137 Posts
36 Users
79 Reactions
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @saluki-4-life
Posted by: @class-of-69

I have to be honest and say I thought we would be farther along with Mullins by this time, especially after his first season when it seemed like the spark was back in team enthusiasm and hustle. That being said, injuries and Covid have set us back. Last year there was a lot of talk about how much we missed J.D. Muilla, but we can see from last night that he is not the answer at the 5 spot that we thought he would be. I like Mullins as a coach, I think he brings a lot to the table, but until SIU is the hunted and not the hunter, patience will grow thin. It's a tough business, but the bottom line is that wins fill the seats and keeps the monster fed. Right now our dragon just doesn't have enough fire. We are middle of the pack in the MVC. Until we have a Gage Primm type of player and develop some sort of consistent inside game, we are going to see more of what we saw tonight, a team that battle hards but is fighting uphill against the better teams in our league.

The problem with COVID is that is has tainted the view of this season.  We should not be playing against Lucas Williamson and Gage Prim.  It kind of delays where we should be in the valley for an extra year.  It's hard to pass teams that retained guys that should have moved on.  Thats why having a young roster in a rebuild is good.  You know other teams best players move on and yours are growing and coming back.  That did not happen this year.  If Domask and Jones use their COVID year they should the class of the valley when they are super seniors.  If Banks and Verplanken use theirs they are going to be tough to deal with too.  COVID hit at a really bad time for having a young roster.  We need these 22 year olds to move on in order to really see the progress of our team.  

I think we are going to win the valley in 3 years if Mullins can find a couple high level athletes to put with the foundation in place.

Hope it's quicker than that. Domask and Jones only have two left after this one even if they both use their extra year here.

There's no reason Southern shouldn't be able to at least compete for the Valley title next year if they can address a couple key holes with transfers in the spring and get a boost from one or both of the redshirts.

This post was modified 2 years ago by siudawgs

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Regarding the "lack of athleticism", pleased be advised that there will be a player on the floor next year who is 6-10/265 who has been described to me, from a very trustworthy source, as being "freakishly athletic". 

Fire away.

Scottie Ebube is indeed going to make a big difference (pun intended).

I tried to tell you guys a year ago that Muila was not going to be the stud you thought he was.  Also, please temper your expectations on incoming Freshman Cade Hornecker.  He has tons of upside, but is somewhat of a project at this point. 

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

I have to be honest and say I thought we would be farther along with Mullins by this time, especially after his first season when it seemed like the spark was back in team enthusiasm and hustle. That being said, injuries and Covid have set us back. Last year there was a lot of talk about how much we missed J.D. Muilla, but we can see from last night that he is not the answer at the 5 spot that we thought he would be. I like Mullins as a coach, I think he brings a lot to the table, but until SIU is the hunted and not the hunter, patience will grow thin. It's a tough business, but the bottom line is that wins fill the seats and keeps the monster fed. Right now our dragon just doesn't have enough fire. We are middle of the pack in the MVC. Until we have a Gage Primm type of player and develop some sort of consistent inside game, we are going to see more of what we saw tonight, a team that battle hards but is fighting uphill against the better teams in our league.

The problem with COVID is that is has tainted the view of this season.  We should not be playing against Lucas Williamson and Gage Prim.  It kind of delays where we should be in the valley for an extra year.  It's hard to pass teams that retained guys that should have moved on.  Thats why having a young roster in a rebuild is good.  You know other teams best players move on and yours are growing and coming back.  That did not happen this year.  If Domask and Jones use their COVID year they should the class of the valley when they are super seniors.  If Banks and Verplanken use theirs they are going to be tough to deal with too.  COVID hit at a really bad time for having a young roster.  We need these 22 year olds to move on in order to really see the progress of our team.  

I think we are going to win the valley in 3 years if Mullins can find a couple high level athletes to put with the foundation in place.

Hope it's quicker than that. Domask and Jones only have two left after this one even if they both use their extra year here.

There's no reason Southern shouldn't be able to at least compete for the Valley title next year if they can address a couple key holes with transfers in the spring and get a boost from one or both of the redshirts.

Yeah, it should have read within 3 years. I agree.

ReplyQuote
 Enuf
(@enuf)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Contrary to some above, I think last night shows we can and will compete with the top tier this year. That was a tough road game for cryin out loud and outcome was far from obvious with less than a minute to play. If SWMO shot a lousy 80% on FTs down the stretch.....

Of course if wishes were fast trains to Texas-----but SIU was in that road game all the way. A real indicator of where we are will come at home in the next two games. 

Quatros Saluki, Sandman95, usmcsaluki and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @enuf

Contrary to some above, I think last night shows we can and will compete with the top tier this year. That was a tough road game for cryin out loud and outcome was far from obvious with less than a minute to play. If SWMO shot a lousy 80% on FTs down the stretch.....

Of course if wishes were fast trains to Texas-----but SIU was in that road game all the way. A real indicator of where we are will come at home in the next two games. 

This is the point I keep making.  This team has been in every game, specifically tough road games late into the second half.  Maybe they turn that corner this year, maybe not but I am very very confident in the next 2 years these turn into lots of wins.

Sandman95 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Yeah, tough to be too upset about this one. On the road with a chance to win late against a team that has the roster talent, top-to-bottom, to run away with the MVC. Of course, I would've liked the W, but this SIU team was never going undefeated this year in this league.

Win your games at home and take care of business against the bottom and middle-tier teams on the road and there will be a chance for a league title when the dust settles. At this point, with the known personnel deficiencies SIU has, I'll take where we're at.

My opinion may change drastically after the upcoming home stand. Gotta win to have a shot. We'll see.  

--Insert something witty here--

Maroonloon, usmcsaluki, Rockin' Dawg and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Yes.  The expectation was to be good in year 3.  Well, everyone got to keep their players so we are still just as "young" compared to the conference as we were last year.  Last year's sophomores against seniors.  This year it became juniors against super seniors.  Pretty comparable in my opinion.

I don't want to look like someone that always has an excuse for Mullins, but in my opinion, year 3's expectations moved to year 4 with everyone gaining a year.  What I expected in years 3 and 4 are now 4 and 5.

With that said, if we aren't competing hard for a championship next year, I won't be nearly as upbeat on the future of this program.

ReplyQuote
Psychodawg
(@psychodawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@kyle_saluki_17   I remain a fan and a believer in our Coach.  Admittedly, I don't begin to have the basketball IQ that many posters demonstrate on this site but I wonder with the resume/pedigree that Trent Brown has as a shooter, why does he not take the shots he's historically made especially when we need points put up?  I read an evaluation awhile back that described Trent as the high school version of Steven Curry.

WOOF!

Maroonloon reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @gobluesaluki

And you don’t have to say Michigan sucks.  

Current standings: (#24 12 - 3) Illinois 1st place, (unranked 7 - 6) Fichigan 9th place

ReplyQuote
Cowboydawg
(@cowboydawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@siudawgs Remember, we only have 1 scholarship available at this time. It certainly should go for a point guard.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @psychodawg

@kyle_saluki_17   I remain a fan and a believer in our Coach.  Admittedly, I don't begin to have the basketball IQ that many posters demonstrate on this site but I wonder with the resume/pedigree that Trent Brown has as a shooter, why does he not take the shots he's historically made especially when we need points put up?  I read an evaluation awhile back that described Trent as the high school version of Steven Curry.

I don't have an answer for that.  I know that his Freshman year he seemed to have some confidence issues taking those shots for some reason.  Don't have much of an answer for last year, although he had a couple of big games before Domask went out.  I wouldn't expect too much for a while this year with everything he has gone through, just now getting going but I hope I'm wrong.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @cowboydawg

@siudawgs Remember, we only have 1 scholarship available at this time. It certainly should go for a point guard.

OK, but tell me the last offseason SIU (or just about any program these days) didn't have at least one departure of someone before their eligibility was up.

I'd be quite surprised if they didn't have both PG and a rangy wing athlete (with Coupet leaving) on their spring wish list.

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Get the kid from Moline.

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @carrcar

Get the kid from Moline.

Saw Iowa was looking at Brock Harding last night and he scored like 40 points.  Might be out of our range.

https://twitter.com/MidProAcademy/status/1481476426545213442

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld
Posted by: @carrcar

Get the kid from Moline.

Saw Iowa was looking at Brock Harding last night and he scored like 40 points.  Might be out of our range.

https://twitter.com/MidProAcademy/status/1481476426545213442

He's class of 2023 BTW.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10

Share: