45.5 K Views
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki44

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @85dawg

OK with Kyle with a stipulation in his contract “no nepotism”

As I have posted at least one time per year during Mullins tenure that nepotism is rarely if ever a recipe for success.

I think having Tyler at John A benefits SIU and Kyle if that’s the route they go.  I like Howard to stay on staff but let the new coach build his staff with no stipulations.  

Wonder how concerned one should be that Kyle, with a stellar resume at Logan, only moved up to be an assistant coach at a so-so high major program. 

has coached in D1 2 years - I consider JC glorified High School. Could work I guess. Rich Herrin was a tremendously experienced high school coach and pulled SIU out of the darkness.

I watched the JC National Championship last year and was not impressed. Tyler had one very good player and that won the game. Looked like alley ball to me.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

As I have posted at least one time per year during Mullins tenure that nepotism is rarely if ever a recipe for success.

I think having Tyler at John A benefits SIU and Kyle if that’s the route they go.  I like Howard to stay on staff but let the new coach build his staff with no stipulations.  

Wonder how concerned one should be that Kyle, with a stellar resume at Logan, only moved up to be an assistant coach at a so-so high major program. 

has coached in D1 2 years - I consider JC glorified High School. Could work I guess. Rich Herrin was a tremendously experienced high school coach and pulled SIU out of the darkness.

I watched the JC National Championship last year and was not impressed. Tyler had one very good player and that won the game. Looked like alley ball to me.

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I don’t mind looking at lower levels, but maybe it’s best to stay away from Juco ball. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I don’t mind looking at lower levels, but maybe it’s best to stay away from Juco ball. 

Kyle is not a current JUCO coach.  He’s been at Mizzou for two years and has shown he’s able to recruit there.  Now you can 100% question his role in Mizzou being trash this year but I don’t think Kyle would be a joke hire by any stretch.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Glorified high school ball…haha.  Nothing to say here.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Kyle is not a current JUCO coach.  He’s been at Mizzou for two years and has shown he’s able to recruit there.  Now you can 100% question his role in Mizzou being trash this year but I don’t think Kyle would be a joke hire by any stretch.

easy to recruit when you have a bag of money at MVC level you need to identify a talent early build a relationship for 2 years and then hope they develop 5 stars don't come to the Valley 

ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Repeat- Nepotism is a problem, stipulations or flat statements indicating the same.

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Find the best coach for the job period.  SIU should have some solid applicants.

ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I seriously think Ben McCollum needs to be the first person they call.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @foxman24

Sign me up. Young, midwestern guy with a stellar record, coaching in a rural area, and SIU could give him a nice raise: believed to be making around 275K, according to the internets. 

Better get him before Missouri State cans Ford.

Might be worth it to shoot Tim Leonard an e-mail. 

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @foxman24

I think he's gonna be tough to poach and he might be holding out for a bigger job but IMO you have to give him a call.  He fits all the criteria that Leonard laid out.  He has a history of winning and winning big.

Salukifan32 and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@fraydog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

McCollum has also been mentioned for the Missouri State job fwiw knowing Dana Ford will likely get fired as well. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Check out Luke Martin with Harry Schoreder on Valley Hoops Insider.  Good stuff here:

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Preston Spradlin and Morehead State just won the OVC Championship.  He's a guy I'd give a call to.  

https://twitter.com/low_madness/status/1766660925271015809

Southern1869 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@southern1869)
Dawg Pound Poster

Mullins was making $475k per year. SIU should be able to attract a strong HC applicant pool in the $300-$400k salary range. This was a business decision.

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@johnny-utah 

I agree that it's not "glorified high school ball," but there is an element of JUCO ball that emphasizes highlight-reel action. After all, the whole point of it is for kids to get recruited to good D1 programs. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 164

Share: