112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki82

Posted by: @saluki44

Posted by: @dunkledog

I highly doubt it’s him. He has nothing they talked about in the press release. He seems super unimpressive 

That resume is not unimpressive at all. Associate Head Coach at Texas A&M at that age (upper 30s?) indicates the exact opposite, actually. 

Texas a&m had recruiting violations in 2021 by the head coach and an assistant coach. Was he there then and was he the assistant coach mentioned?

He was there. The NCAA report cited head coach Buzz Williams but did not name the assistant. Williams served a two-game suspension. Johnson filled in as head coach while Williams was suspended.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dunkledog

Someone mentioned Long Beach state coach being a candidate. On the siu athletics facebook page 

I hope it’s just coming from this board.  Monson is 63 in October and outside of this year’s magic; he’s been greatly underachieving at Long Beach

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @dmr

@salukiworld that was my initial thought on a chance of getting him also. But when my wife mentioned the sighting I thought I'd at least mention it.

Bob was just on his Spring whiskey tour, heading for Buckwater Brew Works and Whiskey House.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

In his comments shortly after the "mutual separation" was announced, Monson also came across as a bit tired and burned out. It's great for him and a wonderful story that his run at Long Beach State is ending on a high note, but I don't see a 63-year-old moving 2/3 of the way across the country for a job that's going to take a lot of work.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by AJCSaluki

MPH and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

The guy at A& M does not have a good resume. Would be a bad hire. Gotta hope it’s not him

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dogdays

The guy at A& M does not have a good resume. Would be a bad hire. Gotta hope it’s not him

He's an associate head coach at an SEC school in his 30’s.  He’s my 3rd option and I’d rather grab someone that’s shown they can build a program as a head coach but he doesn’t have an unimpressive resume.  This is a hire we’d only have access to because of a connection with the Chancellor.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Monson took tiny Gonzaga to the Elite 8 and started that program, then left for Minnesota.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

No chance we go after Monson. We already played that game with Hinson. 

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

How's it a bad resume? Time in the NBA. Assistant at multiple power conference schools. Associate head coach on a tournament team this year. He's not my first option either but what about this is bad?

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @jabman62

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @kiwiball

No matter who the next coach is. It will be 3-4 years before we get relevant again. 
Because of NIL MONEY and that players want to play in the NCAA and not a chance we sniff it in 5 years 

This isn't true.  Western Kentucky hired Steve Lutz this year and he flipped a roster to an NCAA Tournament.  Danny Sprinkle did the same at Utah State.  I'm not saying expectations should be high next year but you can flip a team fast in the portal era.  It's something Bryan really struggled with the last 3 years and probably what ultimately did him in.

they were not complete roster change overs some players stayed 

Utah State returned 0.1% of their minutes last year.  Western Kentucky returned 20.6% of their minutes.  Will Wade flipped the roster at McNeese State too, 16.8% returning minutes.

exceptions to the rule I don't have high hopes

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

If you really look at it he was essentially a basketball ops guy prior to 2019. Not able to coach on the floor. His NBA stint was in game day ops and presentation and sales…. Not coaching. His actual coaching resume is thin. Just because A & M is good and Buzz has shown to be a good coach doesn’t mean his assistant is head coach material. Matt Painter is one of the best in the biz but Paul and Jack were not successful head coaches. It’s not who we should be looking for. And our chancellor is responsible for the women’s basketball coach hire. Not encouraging.

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Monson took tiny Gonzaga to the Elite 8 and started that program, then left for Minnesota.

I say we go after Mark Few. I mean, we gotta be able to outspend lil ol Gonzanga right? haha.

Just kidding of course. But that is a man with an impressive record. I know he is in the WCC and all, but he has been a head coach for 25 years now, and has made 25 NCAA tournaments. You would think he would have had at least one not great year by now, but nope.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

If you really look at it he was essentially a basketball ops guy prior to 2019. Not able to coach on the floor. His NBA stint was in game day ops and presentation and sales…. Not coaching. His actual coaching resume is thin. Just because A & M is good and Buzz has shown to be a good coach doesn’t mean his assistant is head coach material. Matt Painter is one of the best in the biz but Paul and Jack were not successful head coaches. It’s not who we should be looking for. And our chancellor is responsible for the women’s basketball coach hire. Not encouraging.

I agree that he shouldn’t be our first option. I would much prefer we end up with a current head coach at a school in a lower-rated conference. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Let’s see if we mess this up. When Coach Weber was hired he was not the committees first choice. The committee wanted the HC out of South Carolina State. The AD at that time was Jim Hart who overruled them. Picked Weber.  Maybe we should let the AD make the decision because that’s what he is paid for. Not the others that MAY be involved 

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@kiwiball Turned out to be a smart move by Hart. Earlier Matt Painter’s name was mentioned in a post. Think about where he would be now if Weber had not hired him from Eastern Illinois as an assistant?

ReplyQuote
Page 40 / 164

Share: