Clear all

Bryan Mullins let go

304 Posts
66 Users
439 Reactions
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

If you haven't already, PLEASE listen to the Leonard interview.  I feel better about the change as a result.  A couple key points:

1. We weren't winning enough at the top (of the conference).  Salukiworld posted Mullins record vs the top of the Valley multiple  times and it was shockingly bad.

2. In speaking about Mullins he mentions the word CLASS multiple times and that he was a legend............as a player.

3. Noted that this is a business and one "has to win".

4. When discussing characteristics of the new coach, Leonard brought up someone with sustained success and who already could bring home a winner and not someone who needs to learn on the job.  And the key comment, is hiring a person that can coach with, against and BEAT the other teams in Saint Louis. 

In reviewing the last point, there were a couple items Mullins simply hadn't done to this point, which is beating the teams at the top of the valley, winning in Saint Louis and someone who is ready now and not learning on the job.  

I was surprised by, and impressed with, Leonard after the interview.  

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by INSaluki

saluki82, Rockin' Dawg, Salukifan32 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

Posted by: @siufan6

@insaluki The treatment of the seniors is a fair assessment. I hope you are right, but I fear we are going backwards vs forwards.

In a season that had its fair share of frustrations, his handling of the seniors on senior night is probably my biggest wtf gripe. Not giving all the seniors their due sendoff had nothing to do with his lack head coaching experience, his shortcomings with the whiteboard, etc. It was simply an egregious error, and I feel for those players who's careers are now over.

No question this was a major mistake by BM. For one so into "culture" I was shocked and saddened by this glaring disregard for his players. As time goes by, we will learn things that went on behind the scenes that lead to this unfortunate time in Saluki basketball. Maybe this episode, and the final three losses, were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Still processing the last 36-48 hours and not sure where I stand on anything. One thing for sure is, it's just sad. And so am I.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Not sure how that press release is going to lure in good coaching candidates or recruits. 

http://dlvr.it/T3qQ5f

Listening to Leonard say nothing but good things about Mullins and then say he didn't win the top games (which is true) had the same effect. 

When I read the article on SIUSALUKIS.com, the first thing I thought was wow that's kind of a backstabbing article to Tim Leonard.

I know people are upset about Mullins but he's not ready to be a head coach in D1 IMO. If we really want to excel, we need to improve that and I think it was the right decision. Had it been me I probably would have given him a short extension to see what Howard can do. All the outsiders sort of ripping this decision didn't have to sit through some of the bad in-game moments.

Sometimes tough decisions need to be made.

ReplyQuote
(@salukiillini)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Not sure how that press release is going to lure in good coaching candidates or recruits. 

http://dlvr.it/T3qQ5f

Listening to Leonard say nothing but good things about Mullins and then say he didn't win the top games (which is true) had the same effect. 

When I read the article on SIUSALUKIS.com, the first thing I thought was wow that's kind of a backstabbing article to Tim Leonard.

I know people are upset about Mullins but he's not ready to be a head coach in D1 IMO. If we really want to excel, we need to improve that and I think it was the right decision. Had it been me I probably would have given him a short extension to see what Howard can do. All the outsiders sort of ripping this decision didn't have to sit through some of the bad in-game moments.

Sometimes tough decisions need to be made.

hahaha. He was 86-68 and brought back to life a program that was on life support after the last two losers destroyed the culture. He was young but he is absolutely a D1 head coach. 

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@insaluki Exactly. I want to encourage everyone to listen to Leonard’s interview as well. It’s 11 minutes long, but well worth it. I re-posted the link below. 

He explains why the decision was made, and it makes all the sense in the world to me. You had to make a decision now, extend or let go, and it was clear as glass that this coaching staff did not have it. Who here, after watching the last 5 seasons, honestly thinks Mullins was going to get this program into the NCAA tournament? 

Making the tournament is the standard that this program has. Leonard said as much. People remember the 2000s. Donors especially. This isn’t Evansville or Illinois State, where you’d get a lifetime contract for consistently finishing in the top 5 of the conference. You need to win the conference and make the NCAA tournament. 

Like INSaluki, I feel good after listening to Leonard. I think he’s the man for the job. Let’s let him do his thing and see what happens. 

https://www.1035espn.com/episode/listen-tim-leonard-explains-why-siu-decided-to-part-ways-with-bryan-mullins-details-upcoming-coaching-search/

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@salukiillini 

He ABSOLUTELY brought back the culture, increased attendance and re-sparked interest in the more casual fan.  That being said, I don't think the stated overall record, 55% is great.  More importantly, his conference coaching record is only 49-45 (52%), and it gets significantly worse when looking at his record vs the top 4 teams in the league.  

I do agree that with some additional seasoning, Mullins could turn out to be an excellent, and more importantly, winning head coach.  I certainly will be rooting for him.  

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
rabidsaluki
(@rabidsaluki)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukis60

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1766486141757243444

The first of many I'm afraid.

Wow. He didn't even wait to see who the next coach was going to be?

That's my definition of the rats leaving the sinking ship!

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe." ~Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

ReplyQuote
(@d1hoops)
Dawg Pound Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

If you haven't already, PLEASE listen to the Leonard interview.  I feel better about the change as a result.  A couple key points:

1. We weren't winning enough at the top (of the conference).  Salukiworld posted Mullins record vs the top of the Valley multiple  times and it was shockingly bad.

2. In speaking about Mullins he mentions the word CLASS multiple times and that he was a legend............as a player.

3. Noted that this is a business and one "has to win".

4. When discussing characteristics of the new coach, Leonard brought up someone with sustained success and who already could bring home a winner and not someone who needs to learn on the job.  And the key comment, is hiring a person that can coach with, against and BEAT the other teams in Saint Louis. 

In reviewing the last point, there were a couple items Mullins simply hadn't done to this point, which is beating the teams at the top of the valley, winning in Saint Louis and someone who is ready now and not learning on the job.  

I was surprised by, and impressed with, Leonard after the interview.  

especially confidence building when he refers to "NLI".

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Re: Anyone commenting on players decisions to transfer or stay. I'd imagine the players most loyal to Mullins would be the first ones out the door. Trent Brown aside, I'd say Troy would be next on that list. He's a Mullins guy. No surprise here.

Bottom line is some will leave, yet others will see this as an opportunity to stay and make it their own. With or without Bryan, SIU still has prestige, a basketball rich history and tradition, and rabid fans who'll still fill Banterra Center and support these players and this team with everything they've got.

SIU and the name Salukis has just as much to offer now as it did two days ago. Count me as one who's not overly concerned by who stays or leaves in this process. SIU will be fine.

--Insert something witty here--

INSaluki, Rockin' Dawg, Saluki44 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@salukiillini)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @insaluki

@salukiillini 

He ABSOLUTELY brought back the culture, increased attendance and re-sparked interest in the more casual fan.  That being said, I don't think the stated overall record, 55% is great.  More importantly, his conference coaching record is only 49-45 (52%), and it gets significantly worse when looking at his record vs the top 4 teams in the league.  

I do agree that with some additional seasoning, Mullins could turn out to be an excellent, and more importantly, winning head coach.  I certainly will be rooting for him.  

all fair criticisms and no argument here. 

to say he’s not a D1 coach is just incorrect though. 

he had to navigate Covid and NIL changes in the game. 

we knew when he was hired there would be growing pains but they cut him after 5 years anyway. We gave Hinson (who clearly wasnt the guy from day 1) 7 years. 

just think I’d have given a bit longer leash considering. 

appleknocker, INSaluki, DirtyDale and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Nobody should be surprised by any players going into the portal. If any current players stay it should be seen as a plus. But do not expect our best players to stick around for a coach they didn’t ask for. 

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

Nobody should be surprised by any players going into the portal. If any current players stay it should be seen as a plus. But do not expect our best players to stick around for a coach they didn’t ask for. 

Absolutely should not be surprised.  If nothing else, to see how much NIL money they could make.  Our two transfers from last year made, I heard, made $400,000 and $250,000.  Plus maybe cars were thrown in too.

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

Yep. Absolutely no reason to hold anything against the players. It’s one thing for a fan to quit watching the games because of a firing. It’s another for a player, who goes through the daily grind of a college basketball schedule with a coach they didn’t choose to play for. 

INSaluki and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I really hope Scottie stays.  Under the right coach & trainer, he could be a beast in the Valley the next two years.  Of course, the rest is up to him.

BleedFknMaroon25, saluki82, Austinsaluki and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Enuf
(@enuf)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Mullins firing is just one more example of the obsession with postseason play. If SIU brings in a coach who hits it rich in the portal with several 1-year "student athletes" ,administration and fans will be deliriously happy. Hit the portal again!

There isn't much room for an old fashioned coach "building a culture". The "culture" is that college basketball is now a business,pure and simple. 

SalukiIllini reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 21

Share: