DR222
(@dr222)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld
Posted by: @resaluki-88
Posted by: @siudawgs

Games like this make you wonder if Jones is better suited at the 2 guard than the point guard.  Maybe more experience will help but his shooting and decision making seem better for the 2 guard.  

It’s a legit question. I could see Banks at the point and Jones more off the ball next year, but we shall see. Still think Brown off the bench would be for the best.

Seems like the staff has recruited guys that can play the point guard next season so maybe they're seeing the same thing, if anyone knows point guards it's Bryan Mullins.  Jones is obviously a talented player but can't have as many turnovers as he has every game.  Plus his outside shot has improved a ton.

We made him a point guard out of necessity last year as a freshman. He was a 2 guard in HS. However, with Banks at PG and Jones at 2 guard we are awful small at guard, so you really have to pick your spots when going with that combo.

Definitely not talking about making the change this year, although I think Banks was playing the point a lot in the 2nd half so maybe they're making it.  But if there's a grad transfer PG out there that can start, it could be an interesting decision.

New JUCO PG offer has appeared on Verbal Commits.  The offer is dated 2/24/21. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/terry-roberts

https://www.fswbucs.com/sports/mbkb/2020-21/bios/roberts_terry_13lj

PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

Next year's Freshman Class:

Scotty Ebube 6'10" C

Kyler Filewich 6'9" C

Troy D'Amico 6'7" F

Foster Wonders 6'5" 2G

Dalton Banks 6'1" PG

Eric Butler 6'1" PG (if he's still here)

Next Year's Sophomore Class:

Marcus Domask 6'6" F

Lance Jones 6'1" PG

Ben Harvey 6'4" 2G

Trent Brown 6'1" 2G

Steven Verplancken 6'4" 2G

Just thought I'd give us something to smile about.  Yeah, this year is rough.  Next year will be better.  We are building a program here.

Not to nitpick, but I thought Ebube is 6-8? I hope he is 6-10!

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@dawgbytes  The announcers have been listing him at 6'10" this year.  Several of us were surprised by it.  He looks like he's grown!  Check out some of the game film on the Recruiting Thread.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Rockin' Dawg

usmcsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88
Posted by: @siudawgs

Games like this make you wonder if Jones is better suited at the 2 guard than the point guard.  Maybe more experience will help but his shooting and decision making seem better for the 2 guard.  

It’s a legit question. I could see Banks at the point and Jones more off the ball next year, but we shall see. Still think Brown off the bench would be for the best.

Seems like the staff has recruited guys that can play the point guard next season so maybe they're seeing the same thing, if anyone knows point guards it's Bryan Mullins.  Jones is obviously a talented player but can't have as many turnovers as he has every game.  Plus his outside shot has improved a ton.

We made him a point guard out of necessity last year as a freshman. He was a 2 guard in HS. However, with Banks at PG and Jones at 2 guard we are awful small at guard, so you really have to pick your spots when going with that combo.

I think Jones actually played PF or C on a very undersized high school team actually.  I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that.

ReplyQuote
 SIUG
(@siug)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@kyle_saluki_17 Lance Jones played on a high school team with interchangeable parts and similar sizes. They were a "positionless" group of excellent athletes. Lance played all over the floor.

ReplyQuote
AtlantaSaluki
(@atlantasaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Lance commented on that in one of the half time features they do.  He said he had been much more used to playing and defending the 3 and 4 in high school and playing in those positions.  That was what making a change to point was so much different that what he was used to.  

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukifan32

Loyola 60

SIU 52

Verplancken the leading scorer with 17 and also the leading rebounder with 8.  

Verplancken having this kind of game against Loyola should remove any doubt about him being worthy of a roster spot as some were doubting earlier this season

He definitely has good basketball instincts and IQ and his defense has been pretty good. He's also a very hard worker. In my opinion, He's making Ben Harvey the odd man out in the rotation, especially with an incoming talent and (hopefully) athleticism infusion next year.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dawgbytes
Posted by: @rockin-dawg

Next year's Freshman Class:

Scotty Ebube 6'10" C

Kyler Filewich 6'9" C

Troy D'Amico 6'7" F

Foster Wonders 6'5" 2G

Dalton Banks 6'1" PG

Eric Butler 6'1" PG (if he's still here)

Next Year's Sophomore Class:

Marcus Domask 6'6" F

Lance Jones 6'1" PG

Ben Harvey 6'4" 2G

Trent Brown 6'1" 2G

Steven Verplancken 6'4" 2G

Just thought I'd give us something to smile about.  Yeah, this year is rough.  Next year will be better.  We are building a program here.

Not to nitpick, but I thought Ebube is 6-8? I hope he is 6-10!

If you watch Ebube's games this year, he towers over everyone he plays against and it's not like he's playing poor competition.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is 6'10.  Not comparing them at all as players but if you've watched Illinois the last two years, he kind of looks how Kofi Cockburn looks compared to the rest of the Big Ten.  

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7

Share: