Clear all

2024 Transfer Portal

1,549 Posts
90 Users
1741 Reactions
55.7 K Views
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@insaluki we have a ton of work to do. We have 4 players left, 2 with little to no playing time. Another 1 that played early but did not see the floor the last half of the season. another sporadically. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2-3 enter the portal in the next few days. 
That would leave 1-2 players left. The next coach will have a massive rebuilding job replacing a roster to compete in the future.

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @cosmos

Not that it matters but of course I wonder who was planning on transferring regardless of the change. 

The one guy I figured was likely to leave with no coaching change was Ebube because of sporadic playing time. Hard to say with the others. Several openings thanks to the portal at UIC, too, so if Mullins gets that job it'll be interesting to see who follows him. 

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Pretty sure there will be lots of coaches out there who will be able to find more than 12 minutes per game for a 6' 10", 260 lb. guy. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

Rockin' Dawg and SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I’m most sad about ebube. Dude was a beast. Hopefully whoever we hire has a basic sense of how to use big men

ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Wow. Have been driving all day and just now getting caught up. I was hopeful at least 1-2 of those guys would stay and serve as cornerstones to build around. This is a slaughter. 

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

@insaluki we have a ton of work to do. We have 4 players left, 2 with little to no playing time. Another 1 that played early but did not see the floor the last half of the season. another sporadically. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2-3 enter the portal in the next few days. 
That would leave 1-2 players left. The next coach will have a massive rebuilding job replacing a roster to compete in the future.

Yes, there is a TON of work to be done.  Just like in Mullins first year.  If, however, we hire an EXISTING head coach, it is possible (if not likely) that he will bring some of his players and we will have a jump start that we did not have in Mullins first year.

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@insaluki That’s why this hire wil define our AD. BECAUSE if it’s a failure, he is out the door.  Cannot afford a drop in season ticket sales. The main issue is we need more NIL MONEY

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I knew this shit was coming and it still sucks hard…

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)

The transfer portal was meant to allow the BIG MONEY Conference to legally poach talent from the mid-majors, but it blew up in their face because their good players are transferring too.  Bottom line the transfer portal is ruining college basketball.  

MPH, Austinsaluki, Saloukeyfan and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Just because they're in the portal doesn't mean they're gone for good 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@salukifan32 

I would say 90 % chance they are gone. 
coaches build relationships with players. They don’t want to wait around to see who the next coach is. Thry can’t wait till what new system they are going to get from the next coach. Will they fit in.  It’s a given the new coach will start with 1-2 players MAYBE 

ReplyQuote
(@kingtut)
Davies Gym Poster

How does it even work for those guys who've been at 3-5 different colleges? Is it even possible to get a degree? I kind of assumed each time you lose a lot of credit due to classes not transferring.

Some of those guys in the WAC championship have been at five schools, two jucos and three four-year schools.

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Very curious to see what level everyone ends up at 

MPH reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Also keep in mind a handful of these guys may have tested the portal regardless. New coach will get his guys. Hard to be patient I know but it's a process. Easier now than ever to rebuild quick

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@salukifan32 

easier said then done. NIL money and SIU is far behind in that regard 

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 104

Share: