Jarnigan let go?

172 Posts
41 Users
196 Reactions
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @morris-saluki

@barkeep-1967 Seems like more lower hanging fruit than athletics if looking for 3 million to cut.  The SJW stuff has to be costing us 10s of millions.

Let me just insert the hardest eye roll ever. Woof, dude. Give it a rest. 

Bow Em

Fraydog, Austinsaluki, siudawgs and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

The Daily Egyptian has a story on abuse allegations involving the swimming and diving team: https://dailyegyptian.com/109422/uncategorized/athletic-director-liz-jarnigan-fired-amid-alleged-abuse-cover-up-on-womens/

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Looks like the layers of this onion are just beginning to be pulled back.  And where is Heffellump?  School kids in the DE are out reporting him.  

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

Wow I wonder why the swim coach has not yet been put on leave, unless I have missed something.  Great work by the DE (as usual) getting the story out there. 

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

This keeps getting worse. The fact that the coach hasn’t been put on administrative leave while the investigation happens is insane.

Who knows what’s going on with the soccer coach…things need to get cleaned up in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @packerdawg

Wow I wonder why the swim coach has not yet been put on leave, unless I have missed something.  Great work by the DE (as usual) getting the story out there. 

Yes, that is one question that needs an answer.

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Hey folks don't be distracted by this . If Liz is guilty of these charges then she should be gone. But Lane was gutting the budget under her tenure. 3 Mil this year, 3 next. Ask the staff , they know. Now, maybe it was his way of putting pressure on her because he wanted her gone. He appears to be talking out of both sides of his mouth. Regardless, SIU athletics cannot survive 6 million down and compete at  MVC levels.

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @dogdays

One thing many folks may not know that needs to be public knowledge. The chancellor is trying to gut the athletic department! 3 Million cut in the budget this year. 3 million next year. Austin Lane is the problem here. He believes we should be funded at SWAC funding levels not Vallley funding levels. He is coming off as this great guy but behind the scenes, at least to this point is wanting to gut the athletic budget. Liz was fighting at every turn to try and prevent that. Now, I am not saying Liz was ever the best fit for that job. Frankly , I don't think she was, but in her defense she was trying to keep the ship afloat while Lane is trying to gut it. Ask someone in athletics off the recored .

I cannot confirm anything about the news regarding coaches, but as a former employee, I can confirm this. Austin Lane and Liz did not get along and he continued to cut the budget for athletics and not let them replace any staff that left. The current staff is drowning. They need help and he won't let them hire. He is a big problem for athletics right now. 

I don't ever comment on here, but I thought that needed to be confirmed. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by 14_alumdawg

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

@dogdays "Don't be distracted by this." 

Really? that's your starting sentence upon news that a coach is sexually harassing swimmers (plural)?

Or perhaps your spellcheck overrode and incorrectly fixed your first sentence which read "Holy #$^%@.  That is awful news about the swimming program."

geessh.

Fraydog and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@saluki86alum 

Not downplaying the sexual harassment at all. But....this goes way deeper than what appears on the surface and it is related. I am absolutely in agreement that if these charges are true Liz should be gone as should the swimming coach and there needs to be complete transparency. Plus my comment was follow up to an earlier comment regarding the budget.  Her guilt in this matter has yet to be determined. And yes it is a terrible day for SIU swimming , athletics , and the entire institution. Apologize for not being very artful in the original post.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by dogdays

saluki86alum reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

This is awful.

I would like to ask everybody please be adults here a no baseless accusations 

Fraydog, rafflaw, Salukifan32 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@saluki86alum 

Not downplaying the sexual harassment at all. But....this goes way deeper than what appears on the surface and it is related. I am absolutely in agreement that if these charges are true Liz should be gone as should the swimming coach and there needs to be complete transparency. Plus my comment was follow up to an earlier comment regarding the budget.  Her guilt in this matter has yet to be determined. And yes it is a terrible day for SIU swimming , athletics , and the entire institution. Apologize for not being very artful in the original post.

Any proof out there? If they cut it by $3 million, it should be easy to find in a report somewhere. 

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

I have a few questions.

1. Why is the swimming and diving coach employed still?

2. Are these COVID cuts or permanent cuts? All academic departments have received cuts and cannot replace all faculty that have left.  I am not surprised this applies to Athletics.

3. Could the appointment of the SIU Foundation CEO help fill the budget cuts with new fundraising?

Fraydog and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

The U has to investigate this, assuming Lane just found out about it. They can't just fire people without an investigation if they want to fire with cause and avoid paying out future salaries. Admin Leave is the 1st step - exactly what Evansville did to McCarty while waiting for his girlfriend's pregnancy test results. 😉 

From what people are saying, Lane and LJ did not get along and he may have been looking for a useable reason to get rid of LJ, and the fact that she allegedly/possibly did nothing about the swimming coach may be the reason he needed.

Sure seems like these minor sports are a real mess.

ReplyQuote
Wood
 Wood
(@wood)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Hey folks don't be distracted by this . If Liz is guilty of these charges then she should be gone. But Lane was gutting the budget under her tenure. 3 Mil this year, 3 next. Ask the staff , they know. Now, maybe it was his way of putting pressure on her because he wanted her gone. He appears to be talking out of both sides of his mouth. Regardless, SIU athletics cannot survive 6 million down and compete at  MVC levels.

Once Kill left, we lost the fundraiser needed that could keep allowing those big bills to be paid.  I'm hoping we bring someone in that can specialize in that aspect of the gig.  Until that happens, something has to be done to fix the upside-down athletics dept.

Fraydog reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 12

Share: