Football Transfer Portal 2023

13 Posts
7 Users
7 Reactions
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Not to detract from the playoff run, but I thought we could use this to keep track of the transfer portal this off-season. Southern has had good fortune with it the past couple seasons, but I’m sure we’ll see some deflections just as all programs do.

Missouri State seems to be getting hit pretty hard. Their best WR, Raylen Sharpe, announced he was entering the other day, and they’ve had at least one other entrance since then. 

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2023/11/27/raylen-sharpe-missouri-state-wide-receiver-transfer-portal-fcs-fbs/71719466007/

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

We have several nice players that are graduating with a year of eligibility left.

Could be a tough offseason for the Dawgs. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @valleyfb

We have several nice players that are graduating with a year of eligibility left.

Offseason starts with the QB.  I haven’t seen enough from Simmons in game action to hand him the job but I don’t know what goes on in practice.  You can’t afford to take a step back next year if Simmons isn’t a quality starter so I’m hoping they’re aggressive with the portal.  Also, this team desperately needs a playmaker WR, especially with Cox gone.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@salukiworld QBs will be fine. Sounds like Simmons and Lindauer will be the guys for the next couple of seasons. Reports from fall camp is these two had great camps. Both understood it is Bakers team to finish career out barring any injury. I’ve watched both in camp and practices. Lots to like about both when game planning using their skill sets.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld

Offseason starts with the QB.  I haven’t seen enough from Simmons in game action to hand him the job but I don’t know what goes on in practice.  You can’t afford to take a step back next year if Simmons isn’t a quality starter so I’m hoping they’re aggressive with the portal.  Also, this team desperately needs a playmaker WR, especially with Cox gone.

Kyle McCord might be available. 🙃 

Not sold on Simmons from what I've seen - too many worm burner passes - but he hasn't played much. Who's Lindauer? Never heard of him. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

@salukiworld QBs will be fine...

You sure about that? I'll believe it when  see it.

Cowboydawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I guess we will find out. The younger Baker throws a good ball and will have another spring and summer under his belt. Zabrowski could be available. He’s up for POY D2. Wonder if his price is 1 million like some of the FBS QBs? 
My gut tells Simmons and Lindauer will make for a good QB1 and 2 the next couple of seasons. 

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by ValleyFB

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@valleyfb I think even if Hill feels good about those two, he would be doing himself and the team a disservice if he didn’t at least evaluate the transfer class (I’m sure he will). Hill is bringing in two who played QB in Curry and Harris, but I’m not sure Harris stays at QB. I guess we’ll see how it plays out, but if you can upgrade in the portal I think you do it.

ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@siu_2011 I don’t disagree. I just think it’s time to find out if somebody in that room can play besides Baker. Sounds like all three kids that are there played really well in spring football and fall camp. You guys can say what you want, but we let Zabrowski get away just like Reed.  Zabrowski went where he had to go because he got no playing time at FCS level. He’s now up for division two player of the year as was Reed and is getting FBS looks at this time. Sounds like he’s going to have to decide between transferring again to division one or finishing out his career at the division two level. Simmons and Lindauer look like good quarterbacks that got stuck behind A record setting upperclassman that Coach Hill loves. And rightly so being kind of a local kid Hill trust to run his offense. 

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by ValleyFB

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@vallefb I want to be clear, I am hopeful Simmons or Lindauer takes the baton and runs with it. They have put in their time behind Baker and are hopefully both healthy. My point was more about adding a transfer QB if you think he makes you better. Next year should be a wide open competition regardless!

Salukifan32 and ValleyFB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@siu_2011 yes.  We are on the same page.

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Hopefully the guys that are in the program want to finish out their college careers as Salukis.  That being said I’m a realist…..and expect some transfers.  The portal is just a horrible thing.  They need to make amendments now or go back to the old rules where a kid has to sit out a season of they transfer.  The freakin’ power 5 suck as they continue to try and soak up as much money as possible, while screwing the mid-majors over.  

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @1dawg

Hopefully the guys that are in the program want to finish out their college careers as Salukis.  That being said I’m a realist…..and expect some transfers.  The portal is just a horrible thing.  They need to make amendments now or go back to the old rules where a kid has to sit out a season of they transfer.  The freakin’ power 5 suck as they continue to try and soak up as much money as possible, while screwing the mid-majors over.  

Most certainly agree. If these players want to be a part of a winning program, they will stay put. I believe that the future is bright for Saluki football. The Power 5 programs will continue to poach players from lower level D1 programs, as well as FCS. The caveat being the Saluki football program continues to excel in the portal. I feel confident that they indeed will. 

GO DAWGS!!!

rafflaw and 1DAWG reacted
ReplyQuote

Share: