Clear all

Jarnigan let go?

172 Posts
41 Users
196 Reactions
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I was listening to sports voice this morning (local show on Saturdays in So Ill) and Mike Murphy suggested Greg Starrick as the new AD (currently the AD at John A Logan). I love Starrick and he’d have some of the same name recognition as Kill had as AD (maybe helps with fundraising), but don’t see that as a long term solution or something that Starrick would want to do.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967
Posted by: @beadmedaddio

I'm sorry, but I do my best to try to keep up.  Can anybody point me to SIU's official statement.  Has it been shown here?  I've looked, but I'm not able to find it.  And has anybody gotten the real story?

We have kicked every Rock we have and have nothing here. Still trying 

The gory details will ooze and trickle out eventually. It always does in a bureaucracy, along with the usual banal statements about her contributions and best wishes for the future.

Insubordination is my guess, just reading between the lines.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
(@fraydog)

I normally don’t comment on here anymore, but I wonder if a conflict over Saluki Way debt wasn’t a factor in this. 

ReplyQuote
terrier1
(@terrier1)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@siu_2011 

that's an excellent point.  I would guess AD at John A Logan is a little less time consuming.  Also I think he is 71 or 72 can't imagine he'd want to jump into this at his age.  

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I think Greg Starrick would make a wonderful SIU AD.  And we could save half a million on that National Search.  Probably not gonna happen, though.  It makes too much sense.  🤣 

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

One thing many folks may not know that needs to be public knowledge. The chancellor is trying to gut the athletic department! 3 Million cut in the budget this year. 3 million next year. Austin Lane is the problem here. He believes we should be funded at SWAC funding levels not Vallley funding levels. He is coming off as this great guy but behind the scenes, at least to this point is wanting to gut the athletic budget. Liz was fighting at every turn to try and prevent that. Now, I am not saying Liz was ever the best fit for that job. Frankly , I don't think she was, but in her defense she was trying to keep the ship afloat while Lane is trying to gut it. Ask someone in athletics off the recored .

This post was modified 3 years ago by dogdays

Dawgs98 reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

I'm not around people who know what's going on anymore but one way he could have saved money is not pay someone $400,000 to not be athletic director.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dogdays

One thing many folks may not know that needs to be public knowledge. The chancellor is trying to gut the athletic department! 3 Million cut in the budget this year. 3 million next year. Austin Lane is the problem here. He believes we should be funded at SWAC funding levels not Vallley funding levels. He is coming off as this great guy but behind the scenes, at least to this point is wanting to gut the athletic budget. Liz was fighting at every turn to try and prevent that. Now, I am not saying Liz was ever the best fit for that job. Frankly , I don't think she was, but in her defense she was trying to keep the ship afloat while Lane is trying to gut it. Ask someone in athletics off the recored .

This is a very disturbing read...that would make attracting a decent AD and retaining any coaches very difficult and I think donors and fans a like would take great issue with this.

ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

It is very possible the budget cuts wanted are coming from higher than Anthony Hall.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Jezus I hope that's not true. He will become a VERY unpopular Chancellor if that happens. We would have to leave the MVC. And it definitely could be coming from that politician in Springfield, Mahony.  After Criminal Dunn, I trust the system president as far as I can throw a dump truck load of hippos.

And I agree, LJ was the convenient fit, not the best fit.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I’m not finding anybody that knows anything about. However the people I asked are all pretty connected to SIU. If they really want to cut 3 million none of them will be donating any more. This is very very bad if true 

ReplyQuote
(@morris-saluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@barkeep-1967 Seems like more lower hanging fruit than athletics if looking for 3 million to cut.  The SJW stuff has to be costing us 10s of millions.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
― Ayn Rand

ReplyQuote
Booby's
(@boobys)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @fraydog

I normally don’t comment on here anymore, but I wonder if a conflict over Saluki Way debt wasn’t a factor in this. 

more like kill spending like a drunken sailor and the bill came due. 

remember when he paid the basketball coach who very publicly resigned an extra $400,000?

I do.

shouldn't be a shock. no revenue for a year and out of control spending. 

cuts are everywhere friends.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Booby's

Craving a McBride Special!

saluki86alum and Fraydog reacted
ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

Cutting from the Athletics budget would be inconsistent with Lane’s statements made previously.  I have no knowledge of the current situation. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesouthern.com/siuc-chancellor-candidate-austin-lane-says-he-will-create-a-shared-vision-grow-enrollment/article_2191b65d-95c7-5bf7-8826-5a958dcf8b41.amp.html

Lane, whose son is a wide receiver on the Texas A&M football team, also said he would emphasize athletics as a recruitment tool. He referenced Saluki men’s basketball coach Bryan Mullins' 2007 run in the NCAA Tournament, and said winning streaks like that come with positive exposure. “That’s what we want. We want to be winners. We want to win championships,” he said. “That helps with enrollment. That helps with our profile of the university.”

Cutting the budget may not be a choice he wants to make.  No revenue last year, low enrollment, and already high debt may force his hand.  

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by PackerDawg

ReplyQuote
(@fraydog)

Is revenue that big out of athletics? Look at the SIU balance sheets if you want your answer. 

The Saluki Way debt is a millstone around the neck of SIU. Basically everyone looking at the finances predicted this at the building of Saluki Way. Now people are expecting academics to shoulder the load of athletics? That’s putting the cart before the horse. 

Enrollment going down is because academics is going in the gutter. Now to be honest I was never a big supporter of Jarnigan or Lane, but ultimately even someone like Mahony who has an extensive record in college athletics, who by all means should be a supporter of intercollegiate athletics here… if he doesn’t see a way out, that means the debt load is bad. 

tl;dr we’re in trouble. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 12

Share: