Tommy Bell

18 Posts
16 Users
10 Reactions
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster
Topic starter  

I still have a hard time getting past the way things happened last spring, especially with Tommy Bell. I always liked Tommy and it really pissed me off that he was thrown under the bus for trying to do the right thing. Does anyone know what he is doing now?

ReplyQuote
(@misty)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Absolutely rotten what happened to him. 

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: Misty

Absolutely rotten what happened to him. 

Carlo and company screwed Tommy's wife, too. Disgusting behavior from these thugs.

Craving a McBride Special!

ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Him and his wife moved to Bloomington, Indiana. 

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I'm more disgusted on how he ended up here. Not saying I disliked him, actually enjoyed interacting with him when he would come to Chicago for the alumni event before the Loyola game.

But Tommy wasn't ready to be a D-1 AD. Randy Dunn saw the opportunity to crush the athletic department and went with the worst option. Dunn refused to meet with the current coaches at the time, and put minimal effort into the hiring the "Best Option"...

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

ReplyQuote
(@1987saluki)
Abe Martin Field Poster

There are two allegations in this thread that pique my interest (a lot).

Someone who knows: please enlighten me (no snark intended)--

(1) How, exactly, did Tommy Bell and his wife get screwed by SIU?

(2) Did Randy Dunn really have it in for SIU athletics? How is this a known thing?

(1) US COVID-19 statistics (February 29, 2020-June 16, 2020): 2,124,000 reported cases and 115,052 deaths
(2) Donald Trump (June 15, 2020) told a group of senior citizens that there would be very few cases of COVID-19 if the US stopped its testing and contact tracing: "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, actually."
(3) Donald Trump [(Jan 20, 2020), when asked if he's worried about a pandemic]: “No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s — going to be just fine.”

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: 1987saluki

There are two allegations in this thread that pique my interest (a lot).

Someone who knows: please enlighten me (no snark intended)--

(1) How, exactly, did Tommy Bell and his wife get screwed by SIU?

(2) Did Randy Dunn really have it in for SIU athletics? How is this a known thing?

Randy Dunn didn't care for SIU's athletic department and I think the previous administration shows it based on the hire. Plus I've had coaches tell me directly that Dunn had no interest in helping Carbondale move forward.

Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Randy Dunn had it in for the whole Carbondale campus. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiPride
(@salukipride)
Davies Gym Poster

Posted by: Corndawg

Randy Dunn had it in for the whole Carbondale campus. 

Was he only interested in SIUE?

Bring back FLOOR BURN U !!

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

He put more emphasis on the Edwardsville campus giving it more resources then Carbondale had during his tenure.  I'm pretty sure when Barry mentioned something about the campus getting better in his presser that he meant the School is better off without Dunn in power.

PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Dunn schemed with that ahole E President and idiot State Representative from the Metro East to take the medical school from Southern and give it to little E and to split the campuses. He also withheld several millions in buy-list money from Southern (these lists are used in recruiting students) until it was too late to be useful (like June or July.) He did this evidently because he was unhappy with the fact that the Trustees didn't want his buddy Colwell as the permanent Chancellor, and he didn't like Montemagmo. Colwell was temporary for like three years, never hired an enrollment manager (whose job it is to focus on enrollment and student retention) in that time. I'm guessing he didn't care for some of the Carbondale trustees either. I personally think these are criminal acts and ole Randy should spend a year or two in the hoosegow. He had a contract to do something and he purposely did the very opposite, trying to undermine Southern. 

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

Dunn has to be one of the worst presidents in SIU history.  The guy had no clue what he was doing.  Unfortunately, SIU's current state can be attributed to a long line and many years of incompetence.  They need to come up with a vision for the long term and stick to it.  SIU also needs to find it's identity again.  Kids aren't sure why they should attend SIU.  That has to change!

ReplyQuote
(@vnomus2)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

I think everyone would agree, the program is far ahead of schedule in Year 1 of the BM era.  However, where would we be right now had Tommy Bell been allowed to do his job and start the BM era a year sooner???

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @vnomus2

I think everyone would agree, the program is far ahead of schedule in Year 1 of the BM era.  However, where would we be right now had Tommy Bell been allowed to do his job and start the BM era a year sooner???

Agree on Tommy Bell but it honestly might have worked out for the best.  It would have been nice to start this a year earlier but who knows if Barry’s guys would have bought into Mullins year 1 or if they even stayed around like Cook & McGill did.  Also, might not have had a spot for someone like Marcus Domask.

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

@salukiworld

I've had those exact thoughts. In hindsight, I'm not sure how many of those players would've fit the mold under Mullins. Might've worked out for the best that he could start building right away bringing in exactly the type of players he wants.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: