up in the near future. 

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @uncledawgpound

Connor Onion is a top play by play man for his age. It's rare to find that kind of vocabulary, maturity, and insight in a young broadcaster. He is well on his way and very well could be Reis's successor at SIU. 

Don't ever say that again!!  If I'm around for that sad day when Mike retires, I will be sorely disappointed if Onion takes over! Hope he moves on, and I think he will as soon as he gets a better offer, having no real affinity for SIU! Hire an SIU Broadcast Alum!

I've heard Onion when I thought he did a decent job. This wasn't one of his better jobs! Everything I said was true IMO! If anything, he sounded like an ISU homer this game. I'm betting if I took the time to do a word count, you would find more positive wordage for the shots/plays ISU made, especially the 2nd half. Very annoying when he talked over the action about some stat/fact, etc. He just doesn't sound very natural when he broadcasts. If I flip between him and Reis, the contrast is enormous!

I'm delighted with the Mike Reis style of homer. He's not from the talk/act-like-a-computer  school of broadcasting - a real person, he's obviously a Saluki fan, and yet he's honest about the Dawgs and not afraid to say we had a lack of effort etc.

The guy that has done the SEMO games for years is a wee bit of a SEMO homer (even though he's an SIU Alum) and that's fine - SEMO pays his salary I assume.  Don't mind him at all - he's quite good and comes off as natural.

For perspective, I don't really care for Joe Buck, especially when he's doing something other than baseball. Incredibly too slick and too well-informed - just do not care for him, even though I would say he's very good at what he does - just don't like his style. 

Then again, I like Brent Musberger, even though he once called a young woman in the crowd "beautiful!" 😀   (FYI, I believe Brent went to Northwestern and started out working in Dekalb, IL.)

Local Saluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@local-saluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Mike Reiss has been announcing for 40 plus years and thus has a lot of experience on the do and don't of announcing.  I think Connor does a pretty good job.  There is a fine line between being a homer announcer and "anti " homer  announcer, and Connor rides that line pretty well.  I dislike the homer announcers who make excuses for every bad play by SIU.  You can tell Reiss is partial to SIU, but he tells it like it is most of the time and I love that about him.  In my opinion, Connor does a pretty good job now, and will develop as he goes.  Just so he stays away from all the phony stats that a lot of announcers like to use.

ReplyQuote
(@local-saluki)

A story about announcers using too many stats.  Upon doing his first game with Dan McLaughlin, Jack Buck saw him holding a handful papers.  When he asked McLaughlin about them, Dan told him they were all kinds of stats on the players.  Buck took the papers and threw them into a trash can, saying "The story in on the field", you don't need them. (Something to that effect).  McLaughlin has told this story a time or two Fox Sports Midwest several times, BUT he has never took the advice as he constantly regurgitating useless stats.

Class of 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Truer words were never spoken!  Jack was definitely a natural...and a huge homer! Had to love the guy!

I always loved Harry Carey too. Never knew what he might say after a few Buds!

Speaking of homers, Hawk Harrelson, who did the White Sox games for years, was a huge homer! Fun to listen to in limited quantities! Made English teachers roll over in their graves!

His partner Steve Stone might have the worst radio/TV voice in the history of broadcasting! Heck of a pitcher though! Still does White Sox games.

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Mike Reis has been our announcer for over 40 years and most of you still can't spell his name.

PackerDawg, Kyle_Saluki_17, SalukiWorld and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

He needs to change it to Reese. Nickname Peanut Butter. (a voice as smooth as peanut butter - perfect for an announcer)

ReplyQuote
(@bigjsaluki)

People who think Onion is bad (I personally think he's pretty good at calling a game), need to listen to ISU's "home" announcers of Kurt Pegler and Bob Morris.  

On the topic of when Mike Reis retires, would love for us to give SIU alum Russ Eisenstein the gig.  He's been the pbp guy at Ohio University for the last 13 years and is great to listen to and will call MAC TV games sometimes too on espn 3.  

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @bigjsaluki

People who think Onion is bad (I personally think he's pretty good at calling a game), need to listen to ISU's "home" announcers of Kurt Pegler and Bob Morris.  

On the topic of when Mike Reis retires, would love for us to give SIU alum Russ Eisenstein the gig.  He's been the pbp guy at Ohio University for the last 13 years and is great to listen to and will call MAC TV games sometimes too on espn 3.  

I agree on Eisenstein, he filled in for Reis at one point several years ago and I really enjoyed his broadcast.  I think Onion or him are both worthy replacements for Reis.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: