2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@johnny-utah 

I think the number of "Anti-Mullins" people are in the single digits, when you exclude trolls.  I think there is a HUGE difference between wanting to win, or a change, vs not liking Mullins. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by INSaluki

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

@johnny-utah 

I think the number of "Anti-Mullins" people are in the single digits, when you exclude trolls.  I think there is a HUGE difference between wanting to win, or a change, vs not liking Mullins. 

Fair enough.

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@dunkledog I think he will be.  I'm not really sure why all the hate in the southern Illinois area for the Smithpeters name.  His father was an amazing coach at the HS level, and Kyle did great things at JALC.  I would have to believe that he's the first choice.  Let's be honest -- we can't go out and hire someone that's going to want $1m a year.

ReplyQuote
(@appleknocker)

Posted by: @ab1132

Some names I would love: 

Steve Smiley from Northern Colorado (Think Dalton Knecht) 

Dee Brown- former Illini and coach of Roosevelt 

Chester Frazier- Former Illini, coached with Weber at Kansas St. 

Sundance Wicks- UW Greenbay 

Paul Lusk- Purdue Assistant 

Tim Miles- Former Nebraska coach

Tim Anderson- Illinois assistant from Chicago 

Geoff Alexander- Illini assitant, dad is coach of powerhouse Lincoln. Well respected family in basketball. 

I was going to suggest Geoff Alexander as well, based on the ultimate small sample size:

At the end of a game, I believe in the Kofe Cockburn era, Underwood gets thrown out with like two minutes left and the Illini down around 10 points.  Alexander takes over and it's like a different team on the floor.  He made a couple of adjustments and you could see the team relax and start playing better as they almost pulled out the win.  Partly that's an indictment of Underwood's abusive style, but I was impressed how calmly and skillfully Alexander orchestrated the come-back, especially with him being suddenly put in charge.

FIGHTINGILLINI.COM "https://fightingillini.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/geoff-alexander/1944"
Geoff Alexander - Assistant Coach - Men's Basketball Coaches - University of Illinois Athletics
Geoff Alexander was elevated to the position of assistant coach on May 21, 2021, after spending his first four seasons on the Illini staff in the role of assistant

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

I re-posted the interview with Tim Leonard in the other thread. People really need to go listen to it.

He said he has a short list of candidates assembled already. He won’t used a national search firm — yet, at least. And, he wants a proven head coach. 

It sounds to me like he has his stuff together. I’m excited to see what happens.

Just listened to it and was impressed for the most part. Hope he continues to stay away from search firms and search committees, which always seem like a formula for paralysis by analysis.

Saluki44 and INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @grimper57

@dunkledog I think he will be.  I'm not really sure why all the hate in the southern Illinois area for the Smithpeters name.  His father was an amazing coach at the HS level, and Kyle did great things at JALC.  I would have to believe that he's the first choice.  Let's be honest -- we can't go out and hire someone that's going to want $1m a year.

I don't know of any hate for the Smithpeters name. I just think a lot of people think they know what's best and anything else is going to be a disaster. I'll do like I've always done, give the new coach no matter who he is a chance and hope he's successful.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Does anyone follow the Juco game? Any sense for how success at a Juco might translate to D-1 basketball? 

Schwertz has lit it up at Indiana State, but he was proven at the D-2 level, at least. 

I worry a little about the jump all the way from the Juco ranks. 

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Some names I would love: 

Geoff Alexander- Illini assitant, dad is coach of powerhouse Lincoln. Well respected family in basketball. 

Please, not Paul Lusk.

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Does anyone follow the Juco game? Any sense for how success at a Juco might translate to D-1 basketball? 

It's very different. Constant up and down. Less tactical. Not saying that a JUCO coach can't coach D1. But the style of game, as well as recruiting, is very different. 

Jabman62 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @austinsaluki

Some names I would love: 

Please, not Paul Lusk.

Good Lord, that is a bad list. I’m going to pretend that wasn’t actually posted. 

ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)

OK with Kyle with a stipulation in his contract “no nepotism”

As I have posted at least one time per year during Mullins tenure that nepotism is rarely if ever a recipe for success.

ReplyQuote
 Frog
(@frog)

I'm going to stay away from the rumors. Yes, Leonard's interview was concise and to the point. He knows what he's looking for and wants a solution sooner rather than later. The head rolling in college basketball will continue as the other conference tournaments end. Teams that underachieved or fell flat in their conference tournament will be looking to improve and if that includes the head coach, so be it.

I'm sure Leonard will have good candidates knock on his door. Valley head coaching jobs are plumbs and there will be a good group of candidates from whom to choose.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @85dawg

As I have posted at least one time per year during Mullins tenure that nepotism is rarely if ever a recipe for success.

I think having Tyler at John A benefits SIU and Kyle if that’s the route they go.  I like Howard to stay on staff but let the new coach build his staff with no stipulations.  

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @85dawg

I think having Tyler at John A benefits SIU and Kyle if that’s the route they go.  I like Howard to stay on staff but let the new coach build his staff with no stipulations.  

Wonder how concerned one should be that Kyle, with a stellar resume at Logan, only moved up to be an assistant coach at a so-so high major program. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @austinsaluki

Some names I would love: 

Geoff Alexander- Illini assistant, dad is coach of powerhouse Lincoln. Well respected family in basketball. 

Please, not Paul Lusk.

Good Lord, that is a bad list. I’m going to pretend that wasn’t actually posted. 

Agree! Paul Lusk was a flop at Mo. State

Throwing a few names out - no particular order:

Ben McCollum .... Northwest Missouri State

Dean Oliver .... Wisconsin (played at Iowa, was an assistant at Redturd State)

Dane Fife ..... HC for 10 years at Purdue FW and assistant to Izzo (great recruiter) - think he's out of coaching currently and doing TV

Brandon Brantley or Terry Johnson .... Purdue

Bino Ranson .... Depaul (supposed to be a great recruiter, assistant at Maryland for years)

-------

rumor is that Porter Moser might be next Ohio State coach and Medved (formerly of Drake) might be headed to Michigan

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 164

Share: