28 Reactions
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

https://sgfcitizen.org/springfield-sports/missouri-state-sports-to-join-conference-usa/

Stupid move. Inferior basketball conference and they haven't had a decent football team, what makes them think moving to FBS will suddenly make them better? MVC will have to replace them in basketball. 

ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

What a dumb move. Conference USA is a joke. No stability and geography is all over the map. Same mistake Wichita made.

Bring back the Shockers.

Saluki44, DirtyDale, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
DirtyDale
(@dirtydale)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

maybe they’ll be able to finally compete in a lesser basketball conference 

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Good luck to them, but this seems like a very stupid move. 

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

If they jump again in the next 5 years it could work out. But yes, long term I don't see a CUSA stronghold.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @quatroschallengesaluki

Good luck to them, but this seems like a very stupid move. 

It's not a stupid move, football is king and brings in revenue.  It's a bad move for the fans though.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)

Back to having no teams from Missouri in MVC, but please, hard pass on Wichita.

Hopefully, easy to replace, never cared too much for SWMS/MS. Missouri's version of Illinois State, too big for their britches.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

If they jump again in the next 5 years it could work out. But yes, long term I don't see a CUSA stronghold.

Western Kentucky is usually one of the better teams in this conference in both basketball and football. They consistently go to a very low level bowl. However, they were an FCS powerhouse prior to moving up to FBS. The Bears are basically dropping down in basketball and moving up in football. Also, dropping down in other non revenue sports, IMO. They'll have more scholarships in football and theoretically share more revenue, but how much football revenue does Conference USA really generate? The ceiling is very low for Conference USA football teams.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

We'll see how proactive Jeff Jackson and the MVC is.  This was rumored for awhile now so I don't think it's a shock.  If you're Belmont, Illinois State, Bradley, and Drake though; you might want to start exploring exit strategies.  

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Football is back to 10 teams so there's no need to overreact and add a bad team there. Find quality.

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

The additions of Murray and Belmont are looking very shrewd right now to offset this.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Shockers are not coming back...unless their conference kicks them out. The AAC has definitely tried to pivot towards FBS football, but WSU make too much money even with a smaller share to move back to the MVC.

With the way football is changing the overall landscape, basketball schools might get left behind (excluding the Big East). I'm curious how SIU is preparing for all this...I hope it's not reactionary. We obviously don't have funds to move up to FBS football...I'm curious how MSU is going to pay the $5 million fee on top of everything else. Our football program is obviously in a better position, but financially the university is behind the 8 ball.

Short term, I think the decision isn't going to benefit the Bears, but long term I think they will see the benefits.

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

The interesting part of this is the MSU supposedly has no money either.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: @salukiworld

We'll see how proactive Jeff Jackson and the MVC is.  This was rumored for awhile now so I don't think it's a shock.  If you're Belmont, Illinois State, Bradley, and Drake though; you might want to start exploring exit strategies.  

Why? Losing Missouri State is not that big of a loss. They can be replaced.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Share: