1,197 Posts
72 Users
1584 Reactions
128.5 K Views
(@usmcsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17
Posted by: @siu_2011

Newton is a solid get and should be good off the bench...not the big impact guy I was hoping for, but we still have one more scholarship (at least). TJ McFlys seems to indicate we will have a big time transfer soon (no idea how connected he is with the program), so I'm hopeful there is stretch 4 on the way with some scoring punch!

Yea I’m trying to decide if he’s actually connected and knows something or just the most positive person I’ve ever seen. Lol

haha! hopefully the former

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I hope SIU is still hunting for that impact 4, but as has already been pointed out, Mullins seems to prefer the 4 guard lineup. I'm now getting the feeling that the impact player he's hoping to find will be a grad transfer-type to anchor the 5.

It looks to me like he's loading to maximize next years ceiling with all the experience on the roster, and having to rely on Muila (not your ideal 25-30mpg 5), Ebube (oozing potential but still a R/S frosh) and Hornecker (true frosh) might not be the most ideal situation in his mind.

If this is his thinking, I'd wager it more likely our interest in Payton might not have been as high as we might've thought.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

I hope SIU is still hunting for that impact 4, but as has already been pointed out, Mullins seems to prefer the 4 guard lineup. I'm now getting the feeling that the impact player he's hoping to find will be a grad transfer-type to anchor the 5.

It looks to me like he's loading to maximize next years ceiling with all the experience on the roster, and having to rely on Muila (not your ideal 25-30mpg 5), Ebube (oozing potential but still a R/S frosh) and Hornecker (true frosh) might not be the most ideal situation in his mind.

If this is his thinking, I'd wager it more likely our interest in Payton might not have been as high as we might've thought.

Sometimes I think “we” think too much. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

Jabman62 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld

Newton scored a lot on a 6-24 Evansville team, I'd expect that scoring to decrease significantly if he's coming off the bench and playing behind Domask, Jones & hopefully another scorer we add (Verplancken was also behind Coupet in the pecking order).  Newton was forced to be the 2nd option on Evansville behind Givance.

The difference between Newton and Verplancken is Newton won't be shy when taking shots, so I think he can be an upgrade offensively for us, because we need as much scoring as possible.

He's definitely not going to play 32 mins. per game here, so he won't average 12 a game. However, he can drive it and shoot FTs, which is something you didn't see much from Verp, who often wasn't aggressive enough. Should help coming off the bench.

We still need a Rolan Roberts IMO.

Saluki44 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Newton scored a lot on a 6-24 Evansville team, I'd expect that scoring to decrease significantly if he's coming off the bench and playing behind Domask, Jones & hopefully another scorer we add (Verplancken was also behind Coupet in the pecking order).  Newton was forced to be the 2nd option on Evansville behind Givance.

The difference between Newton and Verplancken is Newton won't be shy when taking shots, so I think he can be an upgrade offensively for us, because we need as much scoring as possible.

He's definitely not going to play 32 mins. per game here, so he won't average 12 a game. However, he can drive it and shoot FTs, which is something you didn't see much from Verp, who often wasn't aggressive enough. Should help coming off the bench.

or how about another Marcus Timmons while we're wishing

Salukifan32, Mr_Woogers, INSaluki and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

Today is May 2nd, 2022. Saluki alumni, fans, and boosters are going to be smiling very soon. Exciting times ahead! 

In BM we trust. 

Peace all.

Waiting on an announcement? 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Saloukeyfan
(@saloukeyfan)

Posted by: @saluki82

Walt Frazier

rafflaw and saluki82 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @mdogs1
Posted by: @tj-mcflys

Today is May 2nd, 2022. Saluki alumni, fans, and boosters are going to be smiling very soon. Exciting times ahead! 

In BM we trust. 

Peace all.

Waiting on an announcement? 

No inside info but I don’t think anything is lined up right now.  There are still a lot of good options out there.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saloukeyfan
Posted by: @saluki82

Walt Frazier

Mike Glenn, Ashraf Amaya, Jerry Jones, Chris Carr while we're at it!! LOL

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://twitter.com/HoopScoopMedia/status/1521914995759620098
6’7 Junior that averaged 9 PPG, 3.9 RPG

#1559 player in the portal on EvanMiya out of 1,641.  -15.8 OBPR, -7.4 DBPR, -23.2 BPR projections for 2023

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@mr_woogers how about my favorite big man Joe C Merriwether

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @jabman62

@mr_woogers how about my favorite big man Joe C Merriwether

I don't know. Could we use 20pts and 13 rbs a game? and a future NBA 1st round pick? LOL

rafflaw and Psychodawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://twitter.com/Portaltalk1/status/1521946750071844868

6’10 Junior from Wichita, KS.  Averaged 8.0 PPG, 3.2 RPG.  Not a great shooter though, 39.6% but shoots a lot of 3’s (5.3 attempts per game).  Transferred over from Kansas State where it looks like he was a walk-on after coming over from JUCO.

#619 player in the portal on EvanMiya (1.1 OBPR, -2.8 DBPR, -1.7 BPR projections for 2023)

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Psychodawg
(@psychodawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@mr_woogers

nice see Joe's name on here after so many years.

WOOF!

Jabman62 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 66 / 80

Share: