2022 Basketball Recruiting

1,197 Posts
72 Users
1584 Reactions
128.5 K Views
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

One thing I’ve noticed from watching the top mid majors this past week? 
Ball movement and lack of tentativeness. 
Guys are confident because they aren’t afraid of making mistakes.

This team, outside of the top two players, plays scared. There is no system to solve that. That’s a coaching problem and a recruitment problem.

Bow Em

Salukifan32 and carrcar reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

As always mid majors that have older players have these traits trying to build a program has growing pains 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @thunnellvision

One thing I’ve noticed from watching the top mid majors this past week? 
Ball movement and lack of tentativeness. 
Guys are confident because they aren’t afraid of making mistakes.

This team, outside of the top two players, plays scared. There is no system to solve that. That’s a coaching problem and a recruitment problem.

I don't know about the lack of tentativeness but watching basketball these past 2 weeks compared to SIU is like watching a different sport on the offensive end.  Not enough playmakers on SIU and not enough movement on offense.  SIU's offense is a lot of standing around and either Jones playing iso ball or passing to Domask in the post and having him back down a defender and either shoot or pass out.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Having to play small contributed to those players more often than not playing against taller players which made them less successful offensively which then led to them being reluctant to shoot. The inside game has to improve or the outside game won't.

Jabman62 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

https://twitter.com/mymrecruitment/status/1384947477841858560/photo/1

Keep an eye on this one. 😉 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

His stats are great.  20.8 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 6.0 APG.  I just worry about two smaller guards in the same backcourt.

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

His stats are great.  20.8 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 6.0 APG.  I just worry about two smaller guards in the same backcourt.

I don't know, feels like it's becoming more common. I think Jones can handle other teams 2-guards defensively. Certainly wouldn't pass on this kid. Those are very good numbers

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

One word of caution is that I don't think he's playing a very high level of JUCO competition (NJCAA DII). Not saying he's not a good player, but that is a factor re: his nice stats ... curious what other schools are looking at him.

Here's a recent article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-mbk-ssc-minor-st-0128-20220127-h4pvqddapngirhzqgpsp6cwwnq-story.html

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

This kid looks good. His JUCO might be D2 but his high school conference and competition is pretty solid. As far as his size, the PG for Bradley (Brown) two years ago wasn't very big but was very effective. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks, as it should be interesting. 

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@siudawgs 

Well, it's not just any Juco D2....they went 27-0 are ranked #1 in the country.

siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

@siudawgs 

That's a pretty respectable record. Looks like they play in the JUCO DII national tournament this afternoon in breathtakingly beautiful Danville, IL.

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

@siudawgs 

That's a pretty respectable record. Looks like they play in the JUCO DII national tournament this afternoon in breathtakingly beautiful Danville, IL.

Make sure to visit Kickapoo State Park while you're there !!!!  🙂  

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

How does Division 2 JUCO compare to Division 1 JUCO and Division 2/Division 3?  I didn’t even know there were different classes of JUCO.  Have other players made the successful transfer up from D2 JUCO to D1?

ReplyQuote
 Frog
(@frog)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@salukiworld I had no clue either.

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I watched Demarco Minor in person this year at the JUCO I do PA at. Pretty sure I said his name more times then anyone else that night. Kid is a stud and is like the little gnat that keeps coming back on defense. Not sure how his talents will translate at the D1 Mid-major level through. My Juco team went up 23 points against them in the first half only to lose by 30? Yes, it was that big of a swing because of Minor and another kid that played suffocating press defense to the point where my team couldn't inbound the ball. My JUCO is also not very good either. Usually a bunch of mid level NAIA players or local kids that want to keep playing. We actually had one of Troy's High school buddies on the team this year.

If I was Mullins, I would take the flyer.

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

ReplyQuote
Page 35 / 80

Share: