Clear all

SIU @ Tulsa 12/11/21 1:00 PM ESPN+

163 Posts
31 Users
118 Reactions
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I'm not sure why people are so enthralled with Trent Brown.  Even if/when he comes back, he's not going to be 100% game-ready for quite some time.  He's not a difference-maker even when healthy.

I appreciate the improvements he made last year and of course wish him the best.  Not trying to be a hater.  Sure, we could use more guard depth.  I just don't get why some of you think his return is somehow key to our season.

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I'm not sure why people are so enthralled with Trent Brown.  Even if/when he comes back, he's not going to be 100% game-ready for quite some time.  He's not a difference-maker even when healthy.

I appreciate the improvements he made last year and of course wish him the best.  Not trying to be a hater.  Sure, we could use more guard depth.  I just don't get why some of you think his return is somehow key to our season.

Maybe because he is the best defensive player on the team?

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

INSaluki and Sandman95 reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @gobluesaluki
Posted by: @maroonloon

San Fran is a road trip.

I’m not seeing any TV for SF game.  If that’s true, it would be a shame.   One of the few non-conference games worth watching. 

Get a Firestick.

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

I'm mostly with you on this and do think he was given far too many minutes in his first couple years, not that there were a lot of other great options. That said, in addition to his defense, I wonder if his glue guy/steady floor game attributes might have helped a bit in preventing a couple of those blown leads (Little Rock and Creighton games). We'll never know, but certainly the more composure when adversity strikes, the better.

Anyways, at a minimum, having more backcourt depth will be welcome when/if his back cooperates.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@dawgbytes Just maybe the defense will improve with veteran who knows the rotations also the guard depth will improve those two things alone are very valuable 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Good defender and was good last year when Domask was playing at outside shooting.  Even if he's not playing full minutes, he provides depth and can give people rest instead of running only 8 guys out there.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

This: Trent is the best 1v1 defender on the team.  Getting him back on a team that's already playing really good defense would be huge; plus he can hit threes which we sorely need.

rafflaw and Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Trent's game reminds me a lot of Ben Richardson's when Loyola made their Final Four run. He was a great one-on-one defender, tough, scrappy, did a lot of dirty work and made hustle plays that fired up the team and the fans, and he could knock down an open 3.

His stats alone weren't impressive, but I guarantee you Loyola doesn't make that deep run without him, and this is coming from a guy who thinks Brown best serves SIU currently as a 6th man averaging about 20 minutes a contest.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Cowboydawg
(@cowboydawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

If we don’t see him by San Francisco, my guess is we don’t see him at all.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Agree. He plays hard, but he's not super quick. I think Jones is a better defender. Brown can help us for sure, but he's not going to make or break our season unless he becomes the great 3 pt shooter we were hoping he would be and puts up 15 ppg.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @usmcsaluki
Posted by: @dawgbytes

This: Trent is the best 1v1 defender on the team.  Getting him back on a team that's already playing really good defense would be huge; plus he can hit threes which we sorely need.

When he has to guard a really quick player, the guy just blows by him. He has had some games where he did a great job slowing down one of their scorers. I don't think this team has any great defenders like a Tony Young or Darren Brooks, but it is definitely improving on team defense. TB's had a few games where he contributed offensively, but usually doesn't do much for the offense. He doesn't shoot much. I'm hoping that great shooting we hear about shows up consistently.

ReplyQuote
Psychodawg
(@psychodawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

I think he's a strong defender for the Salukis, works hard, is smart and a more than capable shooter.  I am looking forward to seeing him back on the floor.  

WOOF!

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Steven Verplancken with Mike Reis:

https://siusalukis.com/watch/?Archive=5967&type=Archive

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Steven Verplancken with Mike Reis:

https://siusalukis.com/watch/?Archive=5967&type=Archive

That was a great interview. "I love my teammates" tells you all you need to know about the chemistry, character, and culture of this team. 

James Madison

Saluki44, Salukifan32, rafflaw and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)

Posted by: @salukiworld

People hated Heff but now there's barely any coverage of the team

how is that any different than before?

Craving a McBride Special!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 11