Clear all

Major announcement at 4:00 today

68 Posts
26 Users
28 Reactions
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I don’t understand some people’s disdain for this.  They’re paying SIU minimum $400,000 a year to throw their name all over the Arena.  I don’t care what it’s called, if they want to pay that much to support our program that’s wonderful! Gotta get myself a Saluki debit card. 

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I don't get it either. We aren't on TV every home game. We don't play in a top media market. $400,000 per year is big time cash in southern Illinois. This one donor alone now almost entirely pays for our mens basketball head coaches salary. This is huge. They could call it the doggie dome, or the k-9 cage for all I care. Let's be realistic. SIU Arena was a generic name that had no meaning whatsoever. I'll have no problem calling it Banterra Center. In fact, I welcome it.  This kind of money is huge for our programs.

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Having said that..... the floor would look much better without Harry Crisp's name on it. I wish that would go away. lol

Bleacher Bum reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: Quatros Saluki

I don't get it either. We aren't on TV every home game. We don't play in a top media market. $400,000 per year is big time cash in southern Illinois. This one donor alone now almost entirely pays for our mens basketball head coaches salary. This is huge. They could call it the doggie dome, or the k-9 cage for all I care. Let's be realistic. SIU Arena was a generic name that had no meaning whatsoever. I'll have no problem calling it Banterra Center. In fact, I welcome it.  This kind of money is huge for our programs.

This is a windfall for SIU.  Banterra is overpaying for this and they know it.  But Banterra also knows how important the University is for the entire region.  All the advertising is gonna be great for them and it’s the main reason for doing this but this is also an investment in a University that desperately needs to turn-around ASAP.  If I lived in Southern Illinois and had the option, I’d switch to Banterra tomorrow.

The name is irrelevant, continue calling it SIU Arena if you want.  Illinois fans got over State Farm Center pretty quickly.

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Posted by: SalukiWorld

This is a windfall for SIU.  Banterra is overpaying for this and they know it.  But Banterra also knows how important the University is for the entire region.  All the advertising is gonna be great for them and it’s the main reason for doing this but this is also an investment in a University that desperately needs to turn-around ASAP.  If I lived in Southern Illinois and had the option, I’d switch to Banterra tomorrow.

The name is irrelevant, continue calling it SIU Arena if you want.  Illinois fans got over State Farm Center pretty quickly.

Not sure if you misunderstood my comment or what, but I'm very happy with this deal and am very happy to now refer to it at Banterra Center. I completely agree with everything you just said. Not sure why you think I don't.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: SalukiWorld

Not sure if you misunderstood my comment or what, but I'm very happy with this deal and am very happy to now refer to it at Banterra Center. I completely agree with everything you just said. Not sure why you think I don't.

I’m more +1’ing you while adding in what I think.  I agree with you and disagree with who you quoted 

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Why oh why didn’t someone have the foresight to strike while the iron was hot, say after the second Sweet Sixteen in 5 years? Instead of whining about “only” 400k a year, it is 400 more than what we have been getting, and look how many years of revenue lost have passed by. That is money never to be recovered. Thank God for Jerry Kill, who has imagination and common sense. He needs to run the whole university. Good job Jerry. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

Fraydog, PackerDawg, BleedFknMaroon25 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@fraydog)

With as much as Banterra is giving, I’m going out of my way to call it Banterra Center. I’ll correct people who call it the Arena. If people refer to it as Banterra Arena (which to be fair, my first guess was Banterra Bank Arena when this was leaked), I’ll let it slide. 

I’d change banks but Chester is too much of a haul to the nearest branch.

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

What is Leerfield's cut on the Arena deal?

Craving a McBride Special!

ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

Correct me all you want but I'm still going to call it the Arena just like I call places the Assembly Hall, Comisky Park and the Sears Tower.  $4 million doesn't change the name of the building.  In five years, Kill will be gone, a new President at Banterra and, I"m willing to bet, the agreement will not be renewed.

Bleacher Bum reacted
ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)

Posted by: saluki86alum

Correct me all you want but I'm still going to call it the Arena just like I call places the Assembly Hall, Comisky Park and the Sears Tower.  $4 million doesn't change the name of the building.  In five years, Kill will be gone, a new President at Banterra and, I"m willing to bet, the agreement will not be renewed.

They should call it the Barena sponsored byBantera.

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
(@dawgpoop)
Saluki Stadium Poster

This deal has likely been in the works for quite a while and may have been a large contributing factor allowing Kill to show the Hinson the door and bring in Mullins.    Those of you that don't like this deal should change your stance......I have a feeling we may still have the BBQ salesman running the show if the athletic department wasn't infused with an additional $400k per year.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Bleacher Bum
(@bleacher-bum)

Posted by: Fraydog

With as much as Banterra is giving, I’m going out of my way to call it Banterra Center. I’ll correct people who call it the Arena. If people refer to it as Banterra Arena (which to be fair, my first guess was Banterra Bank Arena when this was leaked), I’ll let it slide. 

I’d change banks but Chester is too much of a haul to the nearest branch.

i will call it the house that barry built and you will like it fray

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

I’ve attached a picture of the floor plan and here’s the exterior:

ReplyQuote
(@freshman63)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

This is a huge step forward for Saluki Athletics.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5

Share: