2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @deshane

I have no dog in this fight but I will point out that KYLE Smithpeters, based on his resume, is more qualified for the job than Bryan was when he was hired.  Ten years of sustained success as a head coach, record as a very capable recruiter, etc.  Jack Hartman came to SIU as a juco head coach and was successful.  Of course, then there is Van Winkle!  🤔  So there is that!  Have at it boys!  😀 

Mullins was the Associate HC for a Final Four team. End of argument!

Grimper57 and siufan6 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @dunkledog

Posted by: @insaluki

@dunkledog 

Another keyboard warrior spewing insults without reading the context of the post.  My fault though for even responding to a 250 post troll.  

there is no context. You don’t want it to be Kyle. That’s fine it’s not even just you two or three people have blamed him for Missouri. That’s not his fault. He isn’t the head coach. That’s like blaming Howard for Mullins lack of coaching skills 

the quality of the assistants certainly contribute to the team's success or lack of it - watch Tom Izzo - sometimes it's an assistant drawing up the play in the huddle  - and certainly the assistants have a ton of input in practice on development, etc.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mr_woogers

I have no dog in this fight but I will point out that KYLE Smithpeters, based on his resume, is more qualified for the job than Bryan was when he was hired.  Ten years of sustained success as a head coach, record as a very capable recruiter, etc.  Jack Hartman came to SIU as a juco head coach and was successful.  Of course, then there is Van Winkle!  🤔  So there is that!  Have at it boys!  😀 

Being an assistant coach is much different than being a head coach.  Mullins turned out to be a terrible in-game coach.  His rotations were all over the place (too many guys playing too many minutes and guys not seeing the floor that should have been seeing more of the floor) and he made mistakes with timeouts like the Bradley home game last year carrying 2 timeouts with him for no reason.  

Again, maybe 10 years down the line Mullins gets another HC job and he's the next Porter Moser.  SIU can't afford to wait that long.  It's been 16 years since they've touched any postseason tournament.  I know I'll be rooting for Mullins though wherever he goes.

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

@dunkledog 

Another keyboard warrior spewing insults without reading the context of the post.  My fault though for even responding to a 250 post troll.  

there is no context. You don’t want it to be Kyle. That’s fine it’s not even just you two or three people have blamed him for Missouri. That’s not his fault. He isn’t the head coach. That’s like blaming Howard for Mullins lack of coaching skills 

the quality of the assistants certainly contribute to the team's success or lack of it - watch Tom Izzo - sometimes it's an assistant drawing up the play in the huddle  - and certainly the assistants have a ton of input in practice on development, etc.

I also brought up Mizzou being awful this year. But you're going too far with it by saying things like "sustained failure". They made the round of 32 last year lol

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

While I'm keeping an open mind about Smithpeters, I'm hoping Leonard and whoever else might be involved in this process are not fixated on him and at least conduct some quick interviews with a few other candidates. I did endorse Mullins' hiring and he certainly was the logical choice, but my only gripe about the situation was that there seemed to be scant consideration of anyone else. Of course, he was the people's choice at the time, and hiring someone else probably would have resulted in an insurrection among the fanbase. There's no "people's choice" this time as far as I can tell.

And I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but it also would not shock me if an "under the radar" candidate emerges. That's why someone like McCollum might have a chance if they decide to follow the Schertz blueprint. He's been a consistent winner with years of experience in MVC territory. Based on some of the reports out there, he's being paid about $275K a year, maybe a bit more, so he might be affordable if he's willing to accept a modest raise to move up to Division I.

ReplyQuote
terrier1
(@terrier1)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

Hearing it’s Kyle.  

what a cluster this is 

are you hearing he’s the guy?

Over the last 1,000 DI hires, what percent came from assistants of programs that were winless in their conference?

0.00-something?

True - Mizzou absolutely sucks thanks to the Smithpeters hire. (and the hc)

they also have a top 4 recruiting class for next year with four 4 star recruits (two 7 footers) and a 3 star 6'4" PG

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Recruiting obviously is very important but you also need someone with serious coaching chops if, as Leonard said, you’re going to feel good about head-to-head matchups with high-caliber guys like DeVries, Wardle, Schertz, etc.

I don’t know how after replacing Mullins you would go with another young alum who likely would have a brother on the coaching staff, coming from a program that is having a historically bad year (yes, I know Smithpeters is not the main reason but he is part of that staff).

Also, it’s never sat especially well with me that Logan has had ZERO recruiting relationship with SIU under multiple Saluki coaching staffs. The Smithpeters clan is certainly part of that equation over the years.

ReplyQuote
(@rowdy1)
Dawg Pound Poster

@salukiworld Mike Hopkins just became available from University of Washington. A long time Jim Boehiem assistant.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Leonard said he wants a coach that is on par with Jacobson, Wardle and Devries… if he turns around and hires Kyle Smithpeters I’ll laugh my ass off. This team is going to be such garbage over the next 5 years if we hire Smithpeters. He can recruit non qualifiers, and then won games with D1 talent against community colleges, that isn’t recruiting D1. He will get circles run around him in the MVC. This is going to be a disaster. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld

Being an assistant coach is much different than being a head coach.  Mullins turned out to be a terrible in-game coach.  His rotations were all over the place (too many guys playing too many minutes and guys not seeing the floor that should have been seeing more of the floor) and he made mistakes with timeouts like the Bradley home game last year carrying 2 timeouts with him for no reason.  

Again, maybe 10 years down the line Mullins gets another HC job and he's the next Porter Moser.  SIU can't afford to wait that long.  It's been 16 years since they've touched any postseason tournament.  I know I'll be rooting for Mullins though wherever he goes.

That Loyola team played a very good defense and I think that was Bryan Mullins, but I basically agree with everything you said.

Pulling guys out after 2 minutes never made sense to me. Players were often not in long enough to get into a rhythm, etc. I believe he really had a hard time deciding who should be playing and I didn't agree with guys like Stulic hitting the bench in the middle of season and never playing again. Hornecker burning a redshirt for 40 minutes of play. Sharp burning a redshirt for even less. Too many recruiting misses and portal misses. Many other examples.

Although I would have given him a short extension, getting beat every which way by Bradley,  Drake, UNI for years now wraps it up for me. No reason in hell they should be better than us every year.

This was a sad decision for SIU. Whether it was a bad decision for SIU depends on the next guy they hire and how it works out.

I think Bryan will have a good career as a coach. I certainly hope so.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Leonard said he wants a coach that is on par with Jacobson, Wardle and Devries… if he turns around and hires Kyle Smithpeters I’ll laugh my ass off. This team is going to be such garbage over the next 5 years if we hire Smithpeters. He can recruit non qualifiers, and then won games with D1 talent against community colleges, that isn’t recruiting D1. He will get circles run around him in the MVC. This is going to be a disaster. 

I think you're probably right. If they fire Mullins after all the good things he did for SIU and hire Smithpeters, I will personally campaign for Leonard getting fired. Hope he's not that dumb.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I think you're probably right. If they fire Mullins after all the good things he did for SIU and hire Smithpeters, I will personally campaign for Leonard getting fired. Hope he's not that dumb.

Agree, Leonard absolutely has to get this right. You can't just can Mullins (like him or not) and bring in someone who can't get it done either. The gunsights will very quickly train on Leonard as well.

Personally, not sure what I think about Leonard. But he has clearly made a move that defines his tenure for the next few years. Someone posted above, "never underestimate the ability of SIU'S administrators to screw it up." This is so historically accurate...sadly.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @spike

I hope McCollum from Northwest Missouri State is considered.

Its D2 but he has built a strong program. Multiple D2 national titles.

Ties to Midwest. From Iowa, played college ball in Iowa and Missouri, coached in Missouri and Kansas.

Still young at 42. 

Granted NWMS is his Alma mater.

McCollum has a very impressive record as a D2 coach... more impressive than Scherz actually. 

I have to think that he's had chances at D1 and wasn't interested, but he would certainly be worth talking to.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

After doing a little poking around, I see that McCollum has been offered some head coaching D1 jobs like Missouri Kansas City and turned them down. Evidently he's interested but he wants the right job.

Currently Northwest Missouri is ranked number four in the country and is 25 - 4. At NWMS, he has had the MIAA Conference Player of the Year 9 years in a row.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr_Woogers

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Our last coach had Domask, Jones and XJ on the same team and managed to finish 257th in offensive efficiency. That's the definition of circles getting ran around you. I mean go ahead and post his record against those coaches the last 3 years or so. To me it sounds like you're describing what we were already dealing with 

Saluki 69, Rockin' Dawg, Austinsaluki and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 164

Share: