Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.3 K Views
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

One thing that I have noticed in some of the threads is how many people are willing to donate their money to the program now that there is new coach my question is why wasn't the donations before or am I missing something 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @jabman62

One thing that I have noticed in some of the threads is how many people are willing to donate their money to the program now that there is new coach my question is why wasn't the donations before or am I missing something 

I've donated to SIU for multiple years now but this is my first time donating specifically to the NIL fund.  I can only speak for myself in responding directly to your question though;  I didn't really understand the NIL fund prior and it is still relatively new, no ?   I would ask you a similar question... have YOU donated previously?  Have you donated yet since the Mulins firing?  If not, why ?   

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

An administration that, based on the Mullins firing, isn’t content to settle for mediocrity.

New coach that, based on his presser, I like a lot.

Hopeful for the future of SIU basketball. 

Those are my reasons. 

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

I've donated to SIU for multiple years now but this is my first time donating specifically to the NIL fund.  I can only speak for myself in responding directly to your question though;  I didn't really understand the NIL fund prior and it is still relatively new, no ?   I would ask you a similar question... have YOU donated previously?  Have you donated yet since the Mulins firing?  If not, why ?   

I have always supported the program and it has been at various degrees depending on my financial situation at the time and yes I will continue to support the program

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

On a related subject does the athletic department have a department wide NIL or is every sport for itself and If there is no department wide NIL why are behind everyone else

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

An administration that, based on the Mullins firing, isn’t content to settle for mediocrity.

Those are my reasons. 

”Based on his presser…” I'd imagine EVERYONE here loved Mullins at the time of his introductory press conference.  It’s easy to love some at this point in the relationship.

I may be in the minority in that I’m just not excited about the coming years yet. I’ll get there with winning, but I still have my concerns. 
1. He seemed a bit dismissive of NIL. 

2. He doesn’t seem to love using the transfer portal. 
3. His last two seasons weren’t great. In fact, worse than Mullins in a worse league. 
4. He plays inside-out. 

I’m by no means saying this guy won’t work out, as he has done a lot of winning over his career. My main fear is possibly being out of touch with the modern landscape because of the 4 reasons, especially if he wants a lot of freshman which extends this “rebuild” even further. 

The new offensive style sounds cool, assuming it translates to wins. But like I said, I bet Mullins’s first presser was pretty good too. I’ll hold my judgement, but I can’t sit and say I’m excited at this very moment. Really hoping I’m proven wrong in early November. 

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Those are my reasons. 

”Based on his presser…” I'd imagine EVERYONE here loved Mullins at the time of his introductory press conference.  It’s easy to love some at this point in the relationship.

I may be in the minority in that I’m just not excited about the coming years yet. I’ll get there with winning, but I still have my concerns. 

3. His last two seasons weren’t great. In fact, worse than Mullins in a worse league. 
4. He plays inside-out. 

I’m by no means saying this guy won’t work out, as he has done a lot of winning over his career. My main fear is possibly being out of touch with the modern landscape because of the 4 reasons, especially if he wants a lot of freshman which extends this “rebuild” even further. 

The new offensive style sounds cool, assuming it translates to wins. But like I said, I bet Mullins’s first presser was pretty good too. I’ll hold my judgement, but I can’t sit and say I’m excited at this very moment. Really hoping I’m proven wrong in early November. 

Just to respond to number 4 . . 4 of the last 5 truly dominant MVC schools all played inside out. Creighton with McDermott, Loyola through Krutwig, Drake through Brodie, and Indiana State with Avila (they would've reached this level next year if they had the chance). Wichita spread things out very well but also had a trio of guards that may never be matched again in this league. In college, if you can play through a big man that knows how to pass, you've got a chance to win it every year.

SlyDawg and Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

Those are my reasons. 

4. He plays inside-out. 

Just to respond to number 4 . . 4 of the last 5 truly dominant MVC schools all played inside out. Creighton with McDermott, Loyola through Krutwig, Drake through Brodie, and Indiana State with Avila (they would've reached this level next year if they had the chance). Wichita spread things out very well but also had a trio of guards that may never be matched again in this league. In college, if you can play through a big man that knows how to pass, you've got a chance to win it every year.

Maybe so, but it certainly isn't working out for NC State and DJ Burns !!!  😉 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @insaluki

Those are my reasons. 

4. He plays inside-out. 

Maybe so, but it certainly isn't working out for NC State and DJ Burns !!!  😉 🤣 

There is, of course, an exception to every rule. Nobody seems to be able to guard that dude lol

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Those are my reasons. 

4. He plays inside-out. 

So just so to respond….the only one that here is relevant is Krutwig.  McDermott was a presence not just inside….Tucker was the go to guy at Drake so to say Drake worked through Brodie would be a stretch.

Also Creighton hasn’t been in the MVC in a decade…basketball has changed in the last 10 years. Hello Steph Curry.

There are exceptions for inside out working….but the majority of college basketball has switched to guard oriented offenses.  If he can get it to work….I’m good with it.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Johnny Utah

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@kyle_saluki_17 

If we are being completely honest, I was significantly more excited about the Mullins hiring, but that was almost purely due to his NAME and link to the University (former player).  I have a few concerns with the new coach as well, one is age, the other is the transfer portal, but that is where I am hoping Howard comes in.  With regards to the record, as I mentioned in another post, while his team's record was not optimal, the difference between him and Mullins (since you brought it up) was that his team was getting better at the end of the season whereas Mullins team regressed.  Wright St finished the season 9-4 with 2 of those losses, including in the Horizon tournament, coming in OT (each by 2pts).  I fully acknowledge that I am cherry picking stats, but to me they were trending up.  SIU went 7-6, albeit with 3 OT losses, ending the season with 3 consecutive losses, of which 2 were double digit margins.   

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Those are my reasons. 

I'm on record as saying Nagy was a pretty good hire -- probably would give it a solid 7 out of 10, with the caveats being the portal and his final two years at Wright State -- but I'd guess every SIU coaching hire over the past 50 years has "won the press conference," except probably Hinson. Even Allen Van Winkle made a good first impression -- probably anyone would've made a good impression after the Gottfried years. One of his quotes was something like, "We've got to walk before we can run, but we want to be running as soon as possible." Sounded good at the time, but there wasn't much "walking" or "running" -- mostly stumbling and falling. 

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

@ajcsaluki 

Hilarious: I remember that.

I'm not even sure Van Winkle would have been fired had the "discrepancies" and such not been found. Thankfully they were. Embarrassing. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Those are my reasons. 

4. He plays inside-out. 

So just so to respond….the only one that here is relevant is Krutwig.  McDermott was a presence not just inside….Tucker was the go to guy at Drake so to say Drake worked through Brodie would be a stretch.

Also Creighton hasn’t been in the MVC in a decade…basketball has changed in the last 10 years. Hello Steph Curry.

There are exceptions for inside out working….but the majority of college basketball has switched to guard oriented offenses.  If he can get it to work….I’m good with it.  

We would disagree, ultimately. Drake’s best offense was mostly created through Brodie’s passing from the elbow and on post ups, utilizing back cuts and ball movement. When they were most beatable was when Tucker ISO’d and they ran stuff through him (unless he got hot which he occasionally did). If you don’t have a true great big man it’s much harder to run an effective pick and roll, which is the basis of every offense nowadays. Great guard play is so important, but basketball’s history will point to needing great players that are 6’7” and up to consistently be at the top. Not many Curry’s and Isaiah’s running around.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Cosmos

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@cosmos 

I agree.  While DeVries was clearly their best player, they DID run a lot of the offense through Brodie. 

rafflaw and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 163 / 164

Share: