Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.7 K Views
SlyDawg
(@slydawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@saluki44 I’m sure they didn’t just start searching this morning. This fire was not a knee jerk reaction to one game.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Barkeep 1967

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@barkeep-1967 

Sorry, but I don't understand. Seriously, I don't know what you mean.

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I hope McCollum from Northwest Missouri State is considered.

Its D2 but he has built a strong program. Multiple D2 national titles.

Ties to Midwest. From Iowa, played college ball in Iowa and Missouri, coached in Missouri and Kansas.

Still young at 42. 

Granted NWMS is his Alma mater.

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

@fraydog 

Lane has done better work than any of his predessors in recent memory.

Great point.

Fraydog reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

More of us need to listen to the Tim Leonard interview and stop with the wild speculation.  He lays out what he's looking for and says he already has a list.

He would like to get it done quickly.  But with some of the candidates still coaching this season, it could take weeks.  Thus, he's not putting a timeline on it.

He wants someone with "head coaching experience- not someone who has to learn on the job."  He also wants someone with "proven sustained success" and doesn't care what name is on the front of their jersey.

He also wants someone who understands SIU's rich basketball history and that NCAA appearances are expected.  Connections to SIU are not necessary, but could be seen as "a bonus."

So, there you go.

Fraydog, INSaluki, Sandman95 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@invisiblesaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Let's say that we somehow keep all our recruits and players with remaining eligibility for next year, I feel like we'd be somewhere around the10th best team in the valley.

So I don't feel like "continuity" is the reason to hire someone from within.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower level head coach get the job trying to catch lightning in a bottle like ISU blue 

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

More of us need to listen to the Tim Leonard interview and stop with the wild speculation.  He lays out what he's looking for and says he already has a list.

He would like to get it done quickly.  But with some of the candidates still coaching this season, it could take weeks.  Thus, he's not putting a timeline on it.

He wants someone with "head coaching experience- not someone who has to learn on the job."  He also wants someone with "proven sustained success" and doesn't care what name is on the front of their jersey.

He also wants someone who understands SIU's rich basketball history and that NCAA appearances are expected.  Connections to SIU are not necessary, but could be seen as "a bonus."

So, there you go.

This is great: I highly approve. 

Can we afford this? 

I really wanted Mullins to succeed, mostly because I liked his idea of "culture." But he utterly failed at " learning on the job." I mean, it would be fine to "learn on the job" if you actually learned on the job.

The whole situation is just sickening. I'm torn between thinking he should have been extended and thinking he refused to learn on the job. 

It's just so so unfortunate. 

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

So, there you go.

Smithpeters checks every one of those boxes, just fyi

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Yeaaaa not really  Juco head coach is not quite it. 

rafflaw and SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

In the interview he was asked point blank if it had to be DI experience, DII, DIII or even juco, and that is when he said sustained success and he didn't care about the name on the jersey.

Not saying i agree with it, just saying by what Leonard said in interview, he checks all those boxes.

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @quatroschallengesaluki

In the interview he was asked point blank if it had to be DI experience, DII, DIII or even juco, and that is when he said sustained success and he didn't care about the name on the jersey.

Not saying i agree with it, just saying by what Leonard said in interview, he checks all those boxes.

You got him with the HC aspect, but I wouldn't say 0-17 in conference represents sustained success.  

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Posted by: @insaluki

You got him with the HC aspect, but I wouldn't say 0-17 in conference represents sustained success.  

Pretty sure the sustained success would be the success he had as a head coach, not the record he has as one of the bottom assistants on an SEC staff in their second year.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

If memory serves me, our best run on the post season was when we dipped into the high school ranks, Rich Herrin.

Have any of you seen Centralia HS teams play? Uncanny win rate with highly disciplined, well coached teams year in and year out.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Pretty sure the sustained success would be the success he had as a head coach, not the record he has as one of the bottom assistants on an SEC staff in their second year.

kyle isn’t perfect but blaming him for Missouri is moronic and shows a lack of basketball knowledge 

Grimper57 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 164

Share: