90 Users
1792 Reactions
57.3 K Views
DirtyDale
(@dirtydale)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @dirtydale

Josh Schertz is definitely a wonderful coach. But marketing yourself along with your current players (and bringing them to your new school) is certainly not the intent of NIL and the portal. They’ve let this run loose. 

Disagree.  Coach left, players that originally committed to that coach are extremely loyal to that coach and decide to follow him.  I don’t see this being an NIL/portal problem. 

Swope and Conwell will each be at their 3rd school in 3 years. Part of the reason Schertz was even more enticing for these schools is the portal/transfer rules basically making these guys able to move freely and play right away. Schertz parlayed his players and himself as leverage. I don’t remember seeing this to this extent before the portal. 

(of course they might not all come along to SLU. But if I was a betting man….3-4 for sure)

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by DirtyDale

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://twitter.com/montgomeryzek/status/1777810201288052744?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Zek Montgomery back to Bradley.  The Braves are about to be a monster this season

DirtyDale reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Josh Schertz is definitely a wonderful coach. But marketing yourself along with your current players (and bringing them to your new school) is certainly not the intent of NIL and the portal. They’ve let this run loose. 

Disagree.  Coach left, players that originally committed to that coach are extremely loyal to that coach and decide to follow him.  I don’t see this being an NIL/portal problem.

players following coaches has already been happening that is the reason for quick turnarounds 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

https://twitter.com/montgomeryzek/status/1777810201288052744?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Zek Montgomery back to Bradley.  The Braves are about to be a monster this season

In the valley, yes.  

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @jabman62

players following coaches has already been happening that is the reason for quick turnarounds 

Except for us. We hired the 1 guy in this business that didn’t want to bother his former team. 

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
(@salukifan129)
Dawg Pound Poster

I heard from someone very close to the team that Jovan Stulic wanted $40,000 in NIL money before he announced he was entering the portal and Nagy expects 4-5 players to return.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Feliz Avila as far as the MVC is concerned.

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/indiana-state-cult-hero-robbie-avila-enters-transfer-portal-190303113.html

interesting - maybe because he has already decided on SLU NIL money?  "According to ESPN, Avila has been listed in the transfer portal with a designation for teams to not contact him."

Even if this NIL/Portal madness did not exists, a ton of schools would be trying to sign Schertz. What he did in a few years is pretty amazing. Excellent coach.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Except for us. We hired the 1 guy in this business that didn’t want to bother his former team. 

The skeptic in me wonders how many guys would have come even if Nagy had been more proactive. The guy they promoted is younger/seems to have very strong relationships with the players, as evidenced by how many he has been able to retain.

Only a problem if they struggle bringing in quality guys over the next month-plus.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

The skeptic in me wonders how many guys would have come even if Nagy had been more proactive. The guy they promoted is younger/seems to have very strong relationships with the players, as evidenced by how many he has been able to retain.

Only a problem if they struggle bringing in quality guys over the next month-plus.

Hopefully he wasn't conducting Bible classes in the locker room like Dabo!

Hope I'm completely wrong, but I just don't have fuzzy wuzzy feelings about this hire.

ReplyQuote
DirtyDale
(@dirtydale)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Hopefully he wasn't conducting Bible classes in the locker room like Dabo!

Hope I'm completely wrong, but I just don't have fuzzy wuzzy feelings about this hire.

luckily we’re only tied to a 6 year/$3.6 million contract. Ain’t no thang for a rich school like us if it doesn’t work out. 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

lets play devil's advocate here. we preach paitence here and give him the benefit of the doubt. now if this was a wrong hire? what can be done about it.6 years,3.6 million. his old school was getting a new AD so was he thinking i have maybe 2 to 3 years. or do I take this offer at SIU. not infering anything, but its food for thought. we will see in about a month if things change with the portal (i believe he stated he was not a big believer in it) correct my statement if i am wrong about the portal statement about Nagy. will see if he is the coach we hired in what he will do with portal and retaining players and recruiting. time will tell.

ReplyQuote
terrier1
(@terrier1)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@kiwiball correctly you would imply,  not infer.  We would then infer on what you implied.

Salukifan32 and INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @terrier1

@kiwiball correctly you would imply,  not infer.  We would then infer on what you implied.

thanks for the grammatical  correction . 

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Unsure if Nagy is aware he is allowed to start working now... We haven't done a single thing except retain a coach already on staff and that seems like it was a requirement for anyone who accepted the job...  Meanwhile Bradley getting everyone back, Murray retaining players, making money and in on high impact guys... Ugh.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Unsure if Nagy is aware he is allowed to start working now... We haven't done a single thing except retain a coach already on staff and that seems like it was a requirement for anyone who accepted the job...  Meanwhile Bradley getting everyone back, Murray retaining players, making money and in on high impact guys... Ugh.

We already went through the issue of no one having actual reliable sources on here. So we really have no clue what he is actually doing behind the scenes or if he’s working 

ReplyQuote
Page 37 / 106

Share: