Clear all

Jarnigan let go?

172 Posts
41 Users
196 Reactions
(@fraydog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @dogdays

@fraydog Not sure what " donors" you are talking about. The other question is are other departments also being cut to the same degree based on alleged profitability? And lastly I completely agree all the allegations need to be investigated to their conclusion and punishment doled out appropriately. 

However, don't forget something else when it comes to funding. When enrollment is falling or stagnant cutting athletics budget drastically is like a company cutting its promotion and advertising budget when sales drop. 

Actually most departments whether academic or ancillary got hit big time. 

Trust me, I wish SIU had the student enrollment to get more significant revenue out of the student athletic fee, much like what happened in the early 2000’s. Problem is SIU doesn’t have that any more. Donors will have to fill that gap. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mr_woogers

@fraydog Not sure what " donors" you are talking about. The other question is are other departments also being cut to the same degree based on alleged profitability? And lastly I completely agree all the allegations need to be investigated to their conclusion and punishment doled out appropriately. 

However, don't forget something else when it comes to funding. When enrollment is falling or stagnant cutting athletics budget drastically is like a company cutting its promotion and advertising budget when sales drop. 

Might be true at a Big 10 school. Not sure that athletics here has much to do with enrollment.

I think a good basketball program that makes the NCAA's helps enrollment.  It certainly brings in $$$.

rafflaw, Kyle_Saluki_17, Salukifan32 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Getting some info today. 

the coaches are not as big a story as once thought. Although not good they will be likely cleared. 

now this compliance officer thing   Ugh 

Fraydog reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I said this a few years ago and I stand by it now.  The improvement in the Football and Basketball tteams can and will make a difference in bringing in some $$ as well as restoring some of teh diminishing enrollment.  Kill has done a tremendous job in turning around the Football program.  Mullins seems to have turned around the basketball program, although the record has not verified it to this point (which is why this is a HUGE year for the program).  If both teams, as well as the other successful programs (baseball, softball, etc) continue to win at get national recognition, good things will come.  

rafflaw, Barkeep 1967, Maroonloon and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I am assuming you meant Hill not Kill. 

Maroonloon, Kyle_Saluki_17, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

The compliance officer, per the NCAA story, did the right thing.  He put students' well-being ahead of his job.  He knew he would get in trouble.  He made formal loan papers so that question was covered.

It's hypocritical of the NCAA to say student-athletes must be treated the same as non-student-athletes but if the students to whom he loaned money were music students, it would have been fine.  If he bought the players cold weather coats from the approved NCAA slush fund for student-athletes extra benefits (yes, there is such a thing), it would have been fine.  Look at all the swag the Men's teams receive at March Madness. 

My guess is he was given a show-cause from NCAA because he was the compliance officer and knew he shouldn't do what he did.  Had he been a general employee in an athletics office who did the same thing, that employee probably would not have been given a show-cause penalty.

Me, I'm glad he recognized a problem for students and did the right humane thing.  I think we'd do pretty well with a compliance officer who has great ethics about other humans.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: @saluki86alum

The compliance officer, per the NCAA story, did the right thing.  He put students' well-being ahead of his job.  He knew he would get in trouble.  He made formal loan papers so that question was covered.

It's hypocritical of the NCAA to say student-athletes must be treated the same as non-student-athletes but if the students to whom he loaned money were music students, it would have been fine.  If he bought the players cold weather coats from the approved NCAA slush fund for student-athletes extra benefits (yes, there is such a thing), it would have been fine.  Look at all the swag the Men's teams receive at March Madness. 

My guess is he was given a show-cause from NCAA because he was the compliance officer and knew he shouldn't do what he did.  Had he been a general employee in an athletics office who did the same thing, that employee probably would not have been given a show-cause penalty.

Me, I'm glad he recognized a problem for students and did the right humane thing.  I think we'd do pretty well with a compliance officer who has great ethics about other humans.

So you think it's a good idea to hire a compliance officer that caused another's school's football program to get a 2 year probation.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

@saluki82 Given what the violation was and why he did it, yes, I'm ok with it.  The NCAA has two-faced rules that aren't fair to student-athletes.  He made de minimis loans to players at a school that couldn't figure out how to offer short-term loans to students, precisely in this situation.  (Most schools have such a thing.)  Yes, it was a bogus-bush league punishment given all the other violations that occur in the NCAA.  The school had no choice to fire him but he did the right thing.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Bogus or not they are the rules.

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)

Posted by: @saluki82

Bogus or not they are the rules.

Yeah, it's not like he did something legal like North Carolina setting up bogus classes where the players didn't go to class, didn't take notes, didn't have tests, etc.

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

I'm not saying the ncaa is fair by any means especially when it comes to the haves and have nots. What I am saying is he knew it was against the rules and did it anyway. If you disagree with the rules and can't follow them you need to find another profession. His actions caused his employer, fans and student athletes to pay the price and someone who did this should not have been hired at SIU. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki86alum

@saluki82 Given what the violation was and why he did it, yes, I'm ok with it.  The NCAA has two-faced rules that aren't fair to student-athletes.  He made de minimis loans to players at a school that couldn't figure out how to offer short-term loans to students, precisely in this situation.  (Most schools have such a thing.)  Yes, it was a bogus-bush league punishment given all the other violations that occur in the NCAA.  The school had no choice to fire him but he did the right thing.

Completely agree. Meanwhile the NCAA gives Roy Williams a thrashing with a wet noodle for Really cheating.

NCAA is corrupt as can be.

saluki86alum reacted
ReplyQuote
(@morris-saluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes
Posted by: @fraydog

One thing many folks may not know that needs to be public knowledge. The chancellor is trying to gut the athletic department! 3 Million cut in the budget this year. 3 million next year. Austin Lane is the problem here. He believes we should be funded at SWAC funding levels not Vallley funding levels. He is coming off as this great guy but behind the scenes, at least to this point is wanting to gut the athletic budget. Liz was fighting at every turn to try and prevent that. Now, I am not saying Liz was ever the best fit for that job. Frankly , I don't think she was, but in her defense she was trying to keep the ship afloat while Lane is trying to gut it. Ask someone in athletics off the recored .

Is revenue that big out of athletics? Look at the SIU balance sheets if you want your answer. 

The Saluki Way debt is a millstone around the neck of SIU. Basically everyone looking at the finances predicted this at the building of Saluki Way. Now people are expecting academics to shoulder the load of athletics? That’s putting the cart before the horse. 

Enrollment going down is because academics is going in the gutter. Now to be honest I was never a big supporter of Jarnigan or Lane, but ultimately even someone like Mahony who has an extensive record in college athletics, who by all means should be a supporter of intercollegiate athletics here… if he doesn’t see a way out, that means the debt load is bad. 

tl;dr we’re in trouble. 

And acedemics is going in the gutter why? Anyone want to take a stab at that 800 lb. gorilla?

Like many colleges our leading majors and those majors they push are in fields like psycology and stuff like that where there are maybe one available job for every 10 fresh grads in the field.  Focus on those areas where we can successfully create new taxpayers and things will work themselves out.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
― Ayn Rand

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Most jobs dont require field specific degrees Morris. A degree in psychology is just fine if all a job cares about is that you have a bachelor's. 

I have two cousins that work for oil companies making 6 figures and their degrees are in accounting and ag business. Neither of their jobs has to do with accounting nor agriculture in any way.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/THefferman/status/1440790583874703360

Guess you can add to the budget cuts

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 12

Share: