SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
Saloukeyfan
(@saloukeyfan)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

https://twitter.com/illinimbb/status/1767582250856546764?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Congrats to Marcus. He is a solid person & basketball player. He will be very successful in life. His parents did real good.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Congratulations Marcus on this well-deserved honor. The coaches got it right. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Marcus Domask in a Big Ten Championship win:

26 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds

ReplyQuote
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Marcus Domask in a Big Ten Championship win:

26 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds

He didn’t disappoint.  If he and Shannon can stay hot, they can go pretty far.  Hawkins is the most overrated U of I player in years. 

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Jones with a regular season championship and Domask gets the tournament dub! Congratulations to both and will be rooting for them in the tournament!

Saloukeyfan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I think the success these two had plus others who left the Valley for Power 5/6 programs and had success has greatly affected the number of MVC players entering this year’s portal. I am sure it has made coaches more aware of what may be available for poaching. 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @freedawg

I think the success these two had plus others who left the Valley for Power 5/6 programs and had success has greatly affected the number of MVC players entering this year’s portal. I am sure it has made coaches more aware of what may be available for poaching. 

Couldn't agree more, which is why I (while rooting for them personally) am not actively rooting for their schools.  Something else to consider, AND THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT..............  but their departure could ARGUABLY been a major, if not the, catalyst in Mullins firing.  Note I said catalyst, not the reason. 

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

I do believe that the success that Lance and Marcus had this year compared to their years at SIU made it tough for SIU to continue with Bryan in charge.

ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I still don't know how much I buy it. 
Shouldn't the success they had in their fifth years be (at least partially) attributed to how Bryan has developed them in the previous 4? Also, the players themselves have high ambitions and goals. I'm sure they wanted to prove themselves in a tougher conference. 

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I am kind of getting tired of hearing the argument against Mullins because of what Domask and Jones have done. Look at around at the other talent that has left the league in the last few years. There has been other talent leave that are really good at Power 5 schools and arguably the best of any of them still here(Devries). It’s not like we have had Domask and Jones going up against the swac.  As far as X sometimes it takes losing the top dogs to realize your potential.

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

It comes down to perception. People look at Lance and Marcus and the success they had this year and they wonder why couldn't they win at a "lower" level.

Foxman24 and oberkfell reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Offense or lack thereof is one of the reasons Mullins was let go. Our offense looked disjointed many times. Not enough movement, bad spacing, very few set plays to get shooters open, very predictable, etc. When we had Lance and Marcus our players stood around watching them play. This year our players stood around and watched X. We waited way too long to get into our offense in both the last 2 years resulting in desperation shots at the end of shot clocks. If we ran a better offense when Marcus and Lance were here we would have been better. Mullins deficiencies included poor offense, poor inbound, poor player rotations and usage. Yes, we should have been better when Lance and Marcus were here. Mullins is a very good defensive coach, offensively not so much. Hopefully he gets an assistants job under an offensive savant and learns to run a better offense, much like Porter Moser did under Rick Majerus.

oberkfell reacted
ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88

Offense or lack thereof is one of the reasons Mullins was let go. Our offense looked disjointed many times. Not enough movement, bad spacing, very few set plays to get shooters open, very predictable, etc. When we had Lance and Marcus our players stood around watching them play. This year our players stood around and watched X. We waited way too long to get into our offense in both the last 2 years resulting in desperation shots at the end of shot clocks. If we ran a better offense when Marcus and Lance were here we would have been better. Mullins deficiencies included poor offense, poor inbound, poor player rotations and usage. Yes, we should have been better when Lance and Marcus were here. Mullins is a very good defensive coach, offensively not so much. Hopefully he gets an assistants job under an offensive savant and learns to run a better offense, much like Porter Moser did under Rick Majerus.

I hate that this is going to look like I'm bashing BM, but oh well: he is a good defensive coach in some ways, for sure. But the way our guys would get carved up on switches/screens was appalling. And it was NOT just Ebube; it was the whole team. The extremely short leash on Ebube was maddening; I think he was frustrated that Scottie was not Krutwig and would pull him accordingly, overlooking what he brought to the game.

(Inflammatory political snark)

oberkfell reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Also, 

Lance Jones, Honorable Mention (coaches and media)

Mast (Nebraska)  3rd team/honorable mention

Krikke (Iowa) honorable mention

One thing about Lance and Marcus, they played with a better surrounding cast, which helps. Jones had very few TOs - most of the time, Braden Smith played point.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr_Woogers

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 11

Share: