Evansville situation

66 Posts
27 Users
15 Reactions
Mjzelten
(@mjzelten)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@austinsaluki

This isn't something new.  I was a university employee for over 30 years, and a university staff member, administrator or instructor was subject to dismissal if caught in a relationship with a student. 

Don't get me wrong, these relationships did happen.  I can attest to more than one incident I was aware of.  Those people were warned by others, including me, that they were jeopardizing their careers if it were discovered.

University employees hold a decided advantage of authority over students, regardless of age or gender.  It is that authority that places the student in a subservient position.  That is what makes it unethical, and makes the offending party subject to dismissal. 

This is, and at least since the late 70's, been stated policy of Illinois University's.

“True terror is waking up one morning and discovering your high school class is running the country.” —Kurt Vonnegut

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I get that its a power thing if the university employee is a professor or an advisor or anything that has to do with that students education or career.... but we are talking about a coach here. He isn't teaching anyone, isn't grading any papers, isn't advising anyone except maybe his own players. There would be no situation I can think of where any female student could be coerced by him. This shouldn't be a situation where any female student should feel he had any authority over them. If he were a professor of some sort sure, but I don't get this case. But then like others have said, we don't know all the facts, there could be a lot more to it. 

ReplyQuote
Salukibbfan1
(@salukibbfan1)
Saluki Stadium Poster

sitaution getting uglyer everyday down in eville.

now sexual assault accusations.

doug elgin probable not happy

ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

@quatroschallengesaluki

Cheerleaders and female student-athletics would certainly feel pressure from the basketball coach......."I'll tell your coach I saw you cutting class."  "I'll tell your boyfriend who is one of my players I saw you kissing someone else." 

Fan - "sure, you be the one to report me and let all of Evansville's fans and family feel let down when I'm fired because you dressed like a hooker?"

Plenty of pressure.  Think like a 19 year old woman and think of the worse case you can imagine.  Then take it times ten.

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

Yuck. Just...yuck.

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5