Loyola to the A-10

59 Posts
28 Users
48 Reactions
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@rafflaw 

I don't know if its a mistake for Loyola, but I will say this; when looking at the A10, top to bottom, I don't think that league is a clear step up over the MVC in any shape or form. Given the new logistical challenges this move presents for Loyola, I'm surprised they didn't parlay all their recent successes and momentum into a more substantial increase in class (think Big East etc).

--Insert something witty here--

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Well, this is obviously less than ideal but I could see this coming. Granted, I thought it would be further down the road. Not after one decade.

Conferences are supposed to be comprised of "like-minded universities." I mean, that was the original definition of a conference before this wacko conference realignment saga started. Most of the schools in the A-10 are Catholic/Jesuit. Though on the geography front, I guess they're willing to "eat" the additional time and costs. 

My desire is to add Murray St to get to 11 teams (Belmont + Murray St) and then evaluate the landscape. No herky-jerky reactions please. I really don't like the idea of adding "branch" schools but maybe after losing 3 teams in 10 years, I have no right to say that anymore and I should get down off my Valley high horse. 

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

I generally wonder if Belmont still joins the Valley if they know Loyola is leaving.  I'm guessing they were told it was a possibility.  Also guessing Belmont won't be in the Valley for long if they continue their success.

Only if one assumes success in OVC equates to success in MVC.

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

@rafflaw 

I don't know if its a mistake for Loyola, but I will say this; when looking at the A10, top to bottom, I don't think that league is a clear step up over the MVC in any shape or form. Given the new logistical challenges this move presents for Loyola, I'm surprised they didn't parlay all their recent successes and momentum into a more substantial increase in class (think Big East etc).

I think the A10's top includes more teams than the MVC's does, especially this year (basically a 2 team race), but overall I agree.  I would have thought a move to Big East would be required to pull them away from this conference.  

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @insaluki
Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

@rafflaw 

I think the A10's top includes more teams than the MVC's does, especially this year (basically a 2 team race), but overall I agree.  I would have thought a move to Big East would be required to pull them away from this conference.  

This doesn't bother me too much. Loyola always seemed like a peculiar fit in the MVC, and the Big East is a stretch for them, especially with DePaul in the neighborhood.

As long as the MVC continues to attract solid programs, it will be a good conference. I expect more of this down the road. While possible, it's funny that people have Belmont leaving already, and they haven't even played a game yet.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I don’t see Loyola ever in the Big East as long as DePaul is there. 

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Hate this so much, but it makes sense for them. They want to be with similar minded schools that put a better on court product. Also think this is the start of a similar Big East conference forming once the A-10 realizes half the schools can't afford national travel. 

Have a feeling Loyola, SLU, Richmond, Dayton etc. will break off to do so within the next 5-7 years. 

Also wrote a lot of thoughts on this if anyone cares to read. 

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

PackerDawg, Psychodawg, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@front-row 

Nicely written

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)

I keep going back in my mind to Doug Elgin being slow on the draw back in the 2000s. He had a chance to get Butler from the Horizon (which would’ve been a step-up for them), and since then the conference has faded. I honestly think if he was more aggressive, it would’ve kept the conference from fading. Maybe that’s just my feeling, I dunno.

Bow Em

ReplyQuote
zippadeedooDawgs
(@zippadeedoodawgs)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Breaking my heart here.  I bought tix for my Chicago Saluki pals and I every year for our games up here since they joined the MVC.  Bummer. 🙁

If you're gonna reply to me in the forums, please quote what I wrote that you're replying to so I have a clue...thanks! 😀

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

Why hasn’t UIC been considered as a replacement? They are on the upswing, have the Chicago market, and have great facilities. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @packerdawg

Why hasn’t UIC been considered as a replacement? They are on the upswing, have the Chicago market, and have great facilities. 

Their baseball facility would easily jump to the top of the Valley

rafflaw and PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld
Posted by: @packerdawg

Their baseball facility would easily jump to the top of the Valley

Nice but not any nicer than our new stadium. More brick, less woods, way worse neighborhood! LOL Dallas Baptist has a very nice facility. UIC has been pretty good in baseball.

I agree that UIC would be a nice pickup. This crap that we have to have the same number of private as public schools is a real impediment - gave us Valpo with their high school gym. That needs to go out the window.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)

Maybe the University of the Virgin Islands could join the MVC, that would be a nice road trip each year lol

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

Definitely hurts for The Valley.....but I'm also in a weight and see mode with Loyola.  Moser built that program and they seem to be in good shape this season, but we'll have to see if they can sustain.

The Valley needs to grab Murray State if they have the chance.  Murray is obviously a small market, BUT they have a solid basketball history, there are several regional rivalries with other Valley schools, and they would bring more fans to Arch Madness than Loyola ever did.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4

Share: