2685 Reactions
45.3 K Views
(@sandman95)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

Posted by: @sandman95

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

The longer this goes, the more I fear it is Johnson. Would much rather have Smithpeters than him, no question. Especially considering what I hear could be the motivation for hiring Johnson. But I’ll keep my mouth shut until that happens. Still hopeful for Spradlin but I’m a bit nervous about it. 

The only “fear” I have with Johnson is it’s clearly Lane getting his guy again.  But there’s nothing wrong with that hire at all.  It’s an associate head coach of an SEC team that just won an NCAA Tournament game last night

Please stop!  There is a ton wrong with it considering the administration said one thing and is doing another for a complete rebuild.  And my gut tells me the administration over estimated the demand for the SIU head coaching job.

What do you mean the administration is “doing another for a complete rebuild”?

if they hire Johnson they are going against what Leonard said in his interview.  Please read the whole quote for context!

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

It’s always been our man Kyle Smithpeters as I said from the very beginning. Just you wait.

And if you’re wrong, I expect that you’re going to come back and admit it to everyone. 

Either way, you’re insuffereable. 

you think I’m insufferable. Wait for the next 5 years.

Will it be 5 more years without postseason basketball like the previous 5 years?  If that’s your expectations of success then you might be in luck.

Wasn’t that the reason everyone wanted Mullins fired haha? So as long as he had a better record against the top teams we are okay with that? 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

The longer this goes, the more I fear it is Johnson. Would much rather have Smithpeters than him, no question. Especially considering what I hear could be the motivation for hiring Johnson. But I’ll keep my mouth shut until that happens. Still hopeful for Spradlin but I’m a bit nervous about it. 

The only “fear” I have with Johnson is it’s clearly Lane getting his guy again.  But there’s nothing wrong with that hire at all.  It’s an associate head coach of an SEC team that just won an NCAA Tournament game last night

”His guy” includes check boxes that doesn’t have to do with accomplishments. Same as our women’s coach, and that’s went well… Not saying that he couldn’t do well for the record. 

For the record, Mullins was an associate head coach that went to the final 4 when we hired him. So forgive me with not being impressed with his position and the tourney win last night. 

AirDawg86 and Sandman95 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @siu_2011

It’s always been our man Kyle Smithpeters as I said from the very beginning. Just you wait.

And if you’re wrong, I expect that you’re going to come back and admit it to everyone. 

Either way, you’re insuffereable. 

you think I’m insufferable. Wait for the next 5 years.

Will it be 5 more years without postseason basketball like the previous 5 years?  If that’s your expectations of success then you might be in luck.

Wasn’t that the reason everyone wanted Mullins fired haha? So as long as he had a better record against the top teams we are okay with that? 

No I would not be okay with that.  5 years is a good enough sample size to hit some kind of postseason tournament.  It only takes 3-4 years to fully build a team in the portal era.  SIU was not hitting a postseason tournament next year with their current team in place so it would have gone to a 7th year, just like Hucky.

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

A fellow on X by the name of Craig Choate is saying a flight left from Marion (Southern Illinois Airport) yesterday morning to Lexington, Kentucky. Certainly he is joking when he says John Calipari to SIU, but perhaps a meeting took place with the coveted coach from The Morehead State University in Lexington???

I have zero inside information, however I feel good about the situation. Most universities do not announce major news on a Saturday or Sunday. I believe we are 48 hours away from hearing some positive news. 

GO DAWGS!!!

AirDawg86, Foxman24, Salukifan32 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@sandman95 Almost every hire these days is a complete rebuild.

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Are you guys pumped yet!? Fired Mullins to hire a first time coach!? This is what you all wanted!! Enjoy!!!!

where you the last 5 years when we had a coach who got his butt kicked by every top coach in the valley. Couldn’t get to Sunday, couldn’t win the league, couldn’t coach offense, couldn’t make in game decisions? 

oberkfell, Salukifan32, Rockin' Dawg and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @sandman95

Posted by: @siu_2011

So if it’s not Spradlin, did he pass or did we? I imagine maybe he just wanted more than we could offer. It sounds like Ben M. isn’t going to be the guy at MSU according to their board anyway. Some were saying he wanted too much, if that’s the case he isn’t coming here.

I think maybe our leadership over estimated the draw of SIU given our resources and NIL? Established coaches, especially those looking to move up, want a good situation in that area, especially if a complete rebuild is on the horizon. It may very well require us to hire someone looking to be a head coach as more incentive.

”if a rebuild…”. We have three players left that maybe have a combined 300 minutes last year.  It is most definitely a complete rebuild.

That was entirely the point.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

”His guy” includes check boxes that doesn’t have to do with accomplishments. Same as our women’s coach, and that’s went well… 

I don’t get how Mullins gets 6+ years to build his program but people are trying to pretend the women’s hire was a bad one after two seasons.  They’re not the same level of job too.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
siufan6
(@siufan6)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Putting the pieces together here this seems to be a total smoke and mirrors show. I’ve been in corporate America long enough to know how this works. 

Lane knows who he wants and it hasn’t changed imo. They sent the AD out to save face and get everyone excited, he said all the right things. 

now if Mullins was looking for other jobs this past December it was because he saw the writing on the wall after he was not given an extension at the end of last season. Which would make sense. 

I have no inside information, but I know how these things go. I could be 100% wrong on this and hope I am, but time will tell.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

A fellow on X by the name of Craig Choate is saying a flight left from Marion (Southern Illinois Airport) yesterday morning to Lexington, Kentucky. Certainly he is joking when he says John Calipari to SIU, but perhaps a meeting took place with the coveted coach from The Morehead State University in Lexington???

I have zero inside information, however I feel good about the situation. Most universities do not announce major news on a Saturday or Sunday. I believe we are 48 hours away from hearing some positive news. 

GO DAWGS!!!

Morehead isn't far from Lexington, so it's not out of the question. I do know that he and Calipari are close. In fact, it's crossed my mind that if he stays at Morehead for now and Calipari shakes up his staff, Spradlin could wind up at UK and maybe even be anointed coach-in-waiting.

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
siufan6
(@siufan6)
Abe Martin Field Poster

The other question I have is why the mass exodus of the players last Sunday? Was something told to them at that time about the possible coaching candidates? 

I know the portal opened up the next day, but it seemed like at noon Sunday everyone jumped in the portal except a select few.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @siufan6

The other question I have is why the mass exodus of the players last Sunday? Was something told to them at that time about the possible coaching candidates? 

I know the portal opened up the next day, but it seemed like at noon Sunday everyone jumped in the portal except a select few.

I’m pretty sure the players come back from Spring Break and have exit meetings with whoever is left running the show, I think it’s Jerrance.  So the timing was they came back from Spring Break.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

So it’s smithpeters Johnson or Kent Williams?

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Just get the Spradlin thing done, so we can focus on rebuilding and stop with these idiotic rumors.

ReplyQuote
Page 67 / 164

Share: