(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @jabman62

Posted by: @insaluki

Posted by: @boobys

Posted by: @nickevansstan

Avila is so damn good

why did we back off recruiting him?

Not verified but many have said that the staff actually CHOSE Cade over him.  If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about their ability to recruit, then nothing does.  Cade is a GREAT kid, but even when 100% healthy will almost assuredly not be nearly as good as Avila 

do you have a crystal ball he could be better 

Cade was a much higher rated recruit. We were recruiting both players, but when Cade committed I'm pretty sure we pulled the offer to Avila. Cade was 3* with high major offers including Kansas State. Hindsight is 20/20 but it appeared at the time that we got the better player. Also, Cade is 7', so there's that...

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I love the bipolar people on this board we go from sucking no one can play or do anything then the players and staff can do know wrong and I guess the few of us who continue to be positive finally got rewarded with our faith in this team and coaches. One thing I find extremely positive is when I listen to the post game  interviews of the players from game 1 until now is they all repeat the same message as their coach which says to me this team believes in each other the staff and have really bought in to the process for good or bad

ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Full game:

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

That was the Kennard Davis a lot of us have thought he could be. If he played like that more often, he’d be in the mix for all the all-freshman honors. Hopefully he can sustain that play these last couple weeks and have the arrow pointing up going into next season.

Dawgs98, Rockin' Dawg, Kyle_Saluki_17 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Just a crazy question if games break right and Southern keeps momentum can we catch Bradley for third 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Just a crazy question if games break right and Southern keeps momentum can we catch Bradley for third 

If they run the table (including winning at BU), it’s possible. A large if, obviously.

ReplyQuote
(@sandman95)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Just rewatched the game.  Mullins went with some different line ups that were very effective.  Playing AJ at the 2 and KD at the 3.  Later he played Troy, Hensley and Ebube at the same time which was again effective.  It was nice to see some different line ups that really worked well.

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@jabman62 

I don't know what board you're talking about, but on this one I haven't seen a single poster whom this describes: "we go from sucking no one can play or do anything then the players and staff can do know wrong." 

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

That was the Kennard Davis a lot of us have thought he could be. If he played like that more often, he’d be in the mix for all the all-freshman honors. Hopefully he can sustain that play these last couple weeks and have the arrow pointing up going into next season.

His defense has been great all year, especially for a true freshman. Good to see his offense catching up. His arrow is definitely pointing up. All MVC talent for the future.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I'd be very excited to see Ferguson and Davis start at the 2 and 3 next year. Mullins has shown more of a willingness to play them together lately. They are both athletic enough to guard positions 2-4. A starting lineup below would look good in my opinion:

Elite PG transfer

Ferguson

Davis

D'Amico (Hensley off bench)

Rupert (Ebube off bench) 

We get the above 6 core players back and 3 good transfer guards and we could be in very good shape next year. Have to get a stud PG transfer and a good SG transfer.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Great game and atmosphere last night. Congrats to coaches, team and crowd. And especially, kudos to the Dawg Pound!

Have to say, whoever is managing the scoreboard screen is doing a great job lately. Keep it up.

Bob Odenkirks "Saluki Ultimatum," as I call it, really fired the crowd up, along with the other great clips. Nice to jump around to Zombie Nation too. Keep it going.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I love the bipolar people on this board we go from sucking no one can play or do anything then the players and staff can do know wrong and I guess the few of us who continue to be positive finally got rewarded with our faith in this team and coaches. One thing I find extremely positive is when I listen to the post game  interviews of the players from game 1 until now is they all repeat the same message as their coach which says to me this team believes in each other the staff and have really bought in to the process for good or bad

And then we have the bluebird eaters on a valium drip who refuse to be realistic.

We certainly have sucked a lot. Blown huge leads, couldn't get the ball inbounds, played so so defense, couldn't throw it in the ocean, stagnant offense, etc. And we weren't very good for most of the 1st half last night, as Avila ate us up.

Last few minutes of the 1st and 2nd half last night was the best ball we have played all year. Played with great desire and great D against an Indiana State team that certainly did not play their best and was missing their leading rebounder and 12.7ppg, starter Jayson Kent. They also shot only 28% from three but average 38% from three for the year. Their leading scorer Swope was 0 - 6 from three and had only 6 points - averages 17.3.

We had 10 steals, 6 blocks, and only 7 TOs and shut Avila down for the most part in the 2nd half. That certainly wasn't much like most of our games this year. Hope it doesn't turn out to be an anomaly.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

I know Indiana St missed Kent in their lineup for sure, but this game gives me confidence that SIU can win the MVCt if they play to their potential. Bryan Mullins coached a heck of a game last night too. He schemed a very nice defensive game plan that allowed Ebube to be on the floor for almost half of the game. Its significant because SIU is 7-0 when Scottie plays 15+ minutes. They're just flat out better when he's on the floor making things happen.

Also, Ferguson and Davis at the 2/3 is a step up in class. They beautifully jammed up ISU's flow on offense with their length and athleticism. Also a breakthrough game for Kennard. This was the first time I've seen him look comfortable attacking and scoring at all 3 levels. Should be huge for his confidence down the stretch.

Overall, this has been the season of missed opportunities. How would we be feeling right now had the ball bounced a little differently against JMU, @Wichita St, @UNI, @Drake, and if they'd closed out the games they should've won; Austin Peay, Bradley, Missouri St? We'd be looking at a Saluki team competing for an MVC title with something like a 22-5(12-4) record, give or take a game or two.

If SIU continues to grow and learn, Mullins on down, and finishes this season strong, there's no reason they can't legitimately compete at the Arch for a shot to go dancing. 

These are big IFs, but after last night, I'm more hopeful than I've been in a while.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

I know Indiana St missed Kent in their lineup for sure, but this game gives me confidence that SIU can win the MVCt if they play to their potential. Bryan Mullins coached a heck of a game last night too. He schemed a very nice defensive game plan that allowed Ebube to be on the floor for almost half of the game. Its significant because SIU is 7-0 when Scottie plays 15+ minutes. They're just flat out better when he's on the floor making things happen.

Also, Ferguson and Davis at the 2/3 is a step up in class. They beautifully jammed up ISU's flow on offense with their length and athleticism. Also a breakthrough game for Kennard. This was the first time I've seen him look comfortable attacking and scoring at all 3 levels. Should be huge for his confidence down the stretch.

Overall, this has been the season of missed opportunities. How would we be feeling right now had the ball bounced a little differently against JMU, @Wichita St, @UNI, @Drake, and if they'd closed out the games they should've won; Austin Peay, Bradley, Missouri St? We'd be looking at a Saluki team competing for an MVC title with something like a 22-5(12-4) record, give or take a game or two.

If SIU continues to grow and learn, Mullins on down, and finishes this season strong, there's no reason they can't legitimately compete at the Arch for a shot to go dancing. 

These are big IFs, but after last night, I'm more hopeful than I've been in a while.

every team can do this whole what if this and that… they aren’t missed opportunities. What about coming back at UIC and Murray? Under the logic here those just stay losses too.

ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)

Posted by: @sandman95

Just rewatched the game.  Mullins went with some different line ups that were very effective.  Playing AJ at the 2 and KD at the 3.  Later he played Troy, Hensley and Ebube at the same time which was again effective.  It was nice to see some different line ups that really worked well.

This is one of the biggest adjustments BM has made: going big, finally, and it really paid off.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 9

Share: