(@usmcsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I wouldn't think we'd be able to afford Matta with his background

Cowboydawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Matta is a great thought but I doubt he would be interested. Does anyone remember why he transferred out of here?

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I put that out more or less as a joke. 

1 Championship game appearance
2 NCAA Final Fours
NIT Championship
5 Big Ten regular season Championships
4 Big Ten Tournament Championships
3× Big Ten Coach of the Year

Supposedly agreed to leave Ohio St. for health reasons. He's only 52. Maybe he'd like a lower-stress, much lower-paying mid-major job!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Someone tell me why exactly Bryan Mullins should be our head coach????

4 years as an assistant to Porter Moser, never been a head coach at any level

Big leap from that brief experience to a D1 head coach.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: Mr_Woogers

Is it really difficult to see the appeal? I’ll indulge you:

- Tremendous reputation as a young coach, including quickly ascending to associate head coach for Loyola program that went to the freakin Final Four last spring

- Tremendous Saluki background, not only athletically, but academically. That all matters re: quickly winning over fans and credibility on the recruiting trail

- Speaking of recruiting, his family’s cachet in the Chicago area AAU scene is well-documented, and he’s been a big part of Loyola’s huge recruiting success

- If you’ve heard him interviewed in recent years (including at the SIU hall of fame event this fall), it doesn’t take long to realize  how sharp he is and what an upgrade he’d be over drama queen Hucky from a PR standpoint

- Because he’s young, he might be relatively affordable for a broke school that can’t pay market value for a big name

Not sure if he’d still take the job after all the BS last spring, but if he did, it’s not hard to see why most Saluki fans would be thrilled.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Hate to break it to you but at the payscale we are offering you can kiss successful head coaching experience good bye as something our candidates will have.  This isn’t 15 years ago where this is a hot job to have either 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Two words: Nick Hill - sharp young Saluki, highly respected OC, more experienced than Mullins and still looking for success.

I'm sure Mullins is a sharp young guy and not a bullsh*t machine like Hinson. He might turn out to be a great young coach. That lack of any head coaching experience is bothersome. And I wouldn't say Loyola's recruiting has been head and shoulders above ours. Before last year's surprising season by Loyola (please note Loyola's anemic performance this year), most people were constantly saying Loyola was a weak choice for the MVC.

As far as this not being a hot job, it's a mid-major. There's a ton of coaches out there who'd love to become a head coach here for $350K/year - there are certainly lower-paid mid-major jobs out there. Don't think there would be a lack of candidates. Most see this or other mid-major jobs as a stepping stone (except Hinson of course.)

If I was AD, I'd really do my homework before hiring the next coach. I wouldn't automatically hand it to Mr. Mullins without checking out the lay of the land.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Two words: Nick Hill - sharp young Saluki, highly respected OC, more experienced than Mullins and still looking for success.

I'm sure Mullins is a sharp young guy and not a bullsh*t machine like Hinson. He might turn out to be a great young coach. That lack of any head coaching experience is bothersome. And I wouldn't say Loyola's recruiting has been head and shoulders above ours. Before last year's surprising season by Loyola (please note Loyola's anemic performance this year), most people were constantly saying Loyola was a weak choice for the MVC.

As far as this not being a hot job, it's a mid-major. There's a ton of coaches out there who'd love to become a head coach here for $350K/year - there are certainly lower-paid mid-major jobs out there. Don't think there would be a lack of candidates. Most see this or other mid-major jobs as a stepping stone (except Hinson of course.)

If I was AD, I'd really do my homework before hiring the next coach. I wouldn't automatically hand it to Mr. Mullins without checking out the lay of the land.

If someone is truly have success, then someone is going to offer them more than 350k.  You arent going to have any coaches wallowing at lower pay than that who dont have better offers than SIU on the table.  SIU is going to be able to attract two kinds of candidates in their situation, young guns with something to prove who have no coaching experience or vets (like Hinson) who have coached before but their career is defined by mediocrity.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

The Murray State coach makes in excess of $400k.

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Two words: Nick Hill

Two more words: Chris Lowery

Or Paul Lusk if you are a Bears fan.

I don't think we would go wrong with Mullins. We need to explore all available options.

Craving a McBride Special!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: The Goblin King

If someone is truly have success, then someone is going to offer them more than 350k.  You arent going to have any coaches wallowing at lower pay than that who dont have better offers than SIU on the table.  SIU is going to be able to attract two kinds of candidates in their situation, young guns with something to prove who have no coaching experience or vets (like Hinson) who have coached before but their career is defined by mediocrity.

I completely disagree with that. Evansville just hired Walter McCarty, an assistant coach for the Celtics (learned under the excellent Brad Stevens - not a bad thing, Pitino, and was a Pacers assistant), and UE is showing a few signs of life already. Some guys want a start as a head coach and it isn't all about the money. Have no idea what McCarty makes at Evansville but I doubt they're paying a lot. Marty Simmons was making 180K.

A very successful high school or D2 coach or JC is definitely possible. Rich Herrin - darn good coach and had some good teams. Or an NBA assistant??

As I say, there are a lot of mid-majors that pay less than 350K. Maybe Cook would kick in a few bucks.

Jacobson is by far the highest paid MVC coach (and his teams have been crap last two years.) Muller and Moser make around $400.  Simmons made way less than Hinson. Lansing makes less than Hinson - and made the NCAA not so long ago. 

And by the way, if Evansville can get McCarty, Calbert Chaney, an assistant for Purdue, and an assistant for Xavier as candidates, SIU can too. Dave Ragland of Valpo was also a candidate.

"Ragland has eight seasons of Division I coaching experience: four at Indiana State, one each at Bowling Green and Northern Kentucky and the last two at Valparaiso. Prior to that, he spent five years in the junior college ranks at Vincennes – the last two of which as head coach. He’s well-regarded in the industry and viewed as a rising star with a tireless work ethic and recruiting chops."

I'd be unhappy if there was not a list of 4 or 5 candidates for the HC job.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Well you need to make up your mind, you complain Mullins has no head coaching experience then wax poetic about several people with no head coaching experience.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Also are we just going to ignore Walter McCarthy was born and raised in Evansville?

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: The Goblin King

Well you need to make up your mind, you complain Mullins has no head coaching experience then wax poetic about several people with no head coaching experience.

Let's just say Mullins doesn't have much coaching experience period. I think the waxing poetic has been by people who just want to hand him the job. Sort of like people who once wanted to hand Paul Lusk the job. I'm just saying it would be irresponsible to not make a thorough coaching search. The way Nick Hill was hired really wasn't very smart  (but I haven't given up on Hill yet.)

McCarty has been an assistant at Louisville, the Pacers, the Celtics ... under two hall of fame coaches. Yes, he's from Evansville and that is irrelevant other than it made him a popular choice. He tried for several other HC jobs before this - nowhere near Evansville. Ragland was the HC at Vincennes, etc. BTW, Todd Lickliter (National coach of the year in 2007) is an assistant of McCarty's. Darn good coach. Wonder if he'd like to be a head coach again.

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Lickliter flamed out in freaking NAIA, he's done, no thank you.

And I never said you couldnt get assistants as candidates, in fact I said one of the two kinds of coaches we could get are young assistants hungry for a shot. 

Also I feel NBA experience is useless, gives you no experience in one of the two biggest aspects of college coaching: recruiting.  It is also why I wouldnt even remotely consider a high school coach.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 67

Share: