Clear all

Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Looked Spradlin up. Very solid resume, earns $260K a year. Hope we reach out to him, as well as McCollum.

Also, someone posted quite a few hours ago that SIU has reached out to the Youngstown coach (not sure what the source was for this tidbit). His overall record isn't spectacular because his first few years weren't too good, and his only postseason appearance is in the NIT, but there has been steady improvement. The Youngstown job was ranked the least appealing in the Horizon a few years ago, so it looks like he's done a pretty good job under less-than-perfect circumstances. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Looked Spradlin up. Very solid resume, earns $260K a year. Hope we reach out to him, as well as McCollum.

Also, someone posted quite a few hours ago that SIU has reached out to the Youngstown coach (not sure what the source was for this tidbit). His overall record isn't spectacular because his first few years weren't too good, and his only postseason appearance is in the NIT, but there has been steady improvement. The Youngstown job was ranked the least appealing in the Horizon a few years ago, so it looks like he's done a pretty good job under less-than-perfect circumstances. 

Kevin Sweeney on Twitter (who was critical of SIU firing Mullins on Field of 68) said that SIU should call Preston Spradlin and Jerrod Calhoun and give the job to whoever says "yes" first.

I think Calhoun is pretty impressive.  Youngstown State hasn't hit an NCAA's yet under him but as you said, not a great job at all. 

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Kevin Sweeney on Twitter (who was critical of SIU firing Mullins on Field of 68) said that SIU should call Preston Spradlin and Jerrod Calhoun and give the job to whoever says "yes" first.

I think Calhoun is pretty impressive.  Youngstown State hasn't hit an NCAA's yet under him but as you said, not a great job at all. 

Ugh. Glad it's not my job to hire a new guy. 

Everyone mentioned in this thread just seems "meh" to me: will they really be an upgrade? 

Time will tell, I guess. 

And as I posted in another thread (or maybe in this one earlier), speaking of "time will tell": will BM be hired as a head coach soon? Are there ADs salivating over his availability? 

Time will tell.

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @austinsaluki

Ugh. Glad it's not my job to hire a new guy. 

Everyone mentioned in this thread just seems "meh" to me: will they really be an upgrade? 

Time will tell, I guess. 

And as I posted in another thread (or maybe in this one earlier), speaking of "time will tell": will BM be hired as a head coach soon? Are there ADs salivating over his availability? 

Time will tell.

I get where you're coming from. There's not really a "sexy" name on the list to this point (though a guy who has won four national titles has a lot of appeal to me, even if it's D-II). Spradlin and Calhoun took dead-end jobs and have built those programs steadily. Whether any of these guys has it in him to completely rebuild a roster through the portal (as is likely to be the case at SIU) and eventually get us back into the postseason is a valid question.

That said, do you have an ideal candidate at this point, and what would you be looking for?

As for Mullins? Even though a move to the Big East after being let go in the MVC would be a case of "failing upward," I've got this crazy and probably idiotic notion of him possibly landing at DePaul as head coach. Everything else they've tried there over the past 30 years has failed, so why not take a chance on someone with deep Chicago-area roots who would run a squeaky-clean program and potentially is a very good head coach if he improves in certain areas? If that doesn't happen, I could see him landing someplace in the MAC or Horizon. But more likely in the short term is that he winds up back as an assistant with Moser, whether it's Oklahoma or somewhere else (Ohio State has been mentioned, but with names like Sean Miller and Dusty May being tossed around there, the competition for that job will be stiff).

This post was modified 2 months ago by AJCSaluki

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
salukis60
(@salukis60)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I need to read up more on them, but at first glance, Spradlin, Calhoun, and McCollum all look like great candidates to me. Quite a bit better than some of the other names I’ve seen thrown out. 

I was curious about salaries. 

Looks like Spradlin received a contract extension from Morehead State after last season that puts him around 260K. 

Calhoun received an extension in 2002 that put him at 300K.

And McCollum is reported to be making around 275K at Northwest Missouri. 

SIU could give each of them a healthy bump in salary.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukis60

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1766845385564213421

Damn. Now we have to compete with MSU. They likely have more money to throw around. 

Edit:

Although, Ford was making 425K at MSU; Mullins was making at least 475K here. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

If Kyle is the guy or whoever it is, would be nice to bring NJ Benson home.  He should have never gotten out of Southern Illinois.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

If Smithpeters is such an incredible candidate, you’d think Missouri State would show some interest. Guessing that won’t be the case.

SlyDawg, Saluki44 and siufan6 reacted
ReplyQuote
siufan6
(@siufan6)
Abe Martin Field Poster

https://twitter.com/low_madness/status/1766837161549004862?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Corey Gipson is an interesting choice. He’s done okay at Austin Peay.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

I think as of now I'd want Spradlin out of all the realistic names being mentioned. I hope he's interviewed 

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I would expect SIU to offer a salary in the ballpark of $350k this time around. 

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

If Kyle is the guy or whoever it is, would be nice to bring NJ Benson home.  He should have never gotten out of Southern Illinois.

As a 19-(a long time ago) alum of MVTHS, I wholeheartedly agree.

ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)

Posted by: @siufan6

https://twitter.com/low_madness/status/1766837161549004862?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Corey Gipson is an interesting choice. He’s done okay at Austin Peay.

I'm skeptical of Gipson but open to the idea: didn't he simply just take 3 fairly solid MVC-level players with him to lower levels (NW State and AP) and find success?  

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 164

Share: