2024 Basketball Recruiting

378 Posts
48 Users
428 Reactions
39.3 K Views
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I beg the question; is this Northwood Middle School in Keokuk, Iowa?

I must say, I am not impressed one bit with the players we are interested in. When will Mr. Howard start making (if ever) a significant difference? 

Absolutely frustrating.

INSaluki, BleedFknMaroon25, salukis60 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Agree on the Howard comment.  Wondering when we get to see his recruiting chops show up.  Also wondering if he’s supposed to have an impact on the offense and or specific positions.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I am hoping we see the results when the portal season opens. I have watched him during games and feel he has been a very positive supporter of the players. As to how much help he is in other areas, I cannot comment because I do not know. Looking at his background and the respect he had from those he worked for, I would think he has to be some help in other areas. 

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @freedawg

I am hoping we see the results when the portal season opens. I have watched him during games and feel he has been a very positive supporter of the players. As to how much help he is in other areas, I cannot comment because I do not know. Looking at his background and the respect he had from those he worked for, I would think he has to be some help in other areas. 

I was beyond excited at the hire but we have yet to see anything.  If likeability and peer respect mattered when it comes to winning, Mullins would have this teams in the NCAA annually.   That being said, I am still hopeful that Howard makes a difference THIS spring, because if he doesn't, things could look a lot worse around here in the coming seasons.  

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Let the portal begin

https://twitter.com/theportalreport/status/1766486141757243444?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I don't know Jerrance Howard.  But if his reputation is accurate, I think it might be a smart move for the AD/New Coach to keep him on staff.  Not only for continuity, but to see what he can actually do as a recruiter.

Fraydog reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deshane)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I don't know Jerrance Howard.  But if his reputation is accurate, I think it might be a smart move for the AD/New Coach to keep him on staff.  Not only for continuity, but to see what he can actually do as a recruiter.

This has been my thinking as well.  However, I don't know how feasible that sort of thing is.  It has always been my thinking that new coaches want their own guys and don't want leftovers from the previous staff.  Certainly worth looking into for the reasons given.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Cut bait on Howard and let the new coach bring in his staff. The guy wasn’t even coaching the past few years.

If he were such a stud recruiter, he’d be on the staff at a high-major program. 

Kid, Dawgs98 and SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@saluki44 

he was at the University of Texas and before that at Kansas for 8 years under Bill Self. Enough of a high majors for you?

MPH and Foxman24 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

@saluki44 

he was at the University of Texas and before that at Kansas for 8 years under Bill Self. Enough of a high majors for you?

I understand, but I’m not really convinced he is good head coach material. I read some things that insinuated he may not be quite as an amazing recruiter as some purport, and it’s a bit strange to me that he got out of the profession for awhile after Texas.

He’s probably fine as an assistant, but I definitely think SIU should look elsewhere for head coach. 

ReplyQuote
(@deshane)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

Posted by: @kiwiball

@saluki44 

I understand, but I’m not really convinced he is good head coach material. I read some things that insinuated he may not be quite as an amazing recruiter as some purport, and it’s a bit strange to me that he got out of the profession for awhile after Texas.

He’s probably fine as an assistant, but I definitely think SIU should look elsewhere for head coach. 

I don't think anyone in recent posts has proposed/or suggested that he might now or in the future be considered for the head coach position.  The thought was that he might provide continuity in recruiting for this year and not have to start recruiting from ground zero when the new coach is named. 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@saluki44 never said he should be considered for the HC.  I think some people on this sight don’t realise how it’s a heck of a lot easier to recruit at a Kansas, Illinois, Texas, Duke, UNC. Then it’s at the SIU’s of the world.  We talk about getting 3-4 * players. Those type of players don’t even think about coming here. We used to get people that were just under the radar. Have not blown up yet. We developed them to be fine players.  Nowadays with portal transfers and bigger schools poaching players that we developed and leave for NIL money and bigger places to play!   The landscape has changed. We just to need figure out where we can go with this new way of life 

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by KIWIBALL

ReplyQuote
salukis60
(@salukis60)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Not sure if he is still interested due to the head coaching change but here is what Anthony Gause (St. Louis native) 6'3  Milton, GA #2 ranked CG (Georgia 2024) said at a recent interview to Prephoops.com:

“Southern Illinois is closer to the St. Louis area and I’ve grown up watching them play. I’ve always felt like it would be an honor to play there. The coaches are like family and I know them all very well.”

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@salukis60 With the coaching change, this scenario has changed.  I am not sure how interested he would be any more.

i was so hopeful that with the recruitment of Davis we would return to being a major player in the St. Louis area. There is plenty of talent and past history of Darren Brooks, Tony Young and many more show it can be a rich recruiting place for Southern. The guard from UIC who caused us fits is in the portal and hails from East St. Louis. Donovan Clay was from Alton. SIU need to get more involved in this area again. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

The scenario has indeed changed but for all we know, we may have better ties to Saint Louis once the new coach and staff are hired.  Right now, we know nothing......................except I miss complaining about how long it is taking to sign recruits vs what we're all concerned about now.  

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 19 / 26

Share: