110 Posts
29 Users
143 Reactions
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

@resaluki-88 

Thank you VERY much for the inside scoop.  The problem is, I am not that high on Cade and Troy is a niece complimentary piece, but he's not high level MVC material (in MY opinion).  So, outside of XJ, they're not really missing that much, again IMO. 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88

Posted by: @insaluki

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

After attending tonight's scrimmage, it's still hard to get a read on this team.  Hornecker, Xavier, & D'Amico all have varying injuries.  Rupert was rumored to be hurt, but played.  AJ Ferguson appears to have put on muscle and his shot looks really good.  Kennard Davis and RJ McGee looked promising, as well.  Hensley will be a nice addition, if he's eligible.  Hopefully, we can get healthy and gel as a team.  Until then, we're going to struggle.   

Thank you VERY much for the update.  About what I thought.  Going to be a rough year but HOPEFUL that there are some positives for the future, IF the decent players (Davis, etc) don't leave for greener pastures.  Trying so hard NOT to get too low after what I thought was a promising offseason, but with limited info on fall signees (if any) and not promising information coming from scrimmage(s) and/or practices, it's hard not to. 

Let's see how we do when we have a full compliment of players. I was at the practice and the info I got was that D'Amico, Hornecker and X all didn't play in the first scrimmage against Loyola. X and D'Amico said they were playing this weekend against Western Kentucky even though they still weren't participating in contact drills in practice yesterday. Still neither will be 100% to start the season. Hornecker's injury appears to be longer term and could jeopardize his season. FWIW, I liked what I saw from Ferguson, Davis and McGee in the practice.

I knew D'Amico and Hornecker were out at Loyola but if Johnson also was sidelined that would at least provide somewhat of a further excuse for the shellacking (and apparent glut of turnovers). Hopefully the two projected starters are back for the WKU scrimmage and the start of the season as Southern needs all the proven commodities they can get.

Good to hear Ferguson and Davis are looking good as they can be two exciting players with their athleticism on the wings. 

Hoping to hear and see some good things about Miller and Ebube as we move along. As I've posted before, it's Ebube's third year in the program and time for him to establish himself as more than just an imposing physique. 

This post was modified 7 months ago by siudawgs

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@siudawgs 

As an outsider looking in last night I am concerned Ebube’s inside presence will be diminished by his habit of bringing the ball down in order to go up for the dunk.

Well coached teams will learn to slap the ball away while it is down. I hope we have someone who can coach that tendency out of him.

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

@85dawg 

How did he look defensively?  In the highlight clip of the practice, it seemed that Hensley was able to get around him with relative ease.  I've been saying that HE is the key to us being average or below vs us being in the top half of the valley.  

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@siudawgs Tim Leonard told me that X played a little bit in the scrimmage but it was very limited. Also said he was quite rusty, which isn’t surprising.

siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

This is where I’m happy with the first game being a D2 game, I think this team and staff badly need that game

ReplyQuote
Mjzelten
(@mjzelten)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

This is where I’m happy with the first game being a D2 game, I think this team and staff badly need that game

3... 2... 1... and, cue Spike!

“True terror is waking up one morning and discovering your high school class is running the country.” —Kurt Vonnegut

Jabman62 and SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@85dawg 

How did he look defensively?  In the highlight clip of the practice, it seemed that Hensley was able to get around him with relative ease.  I've been saying that HE is the key to us being average or below vs us being in the top half of the valley.  

They really didn't play enough scrimmage to get a great feel for Ebube's defense. He looked like he's slimmed down and in much better shape. Played a little scrimmage starting with a rebound, but did more drills. A lot of defensive drills, but not the type that gives you a great feel for folks individually.

Some take aways:

Sharp has a flat stroke from the outside, but is very quick with the ball and can distribute. 

Ferguson has a very nice outside stroke and can handle the ball well. I think he will have an inside/outside game and be great in transition. 

McGee has a really nice stroke and really nice size for a guard.

Stulic has a sweet and soft outside shot, but appears slow.

Davis has a decent, but not great outside shot, but seems to have a high bball IQ for a freshman. I think he can have a big impact right away.

Hensley is very athletic and has a surprisingly nice stroke from the outside. I really hope he is eligible, but I'm not counting on it. He told me he is still waiting to hear, but hopes to hear something soon.

Rupert appeared to be in great shape and ran the court very well. Not sure what his injury had been, but he looks ready.

Everyone looked really good during FT drills except Ebube who still looks lost at the FT line.

ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I would continue to urge caution on the Loyola result as there is still a lot of unknowns: we may be horrendous this year or we may be pretty solid, but one secret scrimmage against Loyola in which we have very limited data won't tell us either way.

- We now know that, IMO, our two returnees with the most PPG potential in X and Troy didn't play.  Add in that X was all-defensive last year and obviously is our starting PG, likely that was a huge reason for the score.

- Did Loyola play their starters most of the game?

- Did we rotate the entire bench in equally like we did against Alabama last year?

- How much time during the game did Mullins try brand new rotations or defensive schemes or plays which he wouldn't do in-season?

- How good is Loyola, really?  They may turn out to be a Top 25 team again, we just don't know.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

@85dawg 

They really didn't play enough scrimmage to get a great feel for Ebube's defense. He looked like he's slimmed down and in much better shape. Played a little scrimmage starting with a rebound, but did more drills. A lot of defensive drills, but not the type that gives you a great feel for folks individually.

Some take aways:

Sharp has a flat stroke from the outside, but is very quick with the ball and can distribute. 

Ferguson has a very nice outside stroke and can handle the ball well. I think he will have an inside/outside game and be great in transition. 

Davis has a decent, but not great outside shot, but seems to have a high bball IQ for a freshman. I think he can have a big impact right away.

Hensley is very athletic and has a surprisingly nice stroke from the outside. I really hope he is eligible, but I'm not counting on it. He told me he is still waiting to hear, but hopes to hear something soon.

Rupert appeared to be in great shape and ran the court very well. Not sure what his injury had been, but he looks ready.

Everyone looked really good during FT drills except Ebube who still looks lost at the FT line.

Re: Stulic being slow (at least relative to other D-I ballers), curious how that translates on defense, and how the coaches view that tradeoff of him being a dangerous 3-point threat but, possibly, a liability defensively.

We saw how that played out with Foster Wonders, but maybe they give Stulic a little more rope since he's a veteran? 

Some guys have really good footwork/anticipation that can make up for being a little slower, but your margin for error defensively is definitely thinner.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

@85dawg 

Some take aways:

Re: Stulic being slow (at least relative to other D-I ballers), curious how that translates on defense, and how the coaches view that tradeoff of him being a dangerous 3-point threat but, possibly, a liability defensively.

We saw how that played out with Foster Wonders, but maybe they give Stulic a little more rope since he's a veteran? 

Some guys have really good footwork/anticipation that can make up for being a little slower, but your margin for error defensively is definitely thinner.

If they played more zone at Little Rock it wouldn't have been exposed as much. Since we only play man defense it is worrisome. Maybe he was tired. We'll have to see how it plays out. I know McGee's 3 point stats weren't very impressive at Tulane, but he sure has a nice stroke. I think he and Ferguson will both be able to shoot the 3. I don't think Miller or Sharp will be big 3 point threats but they bring quickness and distribution ability to the team. I think Brown, Stulic, McGee, Ferguson and to a lesser extent Davis will all be able to score from the 3 at times.

rafflaw and usmcsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

@85dawg 

Some take aways:

If they played more zone at Little Rock it wouldn't have been exposed as much. Since we only play man defense it is worrisome. Maybe he was tired. We'll have to see how it plays out. I know McGee's 3 point stats weren't very impressive at Tulane, but he sure has a nice stroke. I think he and Ferguson will both be able to shoot the 3. I don't think Miller or Sharp will be big 3 point threats but they bring quickness and distribution ability to the team. I think Brown, Stulic, McGee, Ferguson and to a lesser extent Davis will all be able to score from the 3 at times.

Troy and Xavier also shot it pretty well from 3 last year, and probably will need to take more of them this season.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@85dawg 

Some take aways:

Troy and Xavier also shot it pretty well from 3 last year, and probably will need to take more of them this season.

Yes, X was lights out when he did shoot from distance last year. D'Amico shoots well despite the chicken wing form. X looked extremely rusty shooting in practice. Hope he has time to get in game shape and his knee continues to heal with no setbacks. We would be in big trouble without those two healthy. They will be big parts both offensively and defensively. X is no doubt our most important player.

siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

Troy is also quite slow yet he played plenty the last 2 years as he was able to defend acceptably well.  Stulic, on the other had, will be playing a different position that requires facing quick(er) guards.  Only time will tell.  

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Western Kentucky board said SIU won a close one in today's scrrimmage

INSaluki, rafflaw, ReSaluki 88 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8

Share: