Crucible in Carbondale: Hinson's Final Year

26 Posts
17 Users
15 Reactions
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Very interesting read! Gives some insight in to why Tommy Bell was not retained and confirms a lot of what we heard from Barkeep last year (if you doubted it at all).

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/3/20/18273839/barry-hinson-southern-illinois-salukis-basketball-mvc-jerry-kill

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: SIU_2011

Very interesting read! Gives some insight in to why Tommy Bell was not retained and confirms a lot of what we heard from Barkeep last year (if you doubted it at all).

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/3/20/18273839/barry-hinson-southern-illinois-salukis-basketball-mvc-jerry-kill

Really liked the quote “The only thing that finally got us was the letter [referring to Bell’s ultimatum] and we just couldn’t overcome it. It dividuded our campus, it dividend our alumni, it divided our boosted base, and that’s the worst thing you could ever want as a head coach.” Bell publicly saying that Hinson must win the conference and go to the NCAA was not good. Yes, it  needed to be said to Hinson and the ultimatum was due but should not have been announced publicly. It caused some fans to even want SIU to lose just so Hinson wouldn’t make the tournament. It really was a black cloud over this entire season. Great article though. Gives a lot of behind the scenes insight. 

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I’m sorry I don’t buy this ultimatum as a black crowd.  The 2018-19 class was pretty much set by the time the ultimatum was thrown down so it is not like we went into the year with a roster weakened by this “black cloud”.  This season went about the way it would have went with or without it IMO

saluki86alum reacted
ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: The Goblin King

I’m sorry I don’t buy this ultimatum as a black crowd.  The 2018-19 class was pretty much set by the time the ultimatum was thrown down so it is not like we went into the year with a roster weakened by this “black cloud”.  This season went about the way it would have went with or without it IMO

Agreed.  This statement, by BH, was nothing more than another attempt to blame someone/something else for his failures.  Just go and take your horrible bbq sauce with you.

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

saluki86alum reacted
ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Well written story but nothing several of us have been telling here for quite a long time.

I'm sorry, but how is it a dark cloud for the AD to put out a statement that we expect our coach to win? Seems to me that Killer did the same with his statement on expectations of his coaches here. Are all teams playing under a dark cloud now?

Craving a McBride Special!

saluki86alum reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: beadmedaddio

Agreed.  This statement, by BH, was nothing more than another attempt to blame someone/something else for his failures.  Just go and take your horrible bbq sauce with you.

Well there it is, blame someone else for the division rather than looking in the mirror. I think he tried to go out with class but just couldn't do it.

ReplyQuote
Mjzelten
(@mjzelten)
Abe Martin Field Poster

It is obvious, Barry Hinson tried to imply that the buck stopped with him regarding wins and losses.  He would always include himself in the arena of people to blame.  Unfortunately, he would quickly follow that up by including his coaching staff, and inevitably, the players, who just didn't do what they were asked to do.

I have no doubt, Barry wanted to succeed here more than anything.  But he is, and will always be, a conman.  Maybe not in the intentional sense of the word, but he see's himself as a victim of people around him not living up to his elevated sense of worthiness.  He steps on his own ego while speaking in postgame interviews, but quickly pivots to "others are also responsible for this failure."  He is politically astute in showing shame, and in the next sentence emphasizes others failures to the extent of placing all blame at their feet.

In my opinion, he is perfectly situated for a life in politics.  If the last 7 years here hasn't already proved that, let his entire career trying to be D1's next Dean Smith be evidence.  He was all talk.  No invites.

“True terror is waking up one morning and discovering your high school class is running the country.” —Kurt Vonnegut

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  
Posted by: Booby's

Well written story but nothing several of us have been telling here for quite a long time.

I'm sorry, but how is it a dark cloud for the AD to put out a statement that we expect our coach to win? Seems to me that Killer did the same with his statement on expectations of his coaches here. Are all teams playing under a dark cloud now?

This exactly. Kill has said he expects all of the coaches to compete for championships and continued saying that throughout the basketball season in countless interviews. I mean if that isn’t the goal what are we doing?

Bleacher Bum reacted
ReplyQuote
Mjzelten
(@mjzelten)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: SIU_2011
Posted by: Booby's

This exactly. Kill has said he expects all of the coaches to compete for championships and continued saying that throughout the basketball season in countless interviews. I mean if that isn’t the goal what are we doing?

Swimming upstream.

“True terror is waking up one morning and discovering your high school class is running the country.” —Kurt Vonnegut

Bleacher Bum reacted
ReplyQuote
Bleacher Bum
(@bleacher-bum)

yeah. the priority is to win the mvc. how is stating that in public a dark thing? kill has said pretty much the same. i wouldn't want to play anywhere where that isn't the priority. try again bbq. good luck with your future.

ReplyQuote
Bleacher Bum
(@bleacher-bum)

kill said he told bbq to prepare to be fired because it was being reported on saluki nation. sounds to me like an endorsement of the forum by kill! 😃 he reads it to get his news.

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

Really good article.  Provided a lot of context to what was happening behind the scenes.  I know a lot of it had already been addressed on here, but the article really confirms the sequence of events.

Time to move on to what all Saluki fans hope is the next GREAT era of Saluki Basketball.

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I don't buy it either.  A newsletter saying our sole purpose is to win the MVC and go to the NCAA Tourney was just something he couldn't overcome?  Seriously??  Isn't that our stated goal EVERY year?  It sure used to be.  The article does a nice job showing the human side of Barry Hinson, but tries too hard to convince us he's a victim.  I'm sorry he had to endure boos and chants, but that's part of the job.  In my opinion, Tommy Bell is the real victim in this story.

beadmedaddio, Austinsaluki, siudawg77 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: Rawdog

I don't buy it either.  A newsletter saying our sole purpose is to win the MVC and go to the NCAA Tourney was just something he couldn't overcome?  Seriously??  Isn't that our stated goal EVERY year?  It sure used to be.  The article does a nice job showing the human side of Barry Hinson, but tries too hard to convince us he's a victim.  I'm sorry he had to endure boos and chants, but that's part of the job.  In my opinion, Tommy Bell is the real victim in this story.

yes

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Almost always, when people have trouble getting out of their own way in trying to find elusive success in any endeavor, it's due to an inability to stare into the mirror and accept the fact that what they're seeing is the true common denominator of their failure.

--Insert something witty here--

siudawg77 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: