28 Users
48 Reactions
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsCBB/status/1460715406512082950

Per Norlander:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/missouri-valley-conference-loses-loyola-chicago-but-pursuing-murray-state-ut-arlington-and-kansas-city/

The Missouri Valley is ambitiously pursuing a plan to add multiple schools, sources told CBS Sports. The three schools in the mix are Murray State, UT Arlington and Kansas City. At this stage, it is expected they will eventually receive invites to join the Valley, with sources telling CBS Sports that Murray State and UT Arlington are considered the two strongest candidates.

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Fuck Loyola  they will sink 

PackerDawg and Dawgs98 reacted
ReplyQuote
GoBlueSaluki
(@gobluesaluki)

This blows.  Eventually SIU could be a favorite every year by process of elimination.  

I still miss Wichita and Creighton.  It’s not the same without them. 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @gobluesaluki

This blows.  Eventually SIU could be a favorite every year by process of elimination.  

We need to actually win the conference once before thinking things like this.  Granted, I think 2022-2023 is our year, but still.  It is still a decent conference even without Loyola.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I generally wonder if Belmont still joins the Valley if they know Loyola is leaving.  I'm guessing they were told it was a possibility.  Also guessing Belmont won't be in the Valley for long if they continue their success.

ReplyQuote
GoBlueSaluki
(@gobluesaluki)

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

We need to actually win the conference once before thinking things like this.  Granted, I think 2022-2023 is our year, but still.  It is still a decent conference even without Loyola.

It’s just depressing.  Loyola was a great chance for our Chicago alums to see the Salukis. 

And they actually did something big time. 

And with Belmont being in Nashville and on the upswing , like someone else suggested, they might not stay long either. 

ReplyQuote
Number 1 fan
(@number-1-fan)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@gobluesaluki I gotta assume the move to add Belmont was a proactive one to be prepared for Loyola’s departure. Keeps the private/public balance much like when they replaced Creighton and you trade Chicago for Nashville. 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

It’s just depressing.  Loyola was a great chance for our Chicago alums to see the Salukis. 

And they actually did something big time. 

And with Belmont being in Nashville and on the upswing , like someone else suggested, they might not stay long either. 

I completely agree with that.  If Belmont has success here, they will be the most attractive candidate for a bigger conference because of their location as well.  We need multiple teams in the big tournament to help keep programs like that.

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Whether SIU wins or not, the MVC not retaining its strongest programs makes it much harder to grow in the prestige department and improve its chances for multiple bids come March.

The Valley was a beast in the 2000's. I know its not realistic, but as a fan, its hard to imagine and not be nostalgic and sad at what this league could've looked like if Creighton and WSU were still members and Loyola and Belmont were joining the fun.

Oh well, I think it becomes that much more important now to look at a potential Murray St. addition.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

Whether SIU wins or not, the MVC not retaining its strongest programs makes it much harder to grow in the prestige department and improve its chances for multiple bids come March.

The Valley was a beast in the 2000's. I know its not realistic, but as a fan, its hard to imagine and not be nostalgic and sad at what this league could've looked like if Creighton and WSU were still members and Loyola and Belmont were joining the fun.

Oh well, I think it becomes that much more important now to look at a potential Murray St. addition.

Reports say that it is happening.  Murray should be added by Christmas most likely.

ReplyQuote
GoBlueSaluki
(@gobluesaluki)

Reis on Twitter talking about MVC teams losing a much-needed good home game with Loyola departure. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Reis on Twitter talking about MVC teams losing a much-needed good home game with Loyola departure. 

They'll add one in Belmont at least.  But doesn't help the Chicago area Saluki alums.  Kind of wish they'd consider adding UIC over UMKC.  

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Barf.

Like someone said, one step forward, two steps back.

I'll always appreciate that Final Four run and taking down 1 seed UIUC last year, but this is a very ill-timed maneuver right when the MVC appeared close to getting back on more solid footing.

Hate to say it, but SIU's decade-plus of basketball mediocrity sure hasn't helped matters for the league, although some of the market dynamics around academia and college sports go much deeper than on-court success.

ReplyQuote
rabidsaluki
(@rabidsaluki)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I hope Loyola enjoys all that extra travel expense heading halfway across the country. Maybe they can share a plane with SLU. 

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe." ~Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

usmcsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4

Share: