Clear all

2024 Saluki Softball

61 Posts
13 Users
54 Likes
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I know softball isn't quite as stressful on a pitcher as baseball and I am sure the staff keeps up on her health and you can ride a pitcher for great success but man I hope she doesn't get over worked

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki44

I’m late to the women’s softball party and just now read up on Groff.

Holy cow, she is impressive.

Will SIU be able to hold onto her after this season? Has NIL affected women’s softball yet, so that the transfer portal is a concern?

This website has an article with some estimated NIL valuations for softball and all sports.

https://www.on3.com/nil

The very top softball pitcher (Oklahoma) is valued at 176K/year I believe, others 50K on up.

Think you have to be a member to see all the valuations (for basketball at least.)

I'd be shocked if the Groffs did not receive an offer from Nebraska coming out of high school. They were outstanding and won a state championship. Maddia was player of the year in Nebraska.

Nebraska stole a very good pitcher from us back in 21, Sarah Harness. Harness was 22 - 7 as a freshman at SIU and has been solid for Nebraska, winning Big 10 pitcher of the week several times.

The Groffs are a battery team and I would guess any offers they receive would have to be for both of them. Hopefully they are happy at SIU. Not everyone wants to go to school at a big university (although Nebraska is about the size SIU was when I went here... not quite as enormous as most Big 10 schools)

Coach Sewell has signed some terrific pitchers coming in next year. Along with Groff and outstanding young players like Lis, Baker, etc., this team could be outstanding again next year.

Today is Senior Day - losing some really good seniors to graduation...Warwiuck, Jones, Hamilton, etc.

ReplyQuote
rabidsaluki
(@rabidsaluki)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Belmont up 3-0 thru 2.

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe." ~Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Salukis score 3 in the 6th and Lis homered in the 4th and Eberle shuts them down after the 2nd. Groff pitched the 7th.

SIU 4 Belmont 3

Game 3 tomorrow at Noon.

The outstanding Belmont pitcher had 15 strikeouts and still lost. This SIU team never quits!

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Do I dare say "SIU is a softball school"? Another amazing season in progress. Sure hope we can win conference. Winning the tournament in Abnormal could be quite challenging. 

GO LADY DAWGS!!!

SWEEP THE BRUINS!!!

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Maddia Groff loses a no-hitter in the 7th but one-hits BU with 14 strike outs and no walks to go to 23-2. She was really in a groove today.

Dawgs 4 Belmontians 0

Like yesterday, Jackie Lis homers off strikeout pitcher Maya Johnson.

Dawgs in first, UNI now in 2nd place. SIU has one more home game - Wed, 4/24 at 5pm.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Groff is human. Mo St comes from behind and scores 4 in the 6th and 7th on a couple of HRs to win 4 - 2. She held them to 3 hits back in March and SIU won 2 - 1. Lis went 2 - 3 with a HR. Austin was 2 - 4. SIU had a great chance to score a couple in the 6th but inning ended on a questionable putout at 3rd.

Groff is a disappointing 23 - 3!  LOL

3 game series at InSU Friday at 5.  on ESPN+

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Dawgs run rule Sycs 8 - 0. Groff pitched 3, Eberle pitched 2. Lis and freshman Katharine Johnson (all-state player from Omaha) hit HRs.

rafflaw and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Glanced at the standings/schedule.

Dawgs are just 1 game up on UNI right now, but UNI wraps up with a series against 3rd place Illinois St, while SIU travels to bottom tier Murray St. 

Schedule favors the Dawgs, but need to take care of business. I want this team to get a regular season championship. 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

SIU run rules InSU again   12 - 1.

Dawgs hit 3 HRs in the 4th. In the 5th, InSU chose to walk Jackie Lis with the bases loaded rather than pitch to her. Guess they  figured giving one run was better than giving up 4! LOL

InSU walked in several runs in the 5th. They gave up 11 walks. Intentionally walked Lis twice.

19 - 4 in the MVC now and 34 - 9 overall.

rafflaw and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Game 3 tomorrow at 11AM.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

SIU run rules InSU for the 3rd straight game! Outscored them 29 - 1 in three games. Next week 3 games at Murray St. Let's hope for a sweep.

UNI swept the Redturds, so they are still right behind us, with a 3-game series at awful Valpo (last place at 2 - 18). Not sure why they are in the MVC.

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I must say that I am truly excited for Saluki softball. Really played well this past weekend, and should finish up strong vs Murray. Not sure if winning the MVC will be enough to garner an NCAA Tournament bid. May have to win the tourney. Playing well at the most important time of year!

GO DAWGS!!!

This post was modified 4 days ago by TJ McFlys

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

I must say that I am truly excited for Saluki softball. Really played well this past weekend, and should finish up strong vs Murray. Not sure if winning the MVC will be enough to garner an NCAA Tournament bid. May have to win the tourney. Playing well at the most important time of year!

GO DAWGS!!!

If we win the MVC, we should be a lock for an at-large. 40 wins (and 3 - 1 in the Big 10).  But as we know, the mids often get screwed!

We need to sweep Murray, as UNI has three against the wimpiest team in the MVC. Not sure how the MVC title works if we tie in the loss column but have more wins than UNI. They beat us 2 of 3. They had to cancel a number of games that were never made up. With three games left starting next Friday:

SIU 20 - 4,  36 - 9   rpi 51

UNI 16 - 5, 28 - 15   rpi 65

Good chance of rain at the end of the week.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

GO DAWGS!!!

If we win the MVC, we should be a lock for an at-large. 40 wins (and 3 - 1 in the Big 10).  But as we know, the mids often get screwed!

We need to sweep Murray, as UNI has three against the wimpiest team in the MVC. Not sure how the MVC title works if we tie in the loss column but have more wins than UNI. They beat us 2 of 3. They had to cancel a number of games that were never made up. With three games left starting next Friday:

SIU 20 - 4,  36 - 9   rpi 51

UNI 16 - 5, 28 - 15   rpi 65

Good chance of rain at the end of the week.

They would go by conference winning percentage. With an RPI around 50 we wouldn't have a very good chance of an at large bid.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5

Share: