2023-4 Breakout Players................

32 Posts
19 Users
37 Reactions
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

So Dawgbytes came up with an interesting question/point in another thread and I thought it deserved its own topic.  He felt that Troy D'Amico was going to be the breakout player next season.   I responded with Jarrett Hensley.

Not a lot of options as far as breakout players (as I wouldn't include freshmen myself), but who do you all think is/are going to be the breakout player(s) for this upcoming season ?? 

Edit: Please include a bit of context with your responses so we know why you feel that player may breakout this season.  

This topic was modified 12 months ago by INSaluki

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Cade Hornecker

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Scottie Ebube

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

I think Rupert will be much improved this year and show to be more versatile than we saw last year.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Considering the percentage of scoring that was lost and how little playing time the younger guys got last year behind a senior-heavy rotation, this roster should and needs to have multiple breakout players if SIU is going to be any good.

If I had to pick one guy, it's probably Ebube: third year in the program now, big-time physical tools to work with, and should be in better condition/a better flow after his injury-disrupted season. If he can just learn a simple post move or two and stay on the floor for longer stretches without fouling too much, he should do some damage at both ends.

As for the most important player ... not a returnee, but at this point, I'd probably say Trey Miller since there aren't many promising options for a scoring guard. He needs to be good (and we'll see who is still added to the mix in the late stages of the spring recruiting period).

This post was modified 12 months ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

If Ebube can be fit enough for 20-22 min a game, he's going to be a star. Potential double-double a game type of player. 

ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

I anticipate a lot from AJ.  I was not aware he scored double figures against Alabama in preseason, but that is pretty impressive.

Along with AJ's physical tools, and watching his overall athleticism last year, I think he will be a factor this next year and in the future---I hope.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

Posted by: @85dawg

I anticipate a lot from AJ.  I was not aware he scored double figures against Alabama in preseason, but that is pretty impressive.

Along with AJ's physical tools, and watching his overall athleticism last year, I think he will be a factor this next year and in the future---I hope.

If previous threads are any indication, AJ will be a popular choice.  I have my concerns, but won't belabor them here.  As far as Alabama game, take that with a grain of salt.  SIU was getting manhandled until they took their foot off the pedal and then players starting pumping in shots.  That being said, Mullins seemed to have some high praise for him as well, although again, you have to take that with a grain of salt bc Coaches are almost always pumping up their players and rarely say anything negative.  

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Look for X to take on more scoring thought he took a back seat to Marcus and Lance at times but when he had to step up he did I can see a 10 to 15 point consistently per game

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I would also expect AJ Ferguson to have a breakout year. He has great athleticism and a nice stroke. I think Bryan was waiting for his defense to catch up. He needs to be able to guard the 3. I think D'Amico can be an 8-10 ppg guy along with all the other things he does well. I wouldn't expect Ebube to be more than a 10-15 minute a game guy, but he could be very productive in that 10-15 minutes. I would expect Miller and Hensley to both have pretty significant roles, 15-20 minutes a game maybe. All speculation of course.

rafflaw and INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mike-belchaks-box)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Has SIU had a "breakout player" during the last 10-15 years?

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @mike-belchaks-box

Has SIU had a "breakout player" during the last 10-15 years?

In the Mullins era?  Maybe Barret Benson or Eric McGill in year 1 but other than that it's been the Domask/Jones show for 4 years with not much unexpected help beside them.  

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

When Ben Coupet graduated from SIU he was asked by Mike Reis who he considered to be the next impact player (paraphrasing) for SIU, his answer was Troy D'Amico. Troy is a very cerebral player, and is very versatile. He is now a junior who knows how to play the game. I think he will step up have a good year, perhaps a very good year.

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

I’m going with Ebube!  Think he has a ton of potential.  My biggest concern is whether or not the SIU coaching staff knows how to run an offense through the post.  Also means that Ebube, Hornecker, and Rupert need to know how to look for the open shooter when they’re cutoff in the post.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

The staff knows how to run thru the post have done it for years with Domask better question will post be able to make a good pass to an open shooter

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Share: