Clear all

Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.3 K Views
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@saluki-4-life did you ignore the part about how called in game plays were poor and he called timeouts at bad times?

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Let’s see if we actually get an announcement today 

ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

A couple more flame-outs and we'll be calling up George Costanza to see if we can sway him from Assistant to the Traveling Secretary. 

Cowboydawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dunkledog

@saluki-4-life did you ignore the part about how called in game plays were poor and he called timeouts at bad times?

1) its hard to call time outs at "bad times" there are a million time outs a game.  Coaches should literally get 1 a half.  They get way too many.

2) What "in game plays" were poor?  I am assuming if you remember the "in game plays" whatever those are, you know what you are referring to.  Enlighten me!

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @uncledawgpound

A couple more flame-outs and we'll be calling up George Costanza to see if we can sway him from Assistant to the Traveling Secretary. 

"And let's meet our new SIU basketball coach ... Art Vandelay!"

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

From what I remember, the problem with the Bradley game was they had 2 timeouts with a few seconds left and instead of using either, they just chucked up a half court prayer.  I remember leaving the game dumbfounded at how they didn’t call a timeout.

siufan6 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saluki-4-life probably the same play we ran for 5 years 99 percent of the time. Give it to the best player. He holds it for 20 seconds and then drives to the hoop every time

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @salukiworld

From what I remember, the problem with the Bradley game was they had 2 timeouts with a few seconds left and instead of using either, they just chucked up a half court prayer.  I remember leaving the game dumbfounded at how they didn’t call a timeout.

It was off a missed free thorw, and yes they could have called TO but the philosophy there is just to push off a miss is better than letting Bradley set their defense.  It's easy to look back and say could have done this or that.  What I remember is the previous possession with a missed X lay up and a missed wide open Newton three... Make and miss game, they had good looks.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @dunkledog

@saluki-4-life probably the same play we ran for 5 years 99 percent of the time. Give it to the best player. He holds it for 20 seconds and then drives to the hoop every time

That is not a play you are referring to and the way that looked the last 2 years was drastically different.  You are clueless.

ReplyQuote
siufan6
(@siufan6)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Yes and several fans screaming and booing after that debacle. 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saluki-4-life that’s how this year looked 100 percent. Every single team knew end of game it was Johnson holding the ball for whole time.

ReplyQuote
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)

@kiwiball as far as mid-major programs, no, we are not behind. Our athletic department budget is one of the highest in the valley. We compete in pay.

I said before, we need updated practice facilities and NIL. That’s it. I don’t know why you’d attack me. I have no clue who you are.

Bow Em

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Young head coaches tend to get "sped up" when the game gets going. This leads to the questionable play calling, substitution patterns, and timeouts. Obviously, some are at the top, some are better than others, and then there as those who flame out and the college basketball world watches from afar and realizes that they are better off as an assistant (in general or at least for the time being with more tutelage needed).

Even in close games that Mullins won, I guarantee that he watched film and thought, "Nope, shouldn't have called TO there," "Yep, look over here, X is gassed, needed it there." Every coach does that. But the problem was that it never really improved in the five years. I think the administration realized this as the main problem and concluded that Mullins was "topped out" at this point in his young coaching career. So they pulled the trigger to try again.

Which is why I absolutely think Mullins did himself no favors with having such a young, inexperienced staff. I mean, there were times when I looked at that SIU bench and just cringed, as much as I hate to be so blunt. A brother who he didn't want to fire, another 40-year old (if that) who went from High School head coach to Directer of Operations at Loyola to SIU assistant, and a 28ish year old who would still be here if SEMO hadn't pulled him away with a hierarchy promotion. Even Burrah knew he had to go get Tom Hankins to be an experienced pair of eyes in the background and a voice in his ear. 

Salukifan32, sportsfreak75, SalukiWorld and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@garywilsonfan)

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

ReplyQuote
Page 109 / 164

Share: