Swim Team Issues

13 Posts
10 Users
6 Reactions
(@salukipoke)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Looks like some extremely serious accusations within the swim program:

https://issuu.com/gusbode/docs/09152021?fbclid=IwAR0d2h0XcKf3d3R0FMRPkWUjc0mmfD_G0pqpFG8-xm1_xR8WPs8bR84v3qs

IF true, coach Hanson's career is officially over.  As a USA Swimming certified swim coach myself, I know they'll take this EXTREMELY serious!  Wasn't the S&D program already on probation due to dive coaching issues?  

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

rafflaw and salukipoke reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

This guy was successful at D2 Colorado Mesa and many other schools. Has 20 years of coaching experience. An investigation is certainly warranted before convicting the guy.

Hard to believe LJ would just ignore serious issues. Perhaps she did some investigating and decided it was hogwash.

ReplyQuote
(@jvaltos)

Well, if she did investigate, then how did the swim team members not know about the findings.  Even if it was just a coach pushing athletes to train harder, etc, the lack of transparency with an issue this serious is unacceptable.

Glad Lane took action honestly.

ReplyQuote
(@saluki86alum)
Davies Gym Poster

The story says the allegations were turned over to the Equity and Compliance Office, which is standard protocol and State Law.  They are tasked with any investigations of sexual harassment.

ReplyQuote
Warno
(@warno)
Saluki Stadium Poster

If the allegations were this serious then it seems backwards to fire the AD first and not take action against the coach also.  My niece was one of the swim team captains for '19-'20 so swam for both coaches Walker and Hanson in her time there.  She still has friends on the team of course and from what she has said, some of the athletes involved in bringing the allegations are essentially disgruntled under achievers...going from being the best swimmer at their high school to a team that now has a lot of them and not being treated with the honored status they probably held in HS.  Demands are placed on them at this level that weren't previously.  Some were asked to leave the team, some left voluntarily.  In my niece's experience, Jarnigan was always out in front on investigating things of this nature and probably didn't pursue it because she thought the case had no merit after talking to the swimmers. I hope what my niece says proves to be true but it seems like the Administration is in c-y-a mode by firing Jarnigan instead of suspending prior to completion of the investigation. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Warno

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @warno

If the allegations were this serious then it seems backwards to fire the AD first and not take action against the coach also.  My niece was one of the swim team captains for '19-'20 so swam for both coaches Walker and Hanson.  She still has friends on the team of course and from what she has said, some of the athletes involved in bringing the allegations are essentially disgruntled under achievers...going from being the best swimmer at their high school to a team that now has a lot of them and not being treated with the honored status they probably held in HS.  Demands are placed on them at this level that weren't previously.  Some were asked to leave the team, some left voluntarily.  In my niece's experience, Jarnigan was always out in front on investigating things of this nature and probably didn't pursue it because she thought the case had no merit after talking to the swimmers. I hope what my niece says proves to be true but it seems like the Administration is in c-y-a mode by firing Jarnigan instead of suspending prior to completion of the investigation. 

Jernigan hired a compliance officer who had a show cause. She was in way over her head. End of story 

beadmedaddio reacted
ReplyQuote
Warno
(@warno)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

Jernigan hired a compliance officer who had a show cause. She was in way over her head. End of story 

But then why not suspend/fire Hanson too?   It just seems backward.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I have no clue. I made an attempt to reach out to the university and received no reply. We are working with everything we got here .

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

If the allegations were this serious then it seems backwards to fire the AD first and not take action against the coach also.  My niece was one of the swim team captains for '19-'20 so swam for both coaches Walker and Hanson in her time there.  She still has friends on the team of course and from what she has said, some of the athletes involved in bringing the allegations are essentially disgruntled under achievers...going from being the best swimmer at their high school to a team that now has a lot of them and not being treated with the honored status they probably held in HS.  Demands are placed on them at this level that weren't previously.  Some were asked to leave the team, some left voluntarily.  In my niece's experience, Jarnigan was always out in front on investigating things of this nature and probably didn't pursue it because she thought the case had no merit after talking to the swimmers. I hope what my niece says proves to be true but it seems like the Administration is in c-y-a mode by firing Jarnigan instead of suspending prior to completion of the investigation. 

I can believe this. I have heard nothing but good things about Hanson from the swimmers. Not a single complaint.

ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

According to the DE we are to believe that the Chancellor read an email from a couple of former swim team members and then turned around two days later and fired the AD because she didn't inform him of these serious allegations ? I certainly don't believe this is the reason for Jarnigan's dismissal, especially since there is no way due process was done to verify these allegations.  What is probably much more likely is that she and the Chancellor didn't see eye to eye on many things and she was terminated for a combination of things. I am sure the University is looking for a reason to not pay her the remaining amount on her contract.  Again all of this just has a bad look for SIU.

ReplyQuote
(@salukipoke)
Topic starter  

@14_alumdawg   Similarly, my son swam for Coach Hanson at Colorado Mesa.  He said he could believe the over practicing thing (said it more in jest), but was surprised by the other allegations.  

ReplyQuote
GoBlueSaluki
(@gobluesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

coach cleared of any wrong-doing by SIU today after an investigation was completed. 

released a statement today

this sure as hell has been a weird fall season at SIU 

rafflaw and Barkeep 1967 reacted
ReplyQuote

Share: