FCS Playoffs: SIU @ #4 Idaho 12/2/23 9:00 PM ESPN2

216 Posts
29 Users
85 Reactions
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Huge rebuilding year next year.  

Great season. That Defense was awesome all year.  

ReplyQuote
(@salukindc)
Dawg Pound Poster

Thanks for the memories and a great season. 

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

It's been fun thanks to the Seniors hope they travel home safely and on time

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

seeding committee did a pretty good job..7 of 8 top seeds live to play on. Only upset is NDSU beating Montana St.  MVFC with 3 teams remaining. 

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

So disappointing to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory like that.  We dominated that game.  Also hate to see Nic go out on the worst pass of his career.  Idaho's kicker is a feel-good story.  So, congrats to him.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Hope this is building block for further success and doesn't lead to a step back like last season

Class of 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wk-saluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Too many mistakes tonight… and not just on special teams.  We were the better team for sure.  Tough one to lose.  

Enjoyed watching this Saluki team all year and thanks to this great Senior class.  

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jabman62

Hope this is building block for further success and doesn't lead to a step back like last season

They lose Baker, Elliott, Cox, and a bunch of good defensive players.  Hard to not think there's going to be a major step back unless some serious work is done via the portal.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SIU_Football/status/1731205373082898733

ReplyQuote
(@siu-grad-87)

Posted by: @oberkfell

3 hours 13 minutes and 42 seconds, I could of been sleeping.

I fell asleep at halftime, had a weird dream that basketball beat SLU by 40, and literally woke back up to the Idaho coach doing the postgame interview on ESPN2. 

what a day.  

Supporter of the Fab 4: Scottie Ebube, Foster Wonders, AJ Ferguson & Cade Hornecker.

They’re the ones that can get us where we haven’t been in 15 years.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Feel really bad for this team. Like others have said, special teams have been a struggle all year and it came back to bite you in the biggest game of the year. We were absolutely the better team all game on both sides of the ball. Had some really tough drops that killed drives (from your best guys). I thought Baker played really well up until that last throw. He made the right read and if he puts it on him that was probably 6 or worst case first and goal.

Overall a really solid season…but feel like we should have gone further. Thank you seniors for laying it out there all year.

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)

I think we are in a situation where the Nick Hill and his staff have gained enough street cred to quite well in the portal, especially at the skilled positions where you can truthly state possibility of significant playing time. It will be interesting to see if they go hard after quarterbacks. Obviously, a big time threat from a kicker would fill a huge hole. At any rate, kudos to the team. One of the best in Saluki football history.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I'm still sick about that loss, because I thought we outplayed them except for a few mistakes.  Offensive line played one of their better games and Nic Baker was awesome escaping that pressure. Defense was excellent. Also thought the play calling was better than most of our games. Our guys played their tails off, and I'm sure they're very disappointed.

We lose a lot of good players, so the coaches will be hitting the recruiting trail I'm sure. Have to replace Baker and Cox and need a big-time FG kicker.

Very good season overall. Winning record and 2nd round of the playoffs. Defense was one of our best in years. Our new DC did a great job, and we have a lot of talent on that D.

Here's hoping next year is even better. Season opens at BYU on 8/31.

Go Dawgs!

Kyle_Saluki_17, Austinsaluki, rafflaw and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

An absolutely sickening loss where I felt that we were the better team on both sides of the ball during this game. And just the more talented team - both individually and collectively - overall. 

I’ve been attending powerhouse Du Quoin (playoff) football games and seasons for 20+ years. I know all about driving four hours to Wilmington to get your ass handed and and I also know about losing State Championship games by a touchdown. In all of that, this much is true: it’s much lighter to take when you can see that you have the lesser team and you just get beat by a superior opponent. But games like these are just tough to swallow. 

A great season and the boys made us proud and spiked a bit of life into an otherwise dreary autumn in the southern Illinois region. 

I felt like I was going to puke last night trying to go to sleep and the feeling hasn’t subsided today. I suppose getting to rant and vent this morning with a few others who watched the game helped just a little. 

Many casual sports fans often forget that the offseason, the study halls, the team meetings, the weight lifting, the conditioning - it’s all of those things that exhume such time and energy and thus require fierce commitment and dedication from the players (and coaches and staff). And I suppose that’s why this really sucks. 

But we got that Dawg in us. We’ll be back. 🐾 

rafflaw, Salukifan32, Class of 69 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)

Well said.

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 15

Share: