Illinois State @ SIU 2/13/21 3:00 PM ESPN3

122 Posts
31 Users
69 Reactions
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88

I say keep Jones, Banks, Domask, Muila, Filewich, Verplancken and Brown. I'm on the fence about Harvey. If his defense gets marketly better by the end of the year maybe keep him too. Get rid of the rest and hope the 3 freshman improve the overall quality. That gives you 2 or 3 scholarships to use to vastly improve the athleticism. Best used on upper classman. Juco's or grad transfers. Most needed 6'6'-6'8" long, super athletic wings or small forwards.

No disrespect to the players, but I think it's fair to discuss.  This year has shown that players moving up from D2 and low-major programs are probably not the answer.  And any player who can't get PT on this extremely bad team (Long, Butler, Dembele) probably needs to find greener pastures.  Depending on how bad Muila's injury is, we may need to replace him, too.  Tough call on D'Avanzo.  His PT and effectiveness have really dwindled.  He may want to leave on his own, being a Grad Student.  I agree we need better athletes and if the opportunity arises to sign 1...or 2....or 3, we should probably do it. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Rockin' Dawg

salukis60 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I say keep Jones, Banks, Domask, Muila, Filewich, Verplancken and Brown. I'm on the fence about Harvey. If his defense gets marketly better by the end of the year maybe keep him too. Get rid of the rest and hope the 3 freshman improve the overall quality. That gives you 2 or 3 scholarships to use to vastly improve the athleticism. Best used on upper classman. Juco's or grad transfers. Most needed 6'6'-6'8" long, super athletic wings or small forwards.

No disrespect to the players, but I think it's fair to discuss.  This year has shown that players moving up from D2 and low-major programs are probably not the answer.  And any player who can't get PT on this extremely bad team (Long, Butler, Dembele) probably needs to find greener pastures.  Depending on how bad Muila's injury is, we may need to replace him, too.  Tough call on D'Avanzo.  His PT and effectiveness have really dwindled.  He may want to leave on his own, being a Grad Student.  I agree we need better athletes and if the opportunity arises to sign 1...or 2....or 3, we should probably do it. 

I think Verplancken has made the jump pretty well.  In terms of Muila, I'm pretty sure he's had past injury problems including a similar injury to the one he had this year.  I don't think there's a guarantee he's gonna come in and be the same force they thought he'd be when they signed him.  Torn meniscus is a hard injury to come back from.  But granted, I'm not watching him rehab or practice.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld
Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I think Verplancken has made the jump pretty well.  In terms of Muila, I'm pretty sure he's had past injury problems including a similar injury to the one he had this year.  I don't think there's a guarantee he's gonna come in and be the same force they thought he'd be when they signed him.  Torn meniscus is a hard injury to come back from.  But granted, I'm not watching him rehab or practice.

Verplancken has made some strides but still has a ways to go at both ends of the floor. Happy to give him an off-season and see what he looks like in his second year of DI ball, but if we’re talking about wanting to elevate the program from near the bottom this year to top 2-3 and needing to get more athletic. the jury is certainly out on most of the current roster, including Verplancken.

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Does it seem to anybody else that we play harder on the road than at home?  Even in some of our losses, I thought the Salukis played better defense, gave it more energy than their opponent. As I think Reis or Starrick mentioned, these home games sans fans, cheerleaders and the pep band are more like playing at a neutral site than a true home game. 

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

We sure weren't talking this way after the Butler game. This board tends to be rather bipolar.

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)

I think you're right Dawgbytes, maybe we're the problem...in fact maybe we ALL are bipolar. Another casualty of the Covid era.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

We sure weren't talking this way after the Butler game. This board tends to be rather bipolar.

I was super excited and bought into the hope/hype after the Butler game so I am guilty of the bi-polarity.  But it's the conference portion of the schedule that has the biggest impact on a teams season.  What this team has done, or what it hasn't done, in its last 18-20 valley games is of serious concern.    

ReplyQuote
the bobber
(@the-bobber)
Saluki Platnum Member Saluki Insider

Posted by: @thunnellvision
Posted by: @salukifan32
Posted by: @barkeep-1967

In Barry Hinson's worst year (3rd season), SIU finished #223 in KenPom

In Lowery's worst year (last season), SIU finished #222 in KenPom

SIU is currently #226 in KenPom

And both took over teams in far better shape than Bryan did.   Relax this is a learning year that was crippled by Covid  shutdowns and 2 major injuries 

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything but how did Coach Mullins take over a team in worse shape than Hinson? Did we not go something crazy like 6-25 in Lowery's last year?

He didn’t. Barry Hinson took over a FAR worse team than Mullins. FAR worse. Mullins had far from a barren cupboard. Bryan Took some of Hinson’s recruits and returning players last year and turned it into a solid team. This first crop of transfers he got is not doing the job. Hopefully his recruits will next year.

barry inherited a pair of all conference players in desmar jackson and jeff early.  

bryan inherited cook, mcgill, and gooch.

come on, man.  one look at the bobber tells you he wasn't born yesterday.

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @the-bobber

And both took over teams in far better shape than Bryan did.   Relax this is a learning year that was crippled by Covid  shutdowns and 2 major injuries 

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything but how did Coach Mullins take over a team in worse shape than Hinson? Did we not go something crazy like 6-25 in Lowery's last year?

He didn’t. Barry Hinson took over a FAR worse team than Mullins. FAR worse. Mullins had far from a barren cupboard. Bryan Took some of Hinson’s recruits and returning players last year and turned it into a solid team. This first crop of transfers he got is not doing the job. Hopefully his recruits will next year.

barry inherited a pair of all conference players in desmar jackson and jeff early.  

I must be forgetting something because I don't remember Jeff Early being all-conference before Hinson was here. And I'm not even defending Hinson I'm just saying the program he took over was less than desirable

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@salukifan32 the amount of recruiting that coach Mullins had to do to fill roster was amazing just to be competitive after  the class imbalance that Hinson left we are in total rebuild mode start with the foundation pains the future will be bright 

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
the bobber
(@the-bobber)
Saluki Platnum Member Saluki Insider

Posted by: @the-bobber

I must be forgetting something because I don't remember Jeff Early being all-conference before Hinson was here. And I'm not even defending Hinson I'm just saying the program he took over was less than desirable

well, i guess you could say desmar wasn't all conference until barry arrived either.

not many coaches take over a desirable roster.  thankfully, bryan was able to keep lance.  unfortunately, barry was not able to keep dantiel daniels.  a team built around desmar, early and daniels would have been a nice start for barry. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

In this season of turmoil because of various situations the game yesterday was embarrassing display but as I scroll thru ncaa scores and the seasons records I notice alot of the blue blood programs are struggles are as bad or worse than this current saluki team I think we all need to be patient and hope this team improves and grows for the future no one likes results like yesterday but the future will be bright

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

Posted by: @jabman62

In this season of turmoil because of various situations the game yesterday was embarrassing display but as I scroll thru ncaa scores and the seasons records I notice alot of the blue blood programs are struggles are as bad or worse than this current saluki team I think we all need to be patient and hope this team improves and grows for the future no one likes results like yesterday but the future will be bright

This!  Everyone please have patience.  If anyone can bring the Salukis back, it’s Bryan.  This is a tough year and we’re missing a couple key players.  Hopefully next year we can get back to the Arena and will the Salukis to victory.  But this year, just appreciate the strides players like Filewich are making and know we have an excellent recruiting class coming in. 

Class of 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I am pessimistic about this season, but positive about the future.  It's possible to be both, y'know?  😉 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Wonder what this board, had it existed back then, would have said after the NCAA bound Salukis got bombed by Creighton in the tourney final on '03?

The Butler and Murray St. game showed that (when we have Domask,) we are capable of being a pretty darn good team. We played tough D, shot the lights out, and played with great energy and confidence.

That tells me the talent is there - this is not "Flowers For Algernon". A lot has to do with being young IMO...and who knows what's going on in the locker room? Could be some bad attitudes somewhere??Could be a young and inexperienced coaching staff?? Seems like more experienced teams are handling this pandemic a lot better.

I think BM will get it done, but unlike a lot of people on here, I never believed he would come in and be a great coach from his very first day Ever on the job! We were better last year, but also much more experienced and playing in front of fans, practicing more, etc! After listening to his post games, I believe he would be the first to tell you that he's got a lot to learn and is learning! As a teacher and coach in a past life, I know every group and every age is different and adjustments in how to handle them are a must! And you're always learning, unless you're an inflexible idiot!

I still think we have a great nucleus in Domask, Jones, Filewich, Verplancken, and Brown. And more talent on the way!! No question some experienced transfers can help greatly next year (another Barrett Benson would be great!!)

I still think the future's very bright and one (or more) awful blowout with a young group doesn't bother me at all (other than losing to the Redturds!)

Class of 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 9

Share: