Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.9 K Views
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@sandman95 Interesting. This seems like it would be a logical move for both parties.

Sandman95 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@sandman95 

plus YSU is very big with NIL money now. They put a considerable emphasis to it.  
Is SIU at the same level with NIL MONEY?

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @kiwiball

@sandman95 

plus YSU is very big with NIL money now. They put a considerable emphasis to it.  
Is SIU at the same level with NIL MONEY?

YSU has NIL money mainly because of him.  He’s a very good fundraiser.  

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Also, YSU is a football school. I’m guessing they’re not going to be terribly motivated to keep a basketball coach. I’m pretty sure SIU can win a bidding war if that’s what it were to come down to, but I’m guessing this guy is ready to make a jump, anyway. 

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Calhoun would be a good hire all things considered. If so, hope he keeps Howard for any recruiting inroads he has made and all the recruiting connections he has. Definitely, clean house otherwise.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Calhoun's name is being floated for both Duquesne and WVU by some on social media and fan boards, although I don't think the WVU job is realistic.

ReplyQuote
salukis60
(@salukis60)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

I just did a little reading on Calhoun. I’d be on board with him too.

Hasn’t reached the tournament with Youngstown yet, but has done progressively better since being hired in 2017. 

I looked at Youngstown’s records before he was hired. They’ve been a pretty terrible program for a long time. Went 11-21 and 13-21 the two seasons before their longtime head coach Jerry Slocum was finally fired and Calhoun brought on. 

This seems like it would be a really solid hire. 

He had a pretty impressive record as head coach, prior to Youngstown, at Fairmount State, 124-38.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rafflaw)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

We could do worse, but One NIT appearance in 7 yeaers is not what the AD was looking for.  I am interested in his 7'3" freshman center so if he can bring him along with him, I would be in favor of Calhoun.  We need someone asap to start rebuilding in the portal.     

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

INSaluki, Foxman24, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
DirtyDale
(@dirtydale)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I don’t want to be a negative nancy here…

But none Calhoun’s teams at YSU have ever made a conference tournament final (in a pretty bad conference). In fact, his teams have been pretty terrible in the Horizon league tourney with only 3 wins over 7 years. 

Just adding this context since that seems to be one of our measuring sticks for success around here. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by DirtyDale

SIU_2011, Salukifan32, oberkfell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @14_alumdawg

There’s a southern Illinois social media “influencer” (I say that lightly because she’s a wannabe) who is good friends with the Mullins family. She claims his wife found out about his firing via social media. Which makes me assume Mullins went to Lingle, got fired, took a minute to collect his thoughts before going home, but media posted IMMEDIATELY about him being let go. So that’s how his wife found out on socials. Pretty bad look in my opinion. Could’ve given him an hour to tell his family 

It is factual that Mullins did not have the opportunity to tell his family before it leaked. He also did not get to break the news to his players, as has already been noted on this board. The way it went down was pretty weak considering all that Bryan did for SIU as both a player and coach. I wouldn't be surprised if many years pass before he steps foot on campus again.

oberkfell and DirtyDale reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

That’s on whoever leaked the story to the media.

Quatros Saluki, saluki82, Foxman24 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I'd be alright with Calhoun. Don't think he's many people's first choice but feels like he'd do a solid job. Not turn us into some cellar dweller like our "fan" wants us to become 

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @dirtydale

But none Calhoun’s teams at YSU have ever made a conference tournament final (in a pretty bad conference). In fact, his teams have been pretty terrible in the Horizon league tourney with only 3 wins over 7 years. 

Let's not forget that a team from that "pretty bad conference" (a team that finished just one game ahead of Youngstown in the league race) just defeated Kentucky in the NCAA tournament and came within an overtime of reaching the Sweet 16. 

I agree with the assessment about his teams' performances in the Horizon tournament and his lack of success there certainly is a bit of a red flag, but his overall body of work (which includes a .765 winning percentage at Fairmont State and a runner-up finish in the Division II national tournament) is very solid.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by AJCSaluki

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Frog
(@frog)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@salukibbfan1 And just where is your information that Austin Lane is calling the shots?

ReplyQuote
Page 78 / 164

Share: