Letter from Mullins

12 Posts
12 Users
38 Reactions
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster
Topic starter  

Saluki Nation, 

Thank you for entrusting me to represent this program. I am proud of where we stand today after all the challenges our team has faced during the last two years. No one could have predicted the way the pandemic would change college athletics. 

This year was challenging, heartbreaking, frustrating and rewarding — all at different times. Sometimes we lost, often we just ran out of time, but every time we learned and grew as a team. We accomplished some things that have not been done here at SIU in years.

A few achievements from this past year:

• We finished with the highest KenPom rating since 2008. KenPom is the only tool still available that has remained consistent over the last 20 years that evaluates what type of team you are. 

• We had our best defensive team since 2008 and fifth-best in the last 50 years. We led the MVC and finished 16th in the country in scoring defense. 

• We currently have the longest non-conference home court winning streak since 1999-2003.

• For the first time since 2006-2007, we had back to back seasons with Power 6 wins.

• We currently have the only two 1,000-point scorers as juniors (Marcus Domask, Lance Jones) in program history

• Marcus joins Kent Williams, Jamaal Tatum and myself as the only Scholar Athlete of the Year winners in program history

• We currently have the highest team GPA (3.526) in program history. 

We will win here, the way you want, the way I expect to, the way our guys work for. I was hired to establish a championship program. Our guys understand to win a championship you have to be a champion first, and that is what we are doing here — building champions, every day. Over the last three years we have established an identity as one of the hardest-playing teams in the country. That matters, a lot. 

Now, we must continue to get better in every aspect, top to bottom. And We Will.  

I love this University. I love Carbondale. I love Southern Illinois. I am not “from here” but have always felt at home here. Home is not necessarily a location but a sense of belonging, something you take pride in, something you protect, somewhere you love. This is Home. 

I can’t wait for next season. 

Go Dawgs,

CSpringsSaluki, Quatros Saluki, Dawgs98 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Is it November yet?

PackerDawg, Kyle_Saluki_17, Maroonloon and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Bryan Mullins is 100% CLASS. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Totally agree 

ReplyQuote
the bobber
(@the-bobber)
Saluki Platnum Member Saluki Insider

as i have said before, we are lucky to have bryan, and his actions remind us of it all the time.  there is no doubt in my mind that he gets this done.  go dawgs indeed.

Quatros Saluki, Rockin' Dawg, PackerDawg and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Agree, AND he actually cares about SIU and wants to be here. He's building the program the right way, and I look forward to many successful years with BM as the HC. Go Southern Go!

This post was modified 2 years ago by TJ McFlys

Maroonloon reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowboydawg
(@cowboydawg)

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Saluki Nation, 

Thank you for entrusting me to represent this program. I am proud of where we stand today after all the challenges our team has faced during the last two years. No one could have predicted the way the pandemic would change college athletics. 

This year was challenging, heartbreaking, frustrating and rewarding — all at different times. Sometimes we lost, often we just ran out of time, but every time we learned and grew as a team. We accomplished some things that have not been done here at SIU in years.

A few achievements from this past year:

• We finished with the highest KenPom rating since 2008. KenPom is the only tool still available that has remained consistent over the last 20 years that evaluates what type of team you are. 

• We had our best defensive team since 2008 and fifth-best in the last 50 years. We led the MVC and finished 16th in the country in scoring defense. 

• We currently have the longest non-conference home court winning streak since 1999-2003.

• For the first time since 2006-2007, we had back to back seasons with Power 6 wins.

• We currently have the only two 1,000-point scorers as juniors (Marcus Domask, Lance Jones) in program history

• Marcus joins Kent Williams, Jamaal Tatum and myself as the only Scholar Athlete of the Year winners in program history

• We currently have the highest team GPA (3.526) in program history. 

We will win here, the way you want, the way I expect to, the way our guys work for. I was hired to establish a championship program. Our guys understand to win a championship you have to be a champion first, and that is what we are doing here — building champions, every day. Over the last three years we have established an identity as one of the hardest-playing teams in the country. That matters, a lot. 

Now, we must continue to get better in every aspect, top to bottom. And We Will.  

I love this University. I love Carbondale. I love Southern Illinois. I am not “from here” but have always felt at home here. Home is not necessarily a location but a sense of belonging, something you take pride in, something you protect, somewhere you love. This is Home. 

I can’t wait for next season. 

Go Dawgs,

👍

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

"Winning the right way"

Serious question...Has anyone on our team had a technical foul since Mullins took over?

Armon Fletcher was on the team when I was a student at SIU, and while I didn't think his attitude was terrible, there was nothing worse than seeing him ruin a good poster dunk by getting a technical foul on a stare down after the play.

I can appreciate the fact that I have not even seen the slightest hint of that over the last 3 years.

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I absolutely LOVE Mullins and got goosebumps after reading his note. My dream, when he was hired, was that he would build a winning program, sustain that winning and then STAY here until he retired, similar to what Mark Few has done at Gonzaga.  First 3 seasons and immediate future aside, I still think he can do ALL of the aforementioned and I am going to enjoy every single minute of it.  

usmcsaluki, kzelten, Maroonloon and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@risaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Count me among those who are grateful to have Bryan Mullins heading our program.  In this area of instant gratification, I love the fact they we are making forward progress and, that the knowledgeable Saluki nation posters, are in it for a long haul.

I look forward to the day of returning to St. Louis for the MVC Championship and watching the Dawgs winning that championship crown.

Austinsaluki, INSaluki, Maroonloon and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bad_dawg)
Davies Gym Poster

I needed that. 

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Come on you Koolaid drinkers. Coach Barbecue was thinking almost the same thing when he clapped east, west, north, south at fandom!    

NAH!

Go Bryan...Go Dawgs! As I've said before, I think he'll get it done. Love the attitude and direction!

ReplyQuote

Share: