[Sticky] Banterra/Pride of Little Egypt NIL

52 Posts
23 Users
66 Reactions
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster
Topic starter  

With more excellent news forthcoming, was somewhat curious on NIL $$$.

Assuming the money coming from Banterra is also going towards women's basketball too? Certainly seems that the women's staff has been able to land some decent portal pick ups. Does this money go towards any other sports, or is it strictly sports played in the arena? i.e. Golf is a good program, and Softball is a top 25 program IMO. There is a pitcher who has had an excellent season, and I'm betting numerous P5 schools would like to have. Where will the money come from to keep her a Saluki? Also assuming the football collective is separate from Banterra, and is mostly funded by individual donations? Are there any folks who have heard naming rights to Saluki Stadium, that could in turn assist with NIL? Perhaps Pepsi located in Marion, IL could be a possibility? I certainly understand that SIU is a basketball first university, but also realize other top sports will be needing/requesting resources.    

GO DAWGS!!!

INSaluki and SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

This can be a harsh world we live in, but the reality is, the $$ should go proportionately to the sports that bring in funds.  For example, if Men's golf had a top 5 player in the country but they did not bring in any revenue, I would imagine that any NIL funds would be directed to the Men's basketball team where 3,500-5,500 fans attend each game bringing in $$$.  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by INSaluki

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
SIU Alum 05
(@siu-alum-05)
Saluki Stadium Poster

@tj-mcflys I really like the Pepsi idea 👍🏻

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@tj-mcflys It was mentioned elsewhere that the softball coach has continued to recruit pitchers for next year. That could possibly be because she realizes that keeping star players will be an issue. 

I fear this is the “way of the world” for mid-majors going forward. The big schools will continue to use mid-majors for proving grounds for players and then offer them $$$ to come to them. Each sport is going to need to set up their own NIL.

Since the NIL’s are not to be directly affiliated with the university, I wonder how this will affect the “Day of Giving” annual fund drive as well as the “Imagine” plans?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Freedawg

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

In my opinion, nearly all NIL funds here need to be basketball. It’s great to have other great programs, but basketball success can build buildings. Can’t say the same about FCS football or non revenue sports. 

Rockin' Dawg, Foxman24, Mdogs1 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@kyle_saluki_17 simply and unfortunately, Yes!

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

In my opinion, nearly all NIL funds here need to be basketball. It’s great to have other great programs, but basketball success can build buildings. Can’t say the same about FCS football or non revenue sports. 

100% agreed.  Men's basketball should be the main priority or you run the risk of never competing in the most important sport for your school.  

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Priorities are one thing but with the success of the golf team and softball you get free publicity on ESPN which helps the casual person hear of SIU and you can recruit easier because of notoriety it all works hand in hand

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

I wonder how often someone will get poached in non-revenue sports.  I know P5 schools have bigger pockets all around, but I’m not sure how much those schools are shelling out for non-revenue sports. If a pitcher loves SIU will they leave for $5k (random number)?  I’d imagine the P5 schools are all hands on deck asking their donors to fund to revenue sports, since they are in an arms race with the other P5 schools for top QB prospects, etc.  Do the filthy rich P5 donors care about their golf teams, or do they care about landing top football prospects? 

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siu-alum-05

The family who owns Marion Pepsi is not very fond of SIU. The boneheaded move to implement the Special Admiissions policy that almost killed SIU is a factor. Actions have consequences. https://thenews.org/2013/09/08/56831/

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Posted by: @siu-alum-05

The family who owns Marion Pepsi is not very fond of SIU. The boneheaded move to implement the Special Admiissions policy that almost killed SIU is a factor. Actions have consequences. https://thenews.org/2013/09/08/56831/
/p>

What about Kenny Trout? He is by far the wealthiest living SIU alumnus. He is worth billions. The Trout Wittman building is named after him and fellow SIU former student athlete Pete Wittman. My understanding is even though Trout is much wealthier than Wittman most of the money for the Trout Wittman building came from Wittman. Time to pony  up Kenny (pun intended as he owns Windstar Farms)!  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ReSaluki 88

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Topic starter  

@freedawg Thank you kindly for answering my question. Each sport coming up with their own NIL makes the most sense. I'm certain that there are many alumni who played in the non-revenue sports, who want the best for the program they played for. Perhaps individual donations from those folks works the best for baseball, softball, golf etc. I believe someone mentioned when/if these non-revenue sports are televised via ESPN it promotes a positive image of SIU, and is also free advertising for the university. A win win scenario for the university, and those particular sports IMO. 

GO DAWGS!!! 

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Topic starter  

@freedawg

Regarding your last question, I too am curious if Banterra is/was involved with the Imagine plans, and if so, how this will be impacted due to NIL agreement?  

ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@tj-mcflys Good question.i would love to see the athletic department put out a release on how SIU will organize the “Day of Giving” and “Imagine” programs with concern to the NIL.  We currently donate to five different groups/programs on the “Day of Giving.” We plan to donate monthly to the basketball NIL. We will have to do some thinking on how and how much we will donate, especially when my wife keeps mentioning my golf funds as a source of funds.

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Apparently there is a “big nil announcement” tomorrow at 6:40am on wsil 3. Leonard is supposed to be on to announce it.

Rockin' Dawg, SIU Alum 05, Freedawg and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4

Share: