Green Bay

Milwaukee

Northern KY

Forte Wayne

Cleveland St.

Robert Morris

IUPUI

Detroit Mercy 

Frankly, his team won 18 games (13-7 in conference) this year. Their boards (or any board) are not crowded with people who are sad about him leaving. 

It was mentioned that we aren't the program to draw coaches. I agree. That sucks.  I felt like this was a chance. 

I don't agree that SIU gets beat by Wright State this year, but we'll never know. 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

https://twitter.com/nlorensensports/status/1773739703478501540?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

He ALLEGEDLY turned us down to James Madison?  The Sun Belt conference is well below the MVC in ALL metrics.  James Madison had an incredible run, but that was shouldered by multiple grad students, including a power 5 xfer who is no longer eligible.  Their best player entered the transfer portal so this will be a full rebuild, similar to SIU, just in a worse conference.  Odd choice IMO.  He was the coach I really hoped took over the reigns though so this is partially based on jealousy if I'm being honest.  : )  

TJ McFlys, AirDawg86, Quatros Saluki and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ia-maroon

@dunkledog 

Oakland 

Youngstown St. 

Wright State

Green Bay

Milwaukee

Northern KY

Forte Wayne

Cleveland St.

Robert Morris

IUPUI

Detroit Mercy 

Frankly, his team won 18 games (13-7 in conference) this year. Their boards (or any board) are not crowded with people who are sad about him leaving. 

It was mentioned that we aren't the program to draw coaches. I agree. That sucks.  I felt like this was a chance. 

I don't agree that SIU gets beat by Wright State this year, but we'll never know. 

so, did you simply join so you could spend the next 5 years bitching about the coach? Because that is all you have contributed to the board so far. Are you dean?

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @quatroschallengesaluki

Posted by: @airdawg86

Posted by: @foxman24

@ia-maroon What would be a home run and why? What are your criteria for a home run? A lot of the candidates we had are up for REALLY good jobs.

I think @ia-maroon just answered... but I will 'take a swing' too at this fair question: my "home run" definition would be in a six-year contract period at least 3 MVC regular season and Arch Madness championships, 3 trips to the NCAA tournament and a 0.500 record in the tournament; and at least 1 if not 2 deep NIT runs in the years the MVC is a one-bid conference again.

A "Grand Slam" hire would be a Weber 2.0 / Painter 2.0 redux.

How do you know Nagy isn't Weber 2.0 or Painter 2.0? You guys are saying he isn't a home run hire and he hasn't even coached a game yet.

I don't; his previous track records at SDSU - both D2 & D1 - and at Wright State don't exactly scream 2.0.  Nagy is most certainly a solid hire, but not 2.0, if it was 2.0 we would still be hashing on about KSP, the TA&M guy, etc., as he is working the sidelines of a P5 school still playing in the tournament.  IMO.

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @foxman24

@ia-maroon What would be a home run and why? What are your criteria for a home run? A lot of the candidates we had are up for REALLY good jobs.

I think @ia-maroon just answered... but I will 'take a swing' too at this fair question: my "home run" definition would be in a six-year contract period at least 3 MVC regular season and Arch Madness championships, 3 trips to the NCAA tournament and a 0.500 record in the tournament; and at least 1 if not 2 deep NIT runs in the years the MVC is a one-bid conference again.

A "Grand Slam" hire would be a Weber 2.0 / Painter 2.0 redux.

How do you know Nagy isn't Weber 2.0 or Painter 2.0? You guys are saying he isn't a home run hire and he hasn't even coached a game yet.

I don't; his previous track records at SDSU - both D2 & D1 - and at Wright State don't exactly scream 2.0.  Nagy is most certainly a solid hire, but not 2.0, if it was 2.0 we would still be hashing on about KSP, the TA&M guy, etc., as he is working the sidelines of a P5 school still playing in the tournament.  IMO.

I mean, 5 NCAA and 3NIT in the last 12 years is pretty damn good. Not sure what you’re expecting exactly lol 😂 

ReplyQuote
(@va-saluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@ia-maroon

ReplyQuote
(@deshane)
Saluki Stadium Poster

I swear, some people are NEVER happy and always bitching!  What a sad way to live life.  

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
(@va-saluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@insaluki First off, I am pleased that SIU was able to hire Coach Nagy.  His record and experience is very good and we should be happy that we got him.

Spradlin to JMU is not a surprise.  JMU is a sleeping giant with a lot of money and beautiful facilities.  That job will also pay close to a $million a year.  Arena is about 1-2 years old and very nice.  Having been on both campuses in the last couple of years - I can't blame Spradlin for taking that job.  Also, it's in a beautiful part of our country!

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

James Madison has a lot invested into athletics (look at their big revenue sports this year) and a brand new arena.  Don’t blame Spradlin at all for taking JMU.

I was fine with a stepping-stone coach but I don’t think Spradlin would have lasted long at SIU.  He might have been like Steve Lutz at WKU this year leaving after 1 year even if they didn’t make an NCAA Tournament.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

The KEY to all this success relies on 8 letters

NIL MONEY

St Louis U aledge NIL money is 2.5 million with 2.5 million waiting in the wings after the first 2.5 million is gone 

So we (the university) needs to get on the train or be left in the station  

it’s what is happening now in college athletics 

No need to compare us to SLU, that level of money will never be raised here. The A10 like it or not is a huge step up in money from the MVC. SLU is loaded. We need to compete with the other MVC schools, not A10 schools. Indiana State is looking to have 300,000 in NIL next season, that should be a goal for us too. That is a level we can obtain i believe, if we had a decent NIL initiative actually raising money, which we do not right now.

Not comparing us with SLU. Just mentioned that as a point of reference.  To get athletes that will take us from the 17-20 win bracket to 22–25 win bracket.  Is NIL MONEY. So we cannot say to a HC. gets us wins with paltry NIL MONEY. The administration needs to talk the talk and walk the walk.  Don’t say win and not provide sources for them to win. 
It begs to question, why are we so far behind in this NIL PROCESS 

ReplyQuote
(@sandman95)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

The more I think about it, the more happy I am that we got Nagy instead of Spradlin. I get the impression that with Spradlin he'd be on to the next shiny new thing after one good season. Not so sure that'd be the case with Nagy.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with looking to better yourself, but I prefer the more secure route so long as it comes with the appropriate amount of winning.

I was thinking the same thing.  

ReplyQuote
(@sandman95)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

just because you guys post ad nauseam doesn’t mean you have the right to pile on the new poster who spoke his view.  Just be nice!

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @va-saluki

@insaluki First off, I am pleased that SIU was able to hire Coach Nagy.  His record and experience is very good and we should be happy that we got him.

Spradlin to JMU is not a surprise.  JMU is a sleeping giant with a lot of money and beautiful facilities.  That job will also pay close to a $million a year.  Arena is about 1-2 years old and very nice.  Having been on both campuses in the last couple of years - I can't blame Spradlin for taking that job.  Also, it's in a beautiful part of our country!

As I said.............. "He was the coach I really hoped took over the reigns though so this is partially based on jealousy if I'm being honest.  : ) "  LOL  

I had a really good feeling about him.  I'm sure he'll be successful there and even, perhaps, build something special while he's there. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by INSaluki

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @ia-maroon

@dunkledog 

Oakland 

Youngstown St. 

Wright State

Green Bay

Milwaukee

Northern KY

Forte Wayne

Cleveland St.

Robert Morris

IUPUI

Detroit Mercy 

so, did you simply join so you could spend the next 5 years bitching about the coach? Because that is all you have contributed to the board so far. Are you dean?

or saluki 4 life?

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

A couple of points about these discussions:

1. More than a few people who cover college basketball for a living have called Nagy an excellent hire. Now, these people could be wrong and often are, but I don't recall anyone making such observations about previous SIU basketball coaching hires -- not Mullins and certainly not Hinson.

2. The true mid-major "rock star" coaches were either unattainable or beyond our means. Bucky McMillan is under contract at Samford into the 2030s and probably wouldn't leave unless the SEC calls. Pat Kelsey, probably the best of the bunch, was making $1.1 million at the College of Charleston before Louisville hired him. Spradlin probably came the closest to "rock star" status of anyone on our list, and as several people have stated, there were a number of good reasons for him to go to James Madison. And no, we probably wouldn't have kept him around very long, and JMU might not, either.

3. Everyone seems to be trashing the Horizon and IUPUI et.al., but I guarantee that if we had hired Spradlin, folks also would be lambasting him for running up his record against OVC teams such as Southern Indiana, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois. And honesty also compels me to report that SIU hasn't exactly dominated either Horizon or OVC teams in head-to-head matchups over the past 10 years.

4. A few days ago, in posting about another topic, I urged people to read Dusty May's resume in the years before he went to FAU. It certainly was solid, but did anything about it scream "rock star" status? I think not, He worked for some good coaches and good programs, but to put it bluntly, he was a career assistant. Now, May is an outlier with the Final Four appearance, but Nagy could accomplish considerably less at SIU -- such as two NCAAs and maybe an NIT or two in five years -- and it would be considered a job well done, at least in my mind.

5. Would you take Cuonzo Martin or the guy UIC hired over Nagy? To me, we're the leaders in the clubhouse in the MVC coach hiring race, pending what happens at Drake and Indiana State if Schertz leaves.

Let's support Nagy, be optimistic about it and see how it plays out.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
Page 161 / 164

Share: