[Closed] Bryan Mullins

529 Posts
65 Users
508 Reactions
16.6 K Views
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Right now, it's looking like we may win 20 games two years in a row for the first time in 17 years. Like we might get a first-round bye in the MVC tourney two years in a row for the first time in 17 years, and we are on pace to finish with our highest KenPom and Net rankings in 16 years. So, I'm not sure this is the time to change coaches. Pretty sure those things should be enough to earn Mullins an extension. Sure, no postseason yet, but to me things are definitely trending up and moving in the right direction.

rafflaw, Kyle_Saluki_17, Sandman95 and 2 people reacted
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

I'm just ready for this conversation to be finished. It's not helping anything. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

INSaluki reacted
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

To me, it's not about THIS season as, despite the big win, they could still finish anywhere between 4th - 7th and almost assuredly not playing any meaningful post season basketball.   So then, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE POST SEASON RECRUITING.   If this staff can retain, as well as, further develop some key players and, more importantly, pick up some critical players in the portal, then next season we could be fighting for a post season birth.  And, while the Valley will lose some key players, there is a real chance the league maintains, if not improves, it's top 10 standing.  If that happens, we're looking at multiple bids for NCAA/NIT.  

Fraydog and Austinsaluki reacted
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

Kudos for the win over E-ville. 

Mullins recognized the problems with X and adjusted with double screens that allowed for kick-outs to D'Amico and Brown. Nice.

Also, we had a lot of wide-open looks from three. That a lot of those did not go down is not on BM.

(Inflammatory political snark)

SlyDawg and INSaluki reacted
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @austinsaluki

I'm just ready for this conversation to be finished. It's not helping anything. 

Freedom of the press! 😆 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

When Bryan Mullins gets back to his office from STL he should have a minimum of a 2 year contract extension sitting on his desk. Period. If he was out of a job in March he would be hired by someone before April.

(@fraydog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Stability is the best argument here for Bryan. Off the court stuff is obviously great too. Some things in the portal and for offensive strategy do need to be tweaked if not overhauled. I think a two year extension for recruiting purposes is valid. Anything more might be over the top. I like the guy a lot. Ultimately this is a performance business though and it's been a long time since we got to the promised land. 

1DAWG, SlyDawg, INSaluki and 1 people reacted
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I also believe a two-year extension is the way to go.

1DAWG, SlyDawg, INSaluki and 2 people reacted
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @fraydog

Stability is the best argument here for Bryan. Off the court stuff is obviously great too. Some things in the portal and for offensive strategy do need to be tweaked if not overhauled. I think a two year extension for recruiting purposes is valid. Anything more might be over the top. I like the guy a lot. Ultimately this is a performance business though and it's been a long time since we got to the promised land. 

Not arguing that... The postseason requires winning in STL likely every year until the Valley figures out collectively how to change it.  However, I see a staff that is going to have us in the mix every single year, a culture I haven't seen since Bryan played and a collective pride in being Salukis.  That counts for a hell of a lot in a day where loyalty could be your golden ticket. Also, Bryan is only going to get better and better.

SlyDawg and AnnaBob reacted
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@saluki-4-life 

I appreciate your confidence in Mullins.  I like the Mullins Brothers, too.  But you don't have a crystal ball.  If recruiting goes badly this Spring, it could be a calamity for our near future.  We absolutely don't want to make the same mistake we did with Lowery.  Fraydog summed it up perfectly.

SlyDawg and INSaluki reacted
carrcar
(@carrcar)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@dawgbytes I agree! Free the press! We should mix things up more. Use a press, a zone press, a box and one. (And get rid of that prevent offense)

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

SlyDawg and Fraydog reacted
(@saluki3peat)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

I too am pulling for Mullins for a number of reasons others have posted. I also agree the upcoming recruiting cycle is critical. 

It’s why the only two choices are an extension or replacement. Letting him coach into the final year of his contract would severely hamper recruiting and set the program back who knows how long. That includes re-recruiting current players in the portal/NIL world. In my humble opinion, you only get rid of him if you have a much better option in your back pocket. 

SlyDawg reacted
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @carrcar

@dawgbytes I agree! Free the press! We should mix things up more. Use a press, a zone press, a box and one. (And get rid of that prevent offense)

A box and 1 is high school stuff. I’ve never seen a college team run one, and I doubt I ever will. Every team in our conference would light that up. 

Zone press would be okay every now and then, but heck no on the “junk defenses”. 

INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

@saluki-4-life 

I appreciate your confidence in Mullins.  I like the Mullins Brothers, too.  But you don't have a crystal ball.  If recruiting goes badly this Spring, it could be a calamity for our near future.  We absolutely don't want to make the same mistake we did with Lowery.  Fraydog summed it up perfectly.

Absolutely.  I am really pleased where we are at TODAY, but there are still a couple critical games left here to end the season.  Regardless, the reality is that this team is not going to the NCAA or NIT this season (unless they shock us all and run the table in St Louis).  I said in a prior post that THIS offseason will be critical. not only for the players we do, or don't, bring in but who choses to stay or leave the team.  This team has a chance to take a major step up and be a real contender for a Valley title or it could go into next season as a projected bottom tier team. 

That being said, I really feel like we're going to see the fruits of Howard's recruiting.  If we can retain the core of the team and further develop them, I think we're finally going to be where we were all hoping to be.   

Psychodawg reacted
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I know there are 20 league games now but for the first time since Bryan was a player the Dawgs have won 11 league games in back to back seasons I would say that IA progress to building something 

Page 16 / 36

Share: