Clear all

Guards

11 Posts
10 Users
15 Reactions
(@83saluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Of all the guards on the roster - Which are point guards, which are shooting and which can do both. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Lance,Brown and Banks for sure can play the point.  I think the rest are 2/3 guards with Domask being able to play the 4 if needed 

rafflaw and 83Saluki reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Lance and Banks can probably play the 1 and 2.  Butler, Brown and Verplancken are probably strictly 2's, Brown can probably run the point if you want him to.  I think you're looking at them adding another athletic 2 graduate transfer that can start, especially if Verplancken has to sit a year.

83Saluki and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
AnnaBob
(@annabob)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@salukiworld 

Verplancken isn't going to sit.  I am very curious what we have in him.  Also curious how Banks will adjust to the college game.  I just hope we get a chance to see them.  I am not worried much about Butler.  Everything I hear is that he is a tiger defensively and a good quick all around guard. 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I thought we signed Butler as a PG?

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I thought we signed Butler as a PG?

Butler is a PG. Also, Brown ran the point at multiple times last year. I would think Jones gets about 30 minutes a game at point with the remaining 10 going to whoever is better between Banks and Butler, or a combo of the two. However, Jones can play the 2, so if we don't mind going small the frosh PG's may get more playing time if Jones spends some of his time at the 2. Sounds like they are pretty high on Banks, but I would hate to go with such a small lineup with Banks at PG and Jones at SG in the game at the same time.

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@resaluki-88

I think we'll see quite a bit of Banks and Jones on the floor at the same time. I'm still not sure Mullins thinks of Jones as a true point guard. It's also worth remembering that Bryan played on some pretty good teams with three small guards in the starting lineup.

--Insert something witty here--

rafflaw and Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

@resaluki-88

I think we'll see quite a bit of Banks and Jones on the floor at the same time. I'm still not sure Mullins thinks of Jones as a true point guard. It's also worth remembering that Bryan played on some pretty good teams with three small guards in the starting lineup.

This might well have been the case anyway, but Muila being out for the year further cements that the Salukis will run some smaller lineups out there. Jones is an interesting case because he is definitely at his most dangerous with the ball in his hands, putting pressure on the defense. Hopefully we get to see which of the newcomers are most D-I ready in the not-too-distant future. And yes, very good point about SIU managing to win a few ballgames with smaller guards Mullins, Tatum and Young sharing a starting backcourt.

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Ftr I would have loved to have kept Beane and Evan Taylor.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @spike

Ftr I would have loved to have kept Beane and Evan Taylor.

I don't think guards are going to be hard to find, especially with Mullins recruiting them.  We also just barely lost out on guys like A.J. Stanton McCray.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@salukiworld Guards are easy to find and easier to develop than finding good big men to develop how many times have we thought we have a good big and not develop or growth stunted because of injury and the way the game is changing a stretch 4 or 5 would be a better get

ReplyQuote

Share: