Clear all

SIU vs Murray State

114 Posts
37 Users
55 Reactions
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Barry Hinson's best team in seven years at Southern has gotten clobbered in non-conference play by Murray (home) and UMass (neutral), has lost a pair of non-con games at the Arena, and has no prospects for NCAA or NIT play outside of winning a conference championship, which, it goes without saying, the dean of the Valley has never done.

A fifth-year senior is mysteriously suspended. Attendance is lousy. Class balance is a wreck.

Pretty certain Tommy Bell had the right idea.

This post was modified 5 years ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
(@freshman63)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

While I agree we played very poorly and Fletcher wouldn't have helped much I give a lot of credit to Murray. They are an excellent team. Besides the explosive offense, their defense was better than any I've seen lately from our opponents. They looked like the old Salukis. Ja is the real deal. 13 assists! Our hole team had 6. I think Murray will excel in the NCAA tournament. All this with a starter out with a broken ankle.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Murray beat Mo. State 77 - 66 at Murray.  Murray was 3 - 14 from three. (33%) They lost Alabama (100NET). Otherwise they've played a weak schedule.

Mo. State got pounded much worse by crappy Air Force (237 NET), USC (126 NET), Nebraska, Oregon State (just lost to SLU).

Murray State is a good team, Breaker Morant is really good, but MSU is not nearly as good as we made them look. Our D - especially 3 pt - was absolute crap. We made a billion unforced errors, lack of patience, sloppy passes and lots of unforced turnovers, awful shooting (31%), etc.

Except for McGill, I saw no enthusiasm or energy out there from the get-go.

We play like that at Buffalo, we lose by 45.

ReplyQuote
(@accountingdawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

We play like that at Buffalo and it will be more than 45.  The asked for disaster continues without an end in sight.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Murray hasn't played like this all year! And that includes powers like Mo. State, Wright St, Spalding???

(Well, they did beat D3 Spalding wors than us).     Now why is that?  

We couldn't have won the Intramural league tonight - played like kaka. We made it easy for them. 

Morant is very tough, but that is not a top 30 team.

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: Mr_Woogers

Player of the game - none!  😥 

Hey give credit to Eric McGill. He had a career game and no one will even notice. 19 pts 10 rebounds 

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Sort of classic Hinson, right as it looks like a team may be building into something... wet the bed horrifically.  The dean of the valley is and always be a pretender.

siudawg77 and Saluki 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Morant was unbelievable. Always in control. Never sped up. He's gonna make a lot of money.

The rest? I don't have the energy anymore..

I'll only say this; December 12th, 2018 is the last time I will ever pay to watch a Barry Hinson coached basketball team.

--Insert something witty here--

Austinsaluki and Booby's reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

We were thoroughly exposed tonight.  Those of you who got your hopes up thinking Hinson had finally built us into a contender?  You just got punked again.  Sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: Rawdog

We were thoroughly exposed tonight.  Those of you who got your hopes up thinking Hinson had finally built us into a contender?  You just got punked again.  Sorry.

The valley is pretty awful, I wont be surprised if we do contend of king of the mole hill

oberkfell reacted
ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Yep. I am cancelling my ESPN+ subscription. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
(@misty)

How on Earth is Murray St not in the MVC?

ReplyQuote
Salty Dawg
(@salty-dawg)
Davies Gym Poster

I think this Fletcher funk has gotten to the team.  Fletcher seems to be a pretty well balanced kid.  Have to wonder if there was some kind of provocation to make him go off ( Caroline v. Hinson).

Wonder if Murray was ever in contention to be Wichita's replacement?   They really looked good tonight

ReplyQuote
Salty Dawg
(@salty-dawg)
Davies Gym Poster

Posted by: Salty Dawg

I think this Fletcher funk has gotten to the team.  Fletcher seems to be a pretty well balanced kid.  Have to wonder if there was some kind of provocation to make him go off ( Caroline v. Hinson).

Wonder if Murray was ever in contention to be Wichita's replacement?   They really looked good tonight

One more thing.  I think this has to do with either the way Hinson disciplines or the respect players have for the coach or both.  I think Aaron Cook made a comment early in the season that gave some insight regarding this question.

ReplyQuote
(@local-saluki)

A couple of thoughts.

1.  Way too many unforced, slow, lazy passes by ALL.

2.  Ja Morant may be the best player to play at the "new" Arena.  He played at a level completely above everyone else last night.  Lloyd and company have normally kept the opposition's best players at least somewhat in check.  Not So Last Night.

3.  Cook, McGill, Lloyd played pedal to the metal throughout the second half.  I have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8

Share: