Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.5 K Views
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Only time will tell about the Nagy hire but I'm kind of with @ia-maroon, Nagy is probably a solid hire, but not a rock start hire, and more than likely we'll at least maintain our mediocrity (winning seasons / no NCAA or NIT) going forward with a different style of play.  Or we may get somewhat better and make the NCAA tournament a 2 or if we're lucky 3 times over the next 6 or more years.  I think its equally low probabilities that we'll get worse or we'll return to the 2000's run of success with Nagy at the helm.
I was not initially sold on Spradlin but with some research he became my first choice of the existing head coaches.  The McCollum guy would have been my #2 choice.  My first preference would have a well-recognized top talent & hungry top-tier assistant to takeover.

The search is over now and we have our guy; again he seems very solid and will bring a new style of play and level of energy to SIU Arena which I am very much looking forward to watching next season.

Go Coach Nagy!!  GO DAWGS!

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
(@ia-maroon)
Dawg Pound Poster

@bleedfknmaroon25 

I suppose some people buy the Corrola and some buy the Tesla (I'd buy a Toyota, but the guy making Teslas is shaking the world).

I have no idea what "appropriate amount of winning" means. I am hoping for an energetic, let's get after it press conference. I never got that with Mullins, but I appreciated a lot about him (he simply didn't win and that's how it goes).

I was hoping for a home run. I can't help but feel like the grounder to advance the runner is where we are. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@ia-maroon What would be a home run and why? What are your criteria for a home run? A lot of the candidates we had are up for REALLY good jobs.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

this guy has 9 post season appearance in 12 years has succeeded at every level he’s been at and is a great offensive and big man coach. He’s probably the best coach we have hired in years to be honest 

Saloukeyfan, Rockin' Dawg, NickEvansStan and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ia-maroon

@bleedfknmaroon25 

I suppose some people buy the Corrola and some buy the Tesla (I'd buy a Toyota, but the guy making Teslas is shaking the world).

I have no idea what "appropriate amount of winning" means. I am hoping for an energetic, let's get after it press conference. I never got that with Mullins, but I appreciated a lot about him (he simply didn't win and that's how it goes).

I was hoping for a home run. I can't help but feel like the grounder to advance the runner is where we are. 

20+ win seasons. A better W/L ratio against the top teams/top coaches. Wins in the MVCt. Legitimate post season berths.

There's no reason SIU fans should ever go into a conference game thinking we've got no chance. This isn't the MVC of the 2000's. Hopefully Nagy changes that and quickly.

--Insert something witty here--

Saloukeyfan, Rockin' Dawg, IA-Maroon and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @foxman24

@ia-maroon What would be a home run and why? What are your criteria for a home run? A lot of the candidates we had are up for REALLY good jobs.

I think @ia-maroon just answered... but I will 'take a swing' too at this fair question: my "home run" definition would be in a six-year contract period at least 3 MVC regular season and Arch Madness championships, 3 trips to the NCAA tournament and a 0.500 record in the tournament; and at least 1 if not 2 deep NIT runs in the years the MVC is a one-bid conference again.

A "Grand Slam" hire would be a Weber 2.0 / Painter 2.0 redux.

Go Dawgs!

IA-Maroon reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)

Posted by: @airdawg86

Only time will tell about the Nagy hire but I'm kind of with @ia-maroon, Nagy is probably a solid hire, but not a rock start hire, and more than likely we'll at least maintain our mediocrity (winning seasons / no NCAA or NIT) going forward with a different style of play.  Or we may get somewhat better and make the NCAA tournament a 2 or if we're lucky 3 times over the next 6 or more years.  I think its equally low probabilities that we'll get worse or we'll return to the 2000's run of success with Nagy at the helm.
I was not initially sold on Spradlin but with some research he became my first choice of the existing head coaches.  The McCollum guy would have been my #2 choice.  My first preference would have a well-recognized top talent & hungry top-tier assistant to takeover.

The search is over now and we have our guy; again he seems very solid and will bring a new style of play and level of energy to SIU Arena which I am very much looking forward to watching next season.

Go Coach Nagy!!  GO DAWGS!

The guy has been a winner in the postseason everywhere he has been. 8 NCAA and NIT bids in the last 12 years. I'll take anything anywhere close to that level of success.

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

The KEY to all this success relies on 8 letters

NIL MONEY

St Louis U aledge NIL money is 2.5 million with 2.5 million waiting in the wings after the first 2.5 million is gone 

So we (the university) needs to get on the train or be left in the station  

it’s what is happening now in college athletics 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Posted by: @airdawg86

Posted by: @foxman24

I think @ia-maroon just answered... but I will 'take a swing' too at this fair question: my "home run" definition would be in a six-year contract period at least 3 MVC regular season and Arch Madness championships, 3 trips to the NCAA tournament and a 0.500 record in the tournament; and at least 1 if not 2 deep NIT runs in the years the MVC is a one-bid conference again.

A "Grand Slam" hire would be a Weber 2.0 / Painter 2.0 redux.

How do you know Nagy isn't Weber 2.0 or Painter 2.0? You guys are saying he isn't a home run hire and he hasn't even coached a game yet.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ia-maroon)
Dawg Pound Poster

I agree that only time will tell, and I'll always be a Saluki Basketball fan no matter who is there. I was simply hoping for more. Those guys are up for some really good jobs... I want us to be that really good job. Maybe he sets us up to be that place. 

Let's see what he can do. I don't see him rated as highly as some. I see the records, I look at those wins and who they were against and I also look to see who was chasing him... looks like it was us.. and us alone. 

I'm hoping that there is more to this and that it's part of a larger future strategic plan. 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@ia-maroon so if this guy isn’t a winner than Mullins must have been an awful hire to your standards. This guy can be that bad base in what you say

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki

Posted by: @kiwiball

The KEY to all this success relies on 8 letters

NIL MONEY

St Louis U aledge NIL money is 2.5 million with 2.5 million waiting in the wings after the first 2.5 million is gone 

So we (the university) needs to get on the train or be left in the station  

it’s what is happening now in college athletics 

No need to compare us to SLU, that level of money will never be raised here. The A10 like it or not is a huge step up in money from the MVC. SLU is loaded. We need to compete with the other MVC schools, not A10 schools. Indiana State is looking to have 300,000 in NIL next season, that should be a goal for us too. That is a level we can obtain i believe, if we had a decent NIL initiative actually raising money, which we do not right now.

ReplyQuote
Cowboydawg
(@cowboydawg)

Everyone wants a “rock star” hire in these situations. Let’s face it, we’re not high enough on the pecking order to obtain that. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ia-maroon)
Dawg Pound Poster

@dunkledog 

Probably not who I would have gone after. I enjoyed Mullins the human, he didn't win. He was given a shot and it didn't work out. 

Nagy has won, no doubt. I do think that there is a level of winning that has to be considered. I personally don't see IUPUI and other teams in that conference as stand-out wins. He did win the games that he should have won with a team that maybe shouldn't have won, so there's that. 

He can coach. He just isn't the coach that I was hoping for. I am really hoping that he can help bring more than we've had. I am nervously waiting for the presser today. Leaders are always leading so let's see what he says. 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Posted by: @ia-maroon

@dunkledog 

Probably not who I would have gone after. I enjoyed Mullins the human, he didn't win. He was given a shot and it didn't work out. 

Nagy has won, no doubt. I do think that there is a level of winning that has to be considered. I personally don't see IUPUI and other teams in that conference as stand-out wins. He did win the games that he should have won with a team that maybe shouldn't have won, so there's that. 

He can coach. He just isn't the coach that I was hoping for. I am really hoping that he can help bring more than we've had. I am nervously waiting for the presser today. Leaders are always leading so let's see what he says. 

gotta stop using those two teams as the example if you want to be taken seriously there are much better teams than those in the horizon. Teams that would have been at the top of our league if they were in it. Hall Oakland beat Kentucky this year and they had nit teams also. He had multiple ncaa tourny appearances there and frankly his team was better than ours was during the Mullins and Barry era 

ReplyQuote
Page 160 / 164

Share: