MVC Expansion

294 Posts
41 Users
186 Reactions
18.8 K Views
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I post only in the SIU basketball forum. I root for MVC basketball teams to win every OOC and NCAAt game. My reasoning for Murray being the next logical choice is basketball-related only. Basketball is what built the MVC and quality basketball is all I care about for this league and for SIU.

--Insert something witty here--

1DAWG reacted
ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I totally agree.  Not sure why this is that complicated. Valley just added  the Nashville market and can add the Chicago market with UIC and add a Basketball School in Murray State.  a successful Valley in the OOC and the NCAA tournament is just as vital as the Market size.   You maybe right Barkeep the only thing that Murray adds is a very successful Basketball program, but with that it could also add an in conference bitter rival for SIU. Which I think could be extremely important in reviving SIU to it’s former self. I certainly wouldn’t be excited to see UT-A or even UIC coming to the Arena but Belmont and Murray would be nice.  I fully understand that there are more moving parts than just Basketball , but for my money that is the only thing that has mattered in the MVC. What other sporting events in the MVC has garnered the Valley the notoriety athletically in the past 10 years other than NCAA tournament runs in Men’s Basketball? UNI’s  victory over Kansas, Wichita getting a number 1 seed following a FF run , and most recently Loyola and sister Jean and last year’s victory over # 1 Illinois the B10 tournament champ and they beat the ACC tournament champs. Basketball is what drives the MVC, what other Programs can the Valley add that has had as much success as Murray State in Men’s Basketball?  I know several posters on here are against adding Murray but if it is because SIU is afraid of competition maybe we need to step up our game, completion should make you stronger not weaker. 

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

They added Valpo for its basketball success. 

how is that going ? 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

how is that going ? 

There are some differences there, most notably Murray having a strong fan base, tons of recruiting street cred thanks to the recent NBA placements and having established durable success over multiple coaches rather than just the Drew clan. A better arena, too.

This post was modified 2 years ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I really hope Valpo being bad isn't a reason why people in the conference are weary about Murray State.  Valpo owes a lot of their success to the Drews and Lottich wasn't able to sustain that or recruit to an MVC level.  The Racers have been established for awhile now among different coaches.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

Come on Murray supporters I asked a question. 

just one reason 

Because the other schools that are being considered aren't relevant in the world of college basketball, they're low major D1 teams, and the markets that they're in don't support them.

That being said, it would pull schools that are currently in The Valley into major markets for games.....but if a tree falls in the woods......you know the rest.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

And once again 

one reason OTHER THAN basketball ? 

ReplyQuote
AnnaBob
(@annabob)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@barkeep-1967     I promised to let it go but in all honesty I don't see much difference between Murray and Valpo.  Valpo was probably a mistake.  No use to double up is there?

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

I can actually see both sides to the Murray argument. In the end it will be the ones who actually make the decision that we should praise or blame, depending on how it plays out.

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@barkeep-1967 

No one wants to answer this question but I'll try.

1. Shores up complete MVC ownership of that tri-state area with SIU and Evansville. Yes, I know there's not a huge population, but it builds much needed rivalries between the colleges. 

2. Agriculture academic dominance. Farmers kids will have additional choices on where to attend school if they pursue that academic area. Maybe it will encourage SIU's admin to put more money into our Agg program to continually recruit students from the tri-state area.   

3. Academically, Murray State fits in with the MVC publics with an average ACT scores of 21-28. Indiana State has the lowest range for both ACT/SAT and an insanely high acceptance rate. SIU is now a mind blowing 66% compared to everyone else at 82% (90% for Indiana State. 

4. Enrollment is around 6,200 students that would put them in the middle of MVC schools as a whole. 

5. Campus culture is high. When I partied there for a night in college, I thought it was pretty cool that they had those custom shields on every building, and students actually seemed to care about the college they went to. 

6.  Graduation rate at Murray State is higher then SIU, and Indiana State. Also higher then Texas-Arlington. So miss me with low graduation rates...

7. They are embarking on a large scale athletics renovation plan. Finally upgrading key pieces to campus to maintain MVC standards unlike a Northern Indiana school. 

The only negative I see of having Murray State in the MVC is that they will be a middle to bottom of the pack program outside of MBB. Here are there records since 2016.  

Men's Basketball: 10-5

Baseball: 10-13

Softball: 10-14

Women's basketball: 4-6

Volleyball: 3-4

Women's Soccer: 3-2

From an SIU prospective, I now see why the admin wants to keep them out. Mostly to protect our recruiting interests for non-liberal art programs. 

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sycamorefan96)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Murray State has great basketball and a great following. That's the reasons for adding them. The MVC is a basketball conference, not the Ivy League. Adding a couple sub 250 schools that only have 18 combined fans is a quick way to become the newest irrelevant conference. We don't need any more boat anchors.

ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)

Posted by: @salukiworld

I really hope Valpo being bad isn't a reason why people in the conference are weary about Murray State.  Valpo owes a lot of their success to the Drews and Lottich wasn't able to sustain that or recruit to an MVC level.  The Racers have been established for awhile now among different coaches.

I agree totally with this and will add that Valpo has horrible facilities and Murray is getting ready to upgrade theirs. I would also add that IF Murray isn't added I prefer that the Valley would add only Belmont.  I just don't like the other choices. I am not a Murray fan but I want SIU to have quality basketball opponents to play and feel that of the programs mentioned Murray is the only one that meets that criteria. I could care less IF Murray doesn't have a great baseball, cross country, track or tiddlywinks teams . The Valley is a basketball league and SIU is a basketball school.  SIU will get more notoriety playing in a strong MVC and being successfully than worrying about what markets the teams they are playing are in (especially when those teams are an afterthought and are weak programs in those markets).

1DAWG and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

Posted by: @sycamorefan96

Murray State has great basketball and a great following. That's the reasons for adding them. The MVC is a basketball conference, not the Ivy League. Adding a couple sub 250 schools that only have 18 combined fans is a quick way to become the newest irrelevant conference. We don't need any more boat anchors.

i watched that sycamore game yesterday.  you might not want to talk to loudly about 18 fans and boat anchors. 

Craving a McBride Special!

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

how is that going ? 

sounds familiar....

"Valpo brings a strong tradition across its athletic programs to the Missouri Valley Conference, most notably its success in men’s basketball. The Crusaders have captured 14 league regular season titles over the last 23 years and have made nine trips to the NCAA Tournament. Over the last three seasons, Valpo has won 82 games — a total that ranks among the top-15 nationally. The program has enjoyed the two winningest seasons in program history in the last three years and has appeared in the postseason all three years, including a run to the NIT championship game at Madison Square Garden in 2015–2016."

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

Posted by: @front-row

6.  Graduation rate at Murray State is higher then SIU, and Indiana State. Also higher then Texas-Arlington. So miss me with low graduation rates...

why you people feel the need to try to run down SIU in order to prop up these clowns is beyond me.  please cite your sources and criteria.  do you seriously think dorm decorations you observed while getting drunk in college 20 years ago is a reason to add a school?  btw-"higher than SIU" would be the way to say it, not "then SIU".  show us your source.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 20

Share: